Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    UNCCwrestler's Avatar
    UNCCwrestler is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114

    "Desk Job" diet? Please help

    hey guys,

    I recently got a new promotion to office manager, the problem I have run into is I am now more sedentary than before (I was working in the warehouse all day befor).

    Anyways I am lately finding my energy levels are zapped and I am getting fatigued much more even though I am sitting most of the day.

    Here is my current diet:

    10:00 a.m.
    -2 Scoops Muscle Milk with 12oz 1% milk
    - 1 piece fruit (Orange or Apple), OR 1 cup oatmeal
    - Coffee w/ Splenda

    1:00 p.m. (lunch)
    - 5-6 oz of grilled chicken or tuna
    - 1/2 cup (cooked) brown rice
    - 1 cup brocolli or 10 Asparagus spears

    3:00 p.m.
    - 1 can tuna (w/ miracle whip)
    - 1 can green beans, tossed in with a little oil/vinegar
    - 1 Diet Mt. Dew

    5:00/5:30 pm.
    -1 "Pure Protien" bar (19 g pro)
    -1 Apple OR Orange
    - 1 TBSP natty Peanut butter

    7:00 PM (Pre workout, before I leave work)
    - 1 Scoop Whey
    - 1/2 cup oatmeal



    it always is around 3 or 4 I am out of energy. How should I adjust my diet now that I am not burning as may cals? Should I cut the carbs regardless if they are slow/fast?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Rugger02's Avatar
    Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,618
    Are you doing any cardio in the mornings or after lifting? And what is your Post workout meal?

  3. #3
    DSM4Life's Avatar
    DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    30,963
    Blog Entries
    1
    You are getting fatigued sitting at a desk all day ?

    Most guys on here, myself included, do physical work all day out in the sun and we are still able to hit the gym hard.

    What are your lifting goals ? stats ?

    I am no pro on diet so i would post your diet in narks thread:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=341121

    I know what works for me, its a matter of trial and error before you discovery that for yourself but looking at your meals, you need help.

    If you had to ask me i would say its your diet.

  4. #4
    oneshot's Avatar
    oneshot is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,539
    what are your goals, age, weight, bf?

  5. #5
    B.E.N.'s Avatar
    B.E.N. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    You are getting fatigued sitting at a desk all day ?

    Most guys on here, myself included, do physical work all day out in the sun and we are still able to hit the gym hard.
    They do????

    Not me...I kind of wish I could though.

    sorry hijack...

  6. #6
    B.E.N.'s Avatar
    B.E.N. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCCwrestler View Post
    hey guys,

    I recently got a new promotion to office manager, the problem I have run into is I am now more sedentary than before (I was working in the warehouse all day befor).

    Anyways I am lately finding my energy levels are zapped and I am getting fatigued much more even though I am sitting most of the day.

    Here is my current diet:

    10:00 a.m.
    -2 Scoops Muscle Milk with 12oz 1% milk
    - 1 piece fruit (Orange or Apple), OR 1 cup oatmeal
    - Coffee w/ Splenda

    1:00 p.m. (lunch)
    - 5-6 oz of grilled chicken or tuna
    - 1/2 cup (cooked) brown rice
    - 1 cup brocolli or 10 Asparagus spears

    3:00 p.m.
    - 1 can tuna (w/ miracle whip)
    - 1 can green beans, tossed in with a little oil/vinegar
    - 1 Diet Mt. Dew

    5:00/5:30 pm.
    -1 "Pure Protien" bar (19 g pro)
    -1 Apple OR Orange
    - 1 TBSP natty Peanut butter

    7:00 PM (Pre workout, before I leave work)
    - 1 Scoop Whey
    - 1/2 cup oatmeal



    it always is around 3 or 4 I am out of energy. How should I adjust my diet now that I am not burning as may cals? Should I cut the carbs regardless if they are slow/fast?

    Thanks,
    I can see where you are coming from...I sit in front of a desk myself. Is it your energy or just the fact that your are sedentary during the day and you can physically relax more?

    I make sure I get up and walk for a bit or stretch. I also have 2 25lb Dbells at work that I use to make the blood move a bit.

    Like they've said...need to know stats/goals if you think it diet related though.

  7. #7
    UNCCwrestler's Avatar
    UNCCwrestler is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114
    my stats are:

    -24 years old
    -178 lbs
    -5'11"
    -10% BF

    Goals: Burn fat, stay lean

    Yeah I don't get it, because I used to landscape and have worked in construction and didn't get tired until the day was over.

  8. #8
    B.E.N.'s Avatar
    B.E.N. is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    763
    Just looked at your diet and it is pretty bad. Basically the only thing your eating between 3:30PM and 10AM is an apple, some protein supps, and a little oatmeal?

    I would be freaking starving to death...and I'm sure your body is if you are also lifting or doing cardio. In addition to revamping your diet I would cut the coffee and sugar water (Mt. Dew). Get a Nalgene bottle and just drink water through out the day.

  9. #9
    Jiraiya is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    19

    Its the job

    I fell into the same situation. I went from owning my own inspection biz where I was on ladders or lifting objects all day. I would have my good and bad days(hi/lo energy days) but nothing hugely drastic that I could not pinpoint, like too much partying...heavy workout...no sleep..etc... When I closed up and went to a desk job I was always tired and did not even have energy to do anything aferwork. All day I was like, "When I get out of here I am going to hit the bags hard and then go straight to the weights!" By the time I get out of work though, I could only think about hitting the sack and snoozing for a few hours.

