Thread: Diet critique

teufelhundenjwa is offline Associate Member

Diet critique

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 208 (weighed 245 in Dec 07)
    Body Fat: 18%
    Years training: Since 98 (joined the Marine Corps), weight trained off an on, serious since Jan 08
    Goal: lean up to 180 lbs

My question is this, when I calculate the calories of the food I eat, I take my carb/pro grams times 4. I then take my fat grams times 9. This never comes out to equal the calories listed on the nutrition label. Am I ingesting too many calories by not calculating in the empty calories?

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"
    Attached Files Attached Files

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    4:00 AM 8 oz skim milk
    25g Frosted Wheat
    1/2 oz Strawberries
    1/2 oz Blueberries
    no frosted flakes, try oatmeal instead and add 6 egg whites and 2 egg yolks
    5 AM Workout

6:30 AM 16 oz skim milk
    25g Frosted Wheat
    1/2 oz Strawberries
    1/2 oz Blueberries
    1/2 oz Raspberries
    same here
    8:00 AM 2 oz (dry) WW Pasta
    1/4 cup Ragu
    4 oz chicken
    red potatos instead of ragu and pasta
    11 AM 2 oz (dry) WW Pasta
    1/4 cup Ragu
    4 oz chicken
    same here
    1:30 PM 1 cup chili
    1 oz 2% cheese
    1 TBSP PB
    hope you are making lean chili, cut the cheese
    4:00 PM 140g white rice
    4 oz chicken
    white rice is horrible, eat some lentils or red potatos
    7:00 PM 4 oz fish
    5 oz asparagus
    145g Sweet potato

Fat Carb Pro
    Total in grams 2315.15 41.45 291.75 193.775
    Total in calories 373.05 1167 775.1
    Percent 16 50 34

I appreciate the input Phate! Normally I alternate between carb sources. Take today for instance, instead of pasta I'll be having sweet potatoes in there place.
    I'm a little baffled by your pre-workout suggestion, as I was under the assumption that you are to stay away from fat both pre and post workout???
    The chili I make is with 90/10 ground sirloin, 2 cans organic low sodium kidney beans, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 packet low sodium chili seasoning...this yields eight (8) one (1) cup servings.
    Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhundenjwa View Post
    I appreciate the input Phate! Normally I alternate between carb sources. Take today for instance, instead of pasta I'll be having sweet potatoes in there place.
    I'm a little baffled by your pre-workout suggestion, as I was under the assumption that you are to stay away from fat both pre and post workout???
    The chili I make is with 90/10 ground sirloin, 2 cans organic low sodium kidney beans, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 packet low sodium chili seasoning...this yields eight (8) one (1) cup servings.
    Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"
    the two yolks are to complete the proteins, thus making it 100 on a bioavailability scale and add some flavor, but you can take them out if you want

^^^kewl. If I were to substitute something for the eggs in my pre-workout meal, what would be acceptable? A whey/casein protein shake? Reason being I get up at 4 AM and start lifting at 5:10 AM. That only gives me an hour and ten minutes, so I'm left with little time (as we all are). Making a shake would be easier than the eggs, so long as it provides the same benefits?

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"

^^^kewl. If I were to substitute something for the eggs in my pre-workout meal, what would be acceptable? A whey/casein protein shake? Reason being I get up at 4 AM and start lifting at 5:10 AM. That only gives me an hour and ten minutes, so I'm left with little time (as we all are). Making a shake would be easier than the eggs, so long as it provides the same benefits?

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"
    in a pinch that would work, just make sure you have some carbs in your system and eat them as soon as you wake up, you need them to keep your body from entering gluconeogenesis and eating muscle, in fact, get some gatorade and drink that before and during your workout, around 20-25g of sugar from the drink should suffice, plus eat before, that should help

make sure I got htis

Phate (or anyone else wanting to chime in), just to recap to ensure I understand (gotta break it down Barney style for me). When I get up at 4 AM have a scoop of protein with 8-12 oz skim milk. At 5 AM (give or take a few) drink some Gatorade. I usually have a scoop of Purple Wraath before and then another during my workout, mixed with water. Instead of the water I'll use some Gatorade G2 in it's place. Then immediately following my workout I have 2 scoops of protein in water w/some strawberries/blueberries/raspberries (6:30 AM). At 8 AM I have 4 oz chicken breast with 145g sweet potato. Then it's a meal every 2-3 hours thereafter. Does that look about right?

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"

Phate (or anyone else wanting to chime in), just to recap to ensure I understand (gotta break it down Barney style for me). When I get up at 4 AM have a scoop of protein with 8-12 oz skim milk. At 5 AM (give or take a few) drink some Gatorade. I usually have a scoop of Purple Wraath before and then another during my workout, mixed with water. Instead of the water I'll use some Gatorade G2 in it's place. Then immediately following my workout I have 2 scoops of protein in water w/some strawberries/blueberries/raspberries (6:30 AM). At 8 AM I have 4 oz chicken breast with 145g sweet potato. Then it's a meal every 2-3 hours thereafter. Does that look about right?

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"
    everything is right, though i would add 4-6oz of sweet potato or oatmeal at like 410 so you have some glycogen stores

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries

Respectfully Submitted
    Sgt USMC
    "Fortuna favet fortibus"
    My only suggestion for your morning time issue, instead of Gatorade try 4 TBS honey, that will give you almost 80 grams of sugar, anda steadier sugar supply.
    For your post work out, mix in your shake 1 cup (1 minute oatmeal, cause its easier to blend in) that will give u a thicker shake, not bad tasting, and GREAT ASS carbs.

Phate/SmokeTheDays, I appreciate the input and will add the oats to my shake as suggested.
    I've included a couple pictures to better aid everyone in their suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diet critique-0918082101.jpg   Diet critique-0918082101a.jpg   Diet critique-0918082101b.jpg   Diet critique-0918082102.jpg   Diet critique-0918082103.jpg  

a few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diet critique-0918082105.jpg   Diet critique-0918082105a.jpg   Diet critique-0918082106.jpg   Diet critique-0918082106a.jpg   Diet critique-0918082107.jpg  

last few here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diet critique-0918082112.jpg   Diet critique-0918082112a.jpg   Diet critique-0918082116.jpg   Diet critique-0918082116a.jpg  

Bump for some input gentlemen

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    Eat more often, break ur meals in 2 parts if u can, the best to lean quick. i get leanest whn I eat every 1.5 hrs.
    Cardio 4-5 times/week
    Do short sprints at least 2-3 times/week (30 seconds sprints, 5-6 times and short brake between, about 45 seconds).

good base to lean.
    Last edited by smokethedays; 09-19-2008 at 04:03 PM.

I appreciate the input SmokeTheDays. I should be able to fit a meal in every 2 hours. I'll give that a go and post some pics/stats in a couple of weeks.
    As far as the cardio goes, this morning after lifting I did 16 minutes interval training...60 seconds slow, 60 seconds fast. After the 8 intervals I did a 4 minute cool down.
    Can I do the interval training 3 times per week, following a workout, and then do 2 steady state cardio sessions to fill in the gaps?

Thread Information