ascendant is offline Senior Member

getting tired of the whole "GI index". thoughts please...

it seems like every month, all different foods keep changing as to where they're at on the GI index. i remember not too long ago, pasta used to supposedly be bad. not they say that its GI is actually pretty low, particularly with "al dente" pasta, and that the only concern is when you cook it too long. well, at least that's what most websites say now, but go to one website and it's one thing and another website will say something completely different with a different GI for it as well.

i used to love having my cinnamon raisin bagels in the morning with a little low-fat cream cheese. now because it's supposedly a high GI food, i typically have oatmeal, which i really can't stand. i don't care how you flavor it up, it still tastes like crap.

now a lot of people are saying the GI isn't as much of a concern as some people are making it out to be, saying there are way too many other factors to take into consideration. also considering we all know enough to eat our carbs with protein and possibly fat as well, that also helps to lower the GI.

i'm really tempted now to just go back to my bagels in the am where i can actually enjoy my breakfast. no, whole wheat ones aren't an option for me. it's all about the cinnamon raisin and they regretfully don't make them with whole wheat, at least nobody does yet as far as i've seen. but i'm curious as to what you guys think about the whole GI thing according to your research? is it really just overhyped? should we really sacrifice what we like to eat for what the GI tells us is better? will it really make much of an impact on my results? your thoughts would be appreciated.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant View Post
    it seems like every month, all different foods keep changing as to where they're at on the GI index. i remember not too long ago, pasta used to supposedly be bad. not they say that its GI is actually pretty low, particularly with "al dente" pasta, and that the only concern is when you cook it too long. well, at least that's what most websites say now, but go to one website and it's one thing and another website will say something completely different with a different GI for it as well.

i used to love having my cinnamon raisin bagels in the morning with a little low-fat cream cheese. now because it's supposedly a high GI food, i typically have oatmeal, which i really can't stand. i don't care how you flavor it up, it still tastes like crap.

now a lot of people are saying the GI isn't as much of a concern as some people are making it out to be, saying there are way too many other factors to take into consideration. also considering we all know enough to eat our carbs with protein and possibly fat as well, that also helps to lower the GI.

i'm really tempted now to just go back to my bagels in the am where i can actually enjoy my breakfast. no, whole wheat ones aren't an option for me. it's all about the cinnamon raisin and they regretfully don't make them with whole wheat, at least nobody does yet as far as i've seen. but i'm curious as to what you guys think about the whole GI thing according to your research? is it really just overhyped? should we really sacrifice what we like to eat for what the GI tells us is better? will it really make much of an impact on my results? your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Wellll, I dont knwo if Id go as far as to say its over-hyped. It should definately be taken into consideration when choosing your carbs. And yes cooking time for pasta does make a difference. And yes adding fiber to a High GI carb can significantly lower the GI. But as far as sacrificiing what we like to eat for what the GI tells us is better, I dont know that I would word it that way, but any level of body building no matter waht your goals are requiires making sacrifices concerning diet and nutrition (I mean shiiit, Id like to wake up every morning and have some pancakes, bacon, and a western omelet, but that shiit just aint happenin). Having said that, your bagel should NOT in anyway be a staple of your diet, once a week or as a cheat meal, sure go ahead wont kill ya, but its night and day between oatmeal and a cinnamon raison white bagel. White bread in general is one of the bench marks used to measure GI, Glucose being the more commonly used method. So basically, it doesnt get much more High GI then white bread, especially when you factor in the cinnamon raisin....But there are so many other factors at play, "what are your goals, whats your level of committment, are you currently bulking/cutting." If you were bulking, this could probably make a perfectly acceptable PWO carb source (although recently there has been a lot of debate on here as to the merit of a PWO insulin spike, I for one still opt for it). The moral of the story, DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, use a diet that will help you reach your goals, but also allow to stay sane enough to where you are going to be able to maintain it. As long as its not preventing you from reaching your potential, go for it....Theres a thread going on in the lounge right now, and Im sure everyone knows what im talking about, called "Here is what you should eat" where this guy posted a meal that by 99.9% of the people on here's standards is complete garbage. But the dude has posted pictures and he has an excellent physique, so obviously, he can get away with it. I for one know my body well enough to know that I couldnt eat like he does or even have a white bagel every morning and still look the way I want to look.
    Last edited by abbot138; 08-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Oh and for future reference, here is the official GI. http://www.glycemicindex.com/