    My brain was used to the constant stimulation of weather, heights, danger, and the need to be alert. My body was constantly fueled by activity and occasional bursts of adrenaline(ever slip on a 32ft ladder?). Whereas in the office my mind was mulled to sleep by tedious paperwork, numbed by the flicker of the monitor, and whacked by taking crap and directing sheeple. Add to this the excitement of sitting for 8 hours in an air conditioned room and you got a recipe for disaster(Onset of FatA$$ Disease). This is a serious issue because within 1 month of this job I gained 15lbs without a change to my diet. Speaking of which, your diet to me seems pretty good, but then that comes from a guy who usually only eats a chicken salad while at work so I am no guru there.

    What helped me emmensley is getting the Iron Gym https://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/irn_gym_ontv.html

    so I can do pushups and pullups everytime I got sleepy, and also by routing my print jobs to the furthest printer forcing me to get off my arse and hopefully allowing me to cop a peek at the office gals.

    I also force myself to walk laps around the building. Its all tedious at first, but soon you will find your energy returning. In any case I would say, what your are experiencing is 90% mental and 10% physical, its just that they affect each other directly.

    Hope this helps.

    Jiraiya

  10. #10
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    are you taking any vitamins or supplements?

  11. #11
    UNCCwrestler's Avatar
    UNCCwrestler is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114
    Right now, I am just taking a multi-vitamin (Vitamin Shoppe Anti-Oxidant brand), fish oil, (3 caps, 3x day), and I drink Xtend throughout the day, and Kre-Alkalyn before working out.

    I probably should cut the muscle milk in the morning, the thing is I know I am too lazy to get up and cook eggs every morning.

    Anyone know a good breakfast MRP? I have been looking into the Labrada " Lean Body Breakfast" packs.

  12. #12
    DNoMac's Avatar
    DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,683
    I feel your pain bro, I'm a desk jockey. How long have you been at the job? It took me a few weeks to grow accustom to sitting at a desk all day. I shit you not, my quad twitched ALL the time the first few weeks and I had to get up all the time to stretch the hammies and back. I think you will get used to it after a bit.

    Also, I feel that I'm much more sensitive to carb crashing. I used to be able to work out at lunch, and when I took my protein shake, I'd be done for after 45 minutes or so. I'd be careful to make sure you blood sugar stays relatively stable and constant. I also drink a ton of coffee. I can vouch for office workers though, I've done my share of manual labor and for some reason I feel such a lack of energy when sitting at a desk all day.

    Also, get up frequently and try to go out for lunch every now and then. Sometimes I'll run errands at lunch and eat at my desk just to get away for a while. Good luck dude!

  13. #13
    RYAN514 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1
    hey guys i was reading threw the forums and saw this familiar diet so i just wanted to know if mine was good as well...

    10:00 a.m.
    -3 Scoop protien/milk
    -eggs bacon toast

    1:00 p.m. (lunch)
    - grilled chicken
    - brown rice
    - yogourt
    - green apple

    3:00 p.m.
    - 1 Peanut butter/Jelly/Banana Sandwhich

    5:00/5:30 pm.
    Super Time = main corse always different but always side oder of brown rice, cooked carrots, cooked mushrooms

    7:00 PM
    - 3 Scoop Whey/milk
    - Banana

    Im 18 yrs 6"2 160lbs....been training only for 2 months. goal is to be 200lbs .. steroids are in BIG consideration due to having a really hard time gaining weight.

  14. #14
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    actually, steroids are not in consideration, you are nowhere near your genetic potential yet, trust me i know, with some changes to YOUR diet you will start to gain but we need YOUR EXACT DIET, so write out what you eat tomorrow

  15. #15
    UNCCwrestler's Avatar
    UNCCwrestler is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by DNoMac View Post
    I feel your pain bro, I'm a desk jockey. How long have you been at the job? It took me a few weeks to grow accustom to sitting at a desk all day. I shit you not, my quad twitched ALL the time the first few weeks and I had to get up all the time to stretch the hammies and back. I think you will get used to it after a bit.

    Also, I feel that I'm much more sensitive to carb crashing. I used to be able to work out at lunch, and when I took my protein shake, I'd be done for after 45 minutes or so. I'd be careful to make sure you blood sugar stays relatively stable and constant. I also drink a ton of coffee. I can vouch for office workers though, I've done my share of manual labor and for some reason I feel such a lack of energy when sitting at a desk all day.

    Also, get up frequently and try to go out for lunch every now and then. Sometimes I'll run errands at lunch and eat at my desk just to get away for a while. Good luck dude!
    Hey man, yeah I have had the desk job since february, I have tried low-carb days and it still is causing me to crash around 3 everyday. I train afterwork and take some PreWO supp, so I have enough energy to train, but its just that mid-afternoon crash that is killing me right now. I am gonna try going for walk at lunch next week and if that doesnt work I am gonna start cardio in the morning, and see which one is better.

  16. #16
    Deltasaurus's Avatar
    Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tryin to get Abs
    Posts
    3,353
    Gimme the Macro's ill do what i can.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •