Thread: bulking diet

bulking diet

If you're a self righteous douchebag, then go bother someone else.

If you don't mind a quick critique, any contructive criticism, I would be duly grateful.

meal 1: 1 cup oats or 2 cups multigrain cheerios/ 40 g whey protein with 6oz pasteurized egg

2: PWO shake 60g whey prot, banana (or other fruit), choice of whole grains (let's say rice, 1/2 cup)

3: Chicken breast with 2-3 cups yams/brown rice/whole grain pasta OR bowl of ~ 3 cups of beans and some meat or small shake on the side to top off the protein.

4:salmon or tuna (or some other fish)/ mixed veggies/ 1/2 cup almonds

5: chicken breast/ 2-3 cups veggies w/ some cheese on top

6: bedtime shake with 6oz past egg

notes: I take EFA supps when i have the money, going to make that a priority. I put glutamine powder and flax in my shakes (except pwo). I cook all my meats in smart balance ***** oil.

ps sorry the macros arent up. When i first started the original verison of this diet it was 3300 cal - 800 cal of prot (about 200g), 500 cal fat (about 100g), and 2000 cal carbs (about 400g).

Height 5'8''
    weight 182 lb
    bf 11-12%
    goal: bulk to 195 and cut to 185 with more muscle/ lower body fat, and enjoy being even more yoked for a while.
    Last edited by RapaciousShark; 07-18-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Roidal is offline Associate Member
    I promise I won't make a self righteous critique, lol

I think calories and macros are looking OK. Make meal 5 as your bedtime, and have those fibrous vegies like broccoli & possibly have few of those almonds that you got in meal 4, so you can slow that nighttime digestion a bit, switch the shake to meal 5.

The only other point I want to make here is timing! Meal 3 would typically be an hour after your PW shake,
    but you probably knew that.

Oh! 1 more thing Glutamine is more beneficial in your PWO than taking it during the day, so add it in.
    Last edited by Roidal; 07-18-2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

thanks roidal. Def touched on some things i didnt know. I've noticed this diet has been great for cutting bc im holding muslce really well and losing fat. I suppose I'll up the calories by about 500 by increasing my portions??

og, and switching meal 5 and 6...my protein shake at bedtime has always been lean - low carb low fat. Now that i switch should i load it up with some oats, pb, and some fruit? esp since i need more cal.
    Last edited by RapaciousShark; 07-18-2008 at 10:05 AM.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    You have your macro calculations screwed up. If you are taking in 100g of fat, then that is 900 calories (9cal/gram of fat). Also, carb cals are a little off, 400g would be 1600 calories. Ratios are pretty decent, you could prob take protein up a bit to 250-275g and take fat down a bit to around 80g. Food choices arent too bad. Stick with yams, oats, beans, and fruit as carb sources, add in some red meat (top round london broil is yummy and relatively lean as well). Looks like a good start tho.

hmm, i read that 1g of fat was 5 cal, 1g of carbs was 5cal, and one g of prot was 4cal. Thanks for correct info.

Ha, still comes out to the same cals tho, thats a hoot!

So i'll lay off some of the nuts (sounded gay), add 50g protein, and increase carbs about 75 -100g? That would increase cals by about 400, and I'll see how that goes.

I need a 7th meal, w/ 50g prot from red meat and 75-100g of whole grains. How should i put that in?
    Last edited by RapaciousShark; 07-18-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: didnt show enough respect

Quote Originally Posted by RapaciousShark View Post
    hmm, i read that 1g of fat was 5 cal, 1g of carbs was 5cal, and one g of prot was 4cal. Thanks for correct info.

Ha, still comes out to the same cals tho, thats a hoot!

So i'll lay off some of the nuts (sounded gay), add 50g protein, and increase carbs about 75 -100g? That would increase cals by about 400, and I'll see how that goes.