sorel_C is offline Member
    for the most part there pretty basic,, certain food remain, somewhat at the same GI levels,, if you add fats it lower the GI,, it aint hard bro,, grab the basic concept of the GI index and go off that

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    You guys really overthink some things.

-CNS

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    I think so too nark!! but if you cant even eat whole wheat bagels (a cheat food for me!!!) than I dont know if your cut out for BBing bro. It is almost entirly about sacrifice. With that said, the only time I get extremely anal about everything is cut time

goose is offline Banned
    Its easy,with carbs just use things that are 55 and lower, if you want to stay lean all year,well that with cardio and HGH......

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Oh and for future reference, here is the official GI. http://www.glycemicindex.com/
    thanks for the post. actually of all sites i've seen so far, haven't been to this one yet. i'll be sure to check it out more when i have time. thanks for all the other input you had as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTAPART2 View Post
    I think so too nark!! but if you cant even eat whole wheat bagels (a cheat food for me!!!) than I dont know if your cut out for BBing bro. It is almost entirly about sacrifice. With that said, the only time I get extremely anal about everything is cut time
    well why does bbing always have to be about sacrifice??? why can't you find a medium where you can still enjoy what you eat as well as have a great body? about 5 years back, my life was bbing. i was always either working out, eating, or sleeping. i also hated my life because everything had to revolve around my meals and workout routine. so why bust your ass to get the body you want if you can't enjoy yourself in the process? sure, i'm about 20lbs lighter than i was back then, but i'm happier. i'm not gonna say i eat horrible now, just not quite as disciplined as i used to be when it comes to what i eat.

the reason i can't stand eating a lot of the type of foods that are just so blah is that i have a ridiculously high metabolism. in order for me to bulk when i do, i need to take in a ridiculous amount of food. i am rarely if ever actually hungry when i need to eat and am usually having to force feed myself. i can't stand it and honestly i really don't think it's worth forcing food down all the time that makes me nauseous just to be a little leaner than i would with carbs i like more.

Blog Entries
    well why does bbing always have to be about sacrifice??? why can't you find a medium where you can still enjoy what you eat as well as have a great body? about 5 years back, my life was bbing. i was always either working out, eating, or sleeping. i also hated my life because everything had to revolve around my meals and workout routine. so why bust your ass to get the body you want if you can't enjoy yourself in the process? sure, i'm about 20lbs lighter than i was back then, but i'm happier. i'm not gonna say i eat horrible now, just not quite as disciplined as i used to be when it comes to what i eat.

the reason i can't stand eating a lot of the type of foods that are just so blah is that i have a ridiculously high metabolism. in order for me to bulk when i do, i need to take in a ridiculous amount of food. i am rarely if ever actually hungry when i need to eat and am usually having to force feed myself. i can't stand it and honestly i really don't think it's worth forcing food down all the time that makes me nauseous just to be a little leaner than i would with carbs i like more.

If you have this 'ridiculously high metabolism', what is the point of this thread?

You should know your body well enough by now to know what foods do or don't affect you.

This is one of those sort of threads that pisses me off.

If you know the answer, why ask the question?

Conversely, if you don't know the answer... why not accept the answers you get?

-CNS

Heyyy its coo man! Thats why I said there are a lot of other factors involved. Its your body, go ahead and find your happy medium, nothing wrong with that at all. Im trying to compete in the next year which is why i get anal about certain things and i have accepted the fact that nutrition and training dictate my life and I have no problem with it, I LOVE IT! If your happier doing it this way, then DO IT.....In the end being happy with yourself and with your life is what really matters

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    You guys really overthink some things.

