tallguy23 is offline Junior Member

Ground Chicken Question

I was thinking about grinding up some chicken breasts and making my own burgers. I have an old hand grinder I use for my deer and I was going to buy around 40lbs of chicken breasts to grind and make burgers. I also have a burger press that yields 6oz burgers, which would be a perfect portion size.

Has anybody ever made these before? My main question is about freezing them. I freeze my deer patties and never add anything too them, but I notice when stores freeze products that add a bunch of salt and water. I just freeze without adding anything too it. Will this impact the nutritional elements of the chicken by freezing it and recooking it? It is a pain to clean the grinder, so I don't want to make them every week and would prefer to just do an month at a time.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    No, if your not adding anything to them, freezing will not change nutrient composition. Just make sure you use the cooked weight when measuring out your macros....Interested to see how this one turns out bc the pre-made ground chicken breast from the grocery is disgusting. Good luck with yours. Keep us posted.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Ground chicken is ok for making a taco type meat or something like that but I don't think it would make good patties for burgers because of the little fat content.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI View Post
    Ground chicken is ok for making a taco type meat or something like that but I don't think it would make good patties for burgers because of the little fat content.
    Right I was wondering how its gonna stick together?????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Right I was wondering how its gonna stick together?????
    Exactly. You'll throw it on the grill and it will fall right through it!

I was wondering about the fat content as well and it not sticking. The same thing happens with deer. I need to mix it with ground beef to make it stick. You think adding beef with this would be ok?

Idk, your call brotha. Beef and chicken sounds a little funky to me, but whatever floats your boat.

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy23 View Post
    I was wondering about the fat content as well and it not sticking. The same thing happens with deer. I need to mix it with ground beef to make it stick. You think adding beef with this would be ok?
    If you do this, be sure to cook your burgers to a minimum of an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Chicken needs to be cooked at this high temperature to kill the salmonella.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i get my tuna to stick with half cup oats and couple egg whites, like a meat loaf

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    i get my tuna to stick with half cup oats and couple egg whites, like a meat loaf
    Yeah i was just reading that, that sounds good as fvck! You should post that shiit in the recipe section if you feel like it. Im def gonna give it a go.

yeah i need to do that, i got just a few things i do because i cant stand raw cooked oats and raw tuna lol and well its really convenient and cheap to eat both those things lol

yeah i need to do that, i got just a few things i do because i cant stand raw cooked oats and raw tuna lol and well its really convenient and cheap to eat both those things lol
    Yup, they gotta be staples, especially when your on a budget. I change my tuna routine every few months. Right now im doing mustard, low fat miracle whip (1.5g fat), and no sugar added sweet relish (1c, no sugar)..its actually not bad.....

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Would you mind just cooking a bunch of shit, freezing it and then Fed-Ex'ing it to me? You know... just like a couple times a week? LOL all of your recipes that I've read have sounded awesome!

Blog Entries
    Raw tuna is grrreat. Buy sushi grade and dip in soy/wasabi. mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGRMI View Post
    Raw tuna is grrreat. Buy sushi grade and dip in soy/wasabi. mmmm

i dont like buying 20 cans at 1 each none the less that shit at 8 a pound lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Would you mind just cooking a bunch of shit, freezing it and then Fed-Ex'ing it to me? You know... just like a couple times a week? LOL

yeah no prob man lol start a tuna export division from the house

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallguy23 View Post
    If your grilling them straight from frozen it should be fine. I've done this before.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I dont much like em. their really sticky and pull apart when ya try to flip them on the grill. plus they just taste like a plain ol chicken.

I tried grilling a bunch of burgers today and it worked out better than expected. I ground up about 6 lbs of chicken breast and made it into 14 6oz patties. I grilled them up and they stayed together very well, I was actually surprised. It took about 15 minutes and then I fliped them over for another 5-10 min. Taste wise, very very plain. Not much going on at all. I put a little bbq sauce on and it made it a little better. For all the work it took cutting, grinding, and making the patties, I think I'll just stick to grilling the breasts.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Did you not season them pre-grinding? Thats where the magic happens, however, to each his own. It is alot of work to go through, but it beats eating fatty beef when you have a cook out with friends.

I'm trying to keep my sodium low, so I only put a little seasoning on about 5 of them. Even so, it was still a little plain. Just another one of those aquired tastes.

Blog Entries
    Even if you're keeping your sodium low you could use garlic, pepper, herbs...etc. Also, Mrs. Dash has low sodium flavored salts/spices that are great.

jabray is offline New Member

Recipe

Grilled Chicken Burgers

recipe image
    Rated: rating
    Submitted By: Teri
    Photo By: ALFANN02
    Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes

Ready In: 45 Minutes
    Servings: 8
    "A nice break from typical hamburgers and much healthier for you. These chicken burgers are flavorful, fairly simple to make, and quite delicious. I serve these burgers on chive biscuits with tomato chutney. Eat to your hearts content!"
    Ingredients:
    1 onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
    1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    2 carrots, chopped

2 pounds ground chicken
    1 egg
    1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon Old Bay ™ Seasoning
    kosher salt to taste
    black pepper to taste
    Directions:
    1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.
    2. Lightly spray a saute pan with cooking or oil spray over medium heat. Saute the onion with the garlic first, then the bell pepper, then the mushrooms, tomatoes and carrots, all to desired tenderness. Set aside and allow all vegetables to cool completely.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken and vegetables. Add the egg, bread crumbs and seasonings to taste. Mix all together well and form into 8 patties.
    4. Grill over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.

Thread Information