BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member

How bad is the rice killing my diet?

OK. I'm addicted to Sushi. I eat it almost everyday. I never really order rolls. Now, If I skip eating the rice,(which I tend to do from time to time) I don't get filled up and I order twice as much fish. So, it tends to get very expensive. With the rice, I spend less and get filled up quicker. My diet is pretty clean. Just curious to what extent the rice is having on my GUT!!!

BLT

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    I dunno you tell us, lets see that gut, lol! Sushi rice (Koshihikari rice) has a GI of 48 which is actually lower than brown rice. So as long as it is REAL sushi rice you should be fine. Depends on goals as well. But I would say as long as your not in strict pre-contest mode, keep sushiing it up my friend. Try asking the sushi rollers if its Koshihikari rice.
    Last edited by abbot138; 07-18-2008 at 02:02 PM.

here is some info on it posted by Goose4 and Pinnacle

Rice is a poor carb.Brown rice is OK in cutting only.There is hardly any difference in calories between a refined carbohydrate like white rice and an unrefined carbohydrate like brown rice but there is a big difference in fiber content. Food that is high in fiber fills you up faster than food stripped of fiber. I can easily finish two cups of white rice but I can hardly go beyond one cup of brown rice without feeling like I have just swallowed a big stone.

They are extremely poor sources of vitamins (particularly vitamins A, B-group, folic acid and C), minerals, antioxidants and phytosterols.They are toxic when raw- there is no doubt about this- it is a fact that no competent source would dispute- they can be extremely dangerous and it is important never to eat them raw or undercooked. Cooking destroys most but not all of the toxins.
    These toxins include enzyme blockers, lectins and other types. once cooked this is often rapidly digestible-giving a high glycemic index (sugar spike).

Yep. Rice is akin to putting water in a Jaguar. Why use an inferior energy source for a high performance machine such as the human body?
    I know it's shunned upon by some in the BB community, but low GI carbs is what the human body functions best off of. Yes, an even low GI carbs PWO too. SHOCKING!

Sooooo based on this, as long as its Lower GI, "authentic" sushi rice, you should be ok.
    Last edited by abbot138; 07-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    I dunno you tell us, lets see that gut, lol! Sushi rice (Koshihikari rice) has a GI of 48 which is actually lower than brown rice. So as long as it is REAL sushi rice you should be fine. Depends on goals as well. But I would say as long as your not in strict pre-contest mode, keep sushiing it up my friend. Try asking the sushi rollers if its Koshihikari rice.

LOL! I have a little bit of a gut, but I'm going all out to get rid of it.

BTW, If that is you in your Avatar WHOLY SHIT, you look great!

Thanks for the info bro!

Peace,

BLT

Quote Originally Posted by BUYLONGTERM View Post
    LOL! I have a little bit of a gut, but I'm going all out to get rid of it.

BTW, If that is you in your Avatar WHOLY SHIT, you look great!

Thanks for the info bro!

Peace,

BLT
    hey thanks bro. yeah im getting there, thanks in large part to this board If your aiming to cut sweet potatoes are your best friend as far as carbs go. Butttt, like I said few people know that true sushi rice has such a low GI, problem is most rice used for sushi in restaurants isnt authentic.

hey thanks bro. yeah im getting there, thanks in large part to this board If your aiming to cut sweet potatoes are your best friend as far as carbs go. Butttt, like I said few people know that true sushi rice has such a low GI, problem is most rice used for sushi in restaurants isnt authentic.

Getting there? Bro, looks like you've been there for a long time! .

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    fatty lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by BUYLONGTERM View Post
    Getting there? Bro, looks like you've been there for a long time! .
    LOL! Honestly i have made a crazy transformation in the past 4 months. Thanks largely to Nark and Pinnacle. That combined with some drive, discipline and determination. Gotta put some size on now tho, one more year and I will be competition ready Thanks tho, I truly appreciate the compliment.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i use to eat brown rice all the time but have switched over to sweet potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    Yeah, but they don't serve sweet potatoes with SUSHI...

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Try taking sushi out of your diet for a couple weeks and see if you have any drastic changes. If you don't, you're all good. If you lose some weight, maybe it's the sushi keeping the weight on. Either way, sushi is delicious and should be consumed at least once a week by myself for a big cheat.

goose is offline Banned
    Its this simple,rice is the worst carb your body can take.Nothing in nutrients and has a very high GI rate,hence big gut,LOL.

Damm I just saw post 3,LOL.Late here in the UK...
    Last edited by goose; 07-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    LOL! Honestly i have made a crazy transformation in the past 4 months. Thanks largely to Nark and Pinnacle.
    That Pinnacle guy knows his shit

-Nark

sam_sneed is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    I've been doing the same for only a month and already there's a huge difference especially around the waist.

I actually look forward to eating my sweet potato with some cinnamon can't beat it.

P.S - Pinnacle is a legend.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Just got back from my local sushi restaurant and tried a smoked salmon, cream cheese, avacodo and green onion roll. It was A LOT better than it sounds. Also had to get my spicy tuna roll and spider roll. I'm still hungry.

Baseball03 is offline Associate Member
    --Most sample diets ive found around here only include brown rice or white rice..... I will usually eat either of those 2 for about 2 weeks at a time but then switch to either yams or red potatoes.

--Would you recommend to stick w yams, sweet potatoes and such.
    MY GOAL IS LEAN MASS RIGHT NOW ( on cycle ) id like to stay cut while adding quality muscle.

Baseball03 is offline Associate Member
    I can start my own thread.. im sorry i did not mean to hijack .. jst need some simple answers... THANKS

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Just had sushi, mmm it was delicious!!

I have sushi about once/wk. I haven't noticed it hindering any gains and no, i don't count it as a cheat meal and yes, I eat a lot of it

T3/T4 GSR is offline Senior Member
    The place by me makes it with brown rice if you request it. So I get a roll with brown rice and the rest sashmi. Makes a nice low fat protien/carb meal once a week.

Thread Information