-CNS
    Agreed!!

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    nobody can truly come into contest shape eating bagels up to the show, that smy point about cutting. Dude, if you saw my sloppy winter bulks youd be amazed I still have abs and in my thirties at that. I have the genetics for that, but even I cant expect a under 6% bf without sacrifcing any bad foods. Dude if your not a copmpetitor or model or use your body for monetary gain (not a prostitue lol like a fitness coach) then have at the foods you like and keep training intensity high. Just silly to me that people worry about this kind of stuff when they arent like 16 weeks or closer to a show or shoot, relax brova LOL I thought about you last night wehn i walked by the cinnamin bagels though lol

Blog Entries
    ^^Bingo.

Great post.

-CNS

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Heyyy its coo man! Thats why I said there are a lot of other factors involved. Its your body, go ahead and find your happy medium, nothing wrong with that at all. Im trying to compete in the next year which is why i get anal about certain things and i have accepted the fact that nutrition and training dictate my life and I have no problem with it, I LOVE IT! If your happier doing it this way, then DO IT.....In the end being happy with yourself and with your life is what really matters
    agree 100% bro, and good luck competing next year. competing is what made me get so strict years back. honestly just wasn't for me, but if you love it by all means go for it.

If you have this 'ridiculously high metabolism', what is the point of this thread?

You should know your body well enough by now to know what foods do or don't affect you.

This is one of those sort of threads that pisses me off.

If you know the answer, why ask the question?

Conversely, if you don't know the answer... why not accept the answers you get?

-CNS
    the point of the thread was to see peoples thoughts on how important the GI of foods really is when taking all other factors into consideration. also, just because i have a high metabolism doesn't make it easy for me to keep under 10% when bulking, it just means i have to take in that many more calories to put on size. all i'm trying to see is if the GI of foods will have a dramatic enough impact on helping to keep leaner to make it worth eating better over what i enjoy more. i know it varies from person to person depending on insulin sensitivity and many other factors, but just looking to get as much info as i can to make a more well educated decision on my part.

on a side note, i see you still have the same compassionate and helpful disposition as you always have on here nark *sarcasm*, lol. i'd like to say i missed it, but at best i can at least say i didn't forget about it...

Blog Entries
    the point of the thread was to see peoples thoughts on how important the GI of foods really is when taking all other factors into consideration. also, just because i have a high metabolism doesn't make it easy for me to keep under 10% when bulking, it just means i have to take in that many more calories to put on size. all i'm trying to see is if the GI of foods will have a dramatic enough impact on helping to keep leaner to make it worth eating better over what i enjoy more. i know it varies from person to person depending on insulin sensitivity and many other factors, but just looking to get as much info as i can to make a more well educated decision on my part.

on a side note, i see you still have the same compassionate and helpful disposition as you always have on here nark *sarcasm*, lol. i'd like to say i missed it, but at best i can at least say i didn't forget about it...

You are still painfully oblivious and antagonistic as you have always been.

I have helped more people than I care to count.

Good luck 'bro'.

-CNS

You are still painfully oblivious and antagonistic as you have always been.

I have helped more people than I care to count.

Good luck 'bro'.

-CNS
    hey, just don't take me too seriously and it's all good. never meant any offense there and i also know very well you've helped plenty of people and are a great asset to this board. try to also respect the fact that though i may not have as much time as you do to do it, in the past i have tried to put my fair share of helpful posts up here for people as well.

anyway, the GI is something i haven't really experimented with a lot as far as staying real strict to low GI foods, so i can honestly say it is an aspect of nutrition i'm a bit lacking in, hence this thread. not looking to compete though, just looking to find a happy medium of being reasonably lean year round (10% and under), while still being able to enjoy at least 1/2 of what i eat. i don't really think the "oblivious" comment was at all necessary, but then again you're entitled to your opinion.

Thread Information