Thread: Drinking Oats

tunedx is offline Junior Member

Drinking Oats

I looking for something to replace whole wheat bread. I'm wondering if I could drink oats along with my shake. Would that upset my stomach?

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunedx View Post
    I looking for something to replace whole wheat bread. I'm wondering if I could drink oats along with my shake. Would that upset my stomach?
    go for it shouldnt have any issues.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by tunedx View Post
    drinking oats is fine, oat bran and sweet potatos would probably go well with it too

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    works very well. To make it easier buy a coffee grinder and grind them into a powder, this is what I do and they go down real easy

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    i do it every morning i blend oats with the shake and its fine but in the bottom youll get some that didnt blend and youll have to chew it but it works awesome

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    works very well. To make it easier buy a coffee grinder and grind them into a powder, this is what I do and they go down real easy
    that's what i do as well

Garbanzo Dude is offline Member
    'I do it sometimes also.....tasty shake!!!

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    that's what i do as well
    Ah dude we have so much in common we should get married and make a baby !!

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Here's what I do: grind a bunch of oats up in the blender (coffee grinder would work better, but I don't have one) and put into a container that I store in my gym bag. After my workouts I have a 50g whey shake with 1 cup of these grinded oats. Goes down pretty smoothly until the end where you are left with all of the settlement. If you constantly shake it up in a shaker then there is less settlement. Also I sometimes mix in oatmeal with my morning protein shake consisting of: 8 oz egg beaters, 1 scoop whey, 1 cup of oats, and little cottage cheese (for thickness) and a couple ice cubes. Throw it all in the blender and you have a quick an nutritious meal! Note, the thicker the shake the less oats that will settle to the bottom. Now go whip you up one of these delicious shakes!

tunedx is offline Junior Member
    Thanks alot guys for your comments

niceshotman is offline Junior Member
    just to let you know, there are LOTS of things that you can drink, & it won't upset your stomach (any more than if you just chewed it like regular food). In my case, my intestines got mangled, so it's hard for me to digest just about anything. So the blender has become by buddy. Pretty much anything that you can eat by chewing, you can mix with water (or juice, etc), blend it into a colloid, and then drink it. I have been experimenting with this extensively, and not only is easier for me to digest, but it's faster and easier than actually chewing, since some foods are dry and hard to swallow.

to see how to make a fish smoothie, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICuxBf1Ieu4
    Last edited by niceshotman; 09-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    An alternative for you is to maybe cook or heat the oats along with your protein powder... I do that every morning, as chewing food starts digestion, thus your body better assimilate what you eat. When you drink your protein or other food sources, digestion would not kickstart right away (see wikipedia, if want to know more about this fact).

Or you could eat something solid before having your drink, like a 3 boiled eggs, and then right after that have your oats/protein shake.

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    does eating the oats uncooked affect the digestability? anybody know this? i always assumed they would be more digestable cooked, although i sometimes have them uncooked too.

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    Being quite honest with you, that shouldn't matter -at least when it comes to the oats. For other foods, though, I'm sure they must be prepared and cooked before you eat them.

niceshotman is offline Junior Member
    if you have digestive problems, taking enzymes can help the process a bit. i started taking enzymes after my injuries, & they are supposed to help digest foods faster and more completely so that more can be absorbed.

Thread Information