I need a 7th meal, w/ 50g prot from red meat and 75-100g of whole grains. How should i put that in?
    LMAO!!!! Yeah lay off th nuts man, come on, lol...All of that sounds about right. Its def 9/fat, 4/carb and protein. Thats werid it came out the same. No need to bump calories up yet. 3400 is probably a pretty good starting point actually (obviously as you gain weight and LBM you will ned to adjust calories, probably every 2 weeks or so). Aim for around 400carb, 275pro, 80fat.

I still need another meal to get that prot. How about meal 7 with some red meat and veggies?

and now that i look at it, it seems like i go a long time w/o carbs - meals 4,5,6, and 7. Is that ok? I feel like i need to put some fruit in my last shake or something.

Ok, I see what your saying, its hard without the per meal macros to see what really going on. But now that I look a little closer, your kind of all over the place. You should be getting approximately the same calories and macros in each meal. So if your gonna eat 7 times a day: 57c, 39p, 11f per meal....Obviously this would have to be adjusted a bit as you dont want 11grams of fat in your PWO (as little fat as possible would be ideal), and you proabably dont need carbs with meal 7 either. But that gives you an idea of what I mean. Eat steak as your protein in meal 6. Do your shake for 7 (hopefully its casein and not whey, whey before bed is damn near pointless bc it absorbs so rapidly) if it isnt casein just eat a lean protein here, egg whites or somthing. Also make meal 7 the only meal of the day that doesnt take carbs as I said, and ad in about 10-15g of fat. Rework using these guidelines. Moral of the story, you need more balance in your meals, and when bulking you definately need carbs in every meal (with the possible exception of the pre-bed meal.

thnks for the help, bro. I'll take your advice, rework and post again.

No problem, sounds good. Your not far off bro, just needs a little more balance.

meal 1: 1 cup oats or 2 cups multigrain cheerios/ 40 g whey protein with 6oz pasteurized egg

2: PWO shake 60g whey prot, banana (or other fruit), choice of whole grains (let's say rice, 1/2 cup)

3: Chicken breast with 2-3 cups yams/brown rice/whole grain pasta OR bowl of ~ 3 cups of beans and some meat or small shake on the side to top off the protein.

4: chicken breast/ 2-3 cups mixture of brown rice/yams/pasta and veggies (mixed in), handfull of almonds

5:chicken breast/pork/beef w/brown rice/yams/etc and veggies (mixed in), hanfull almonds

6: salmon w/ mixed veggies.

7: casein prot. I have sustained release shake w/ like 5 diff kinds of prot, including casein. Also, 1/2 cup sliced avocado.

I need to get the exact macros, which im working on, but here's the revised basic idea. I just cant resist nuts so ive got 'em in 3 and 4 to sustain my fat consumption. Once i get the proper measurements, i should have the right fat distribution with carbs everywhere but 6 and 7. I still dont really grasp the significance of all aspects of a proper diet, so sorry if its still jacked.

Thankyou anyone for your input, especially abbot. Big help dude. I'll think about you when i go for the nuts.

LMAO!!! Ohhh man, thanks for the nuts comment bro, that means a lot to me, lol....Not jacked at all. Looks pretty damn good. Ditch the cheerios for either oats or KashiGoLean cereal. Ad more carbs to 6, swt pot, whatever. Salmon is fine in meal 6 (could also switch in a streak), you need that red meat when bulking. Looks pretty solid as long as the macros are in check.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    LMAO!!! Ohhh man, thanks for the nuts comment bro, that means a lot to me, lol....Not jacked at all. Looks pretty damn good. Ditch the cheerios for either oats or KashiGoLean cereal. Ad more carbs to 6, swt pot, whatever. Salmon is fine in meal 6 (could also switch in a streak), you need that red meat when bulking. Looks pretty solid as long as the macros are in check.
    noted.

i feel good about this diet. Macros on the way, might take a day or so tho to get the info.

thanks again.

Thread Information