sizerp is offline Banned

Post Bulk Diet Please Advise

Hello everyone --

I am 22
    5'11"
    165lbs.

In the past, I've played ice hockey for many years. I quit nearly 3 years ago, and let my body go. Between then and now, I've been into nutrition despite my lack of exercise; even followed a strictly raw foods diet for about 9 months. You can imagine what that did to my mass.

Recently, I have been reading and reading. I started consuming as much clean food as possible to stretch out my stomach and increase my metabolism (I think I am an e c t o-morph, and I've always had trouble getting big). Along with my newly found voracity, I started training full-body a few times a week. Surprisingly, in the past 45 days I've gained about 15lbs.

My friend designed a 5-day/week split for me, and I'll be starting week 2 on Monday. Ergo, I'd like to get my diet squared away. This is what I've come up with so far, pertaining to my LBM. (I am not positive on my BF% though, so I approximated @ 12%, it may be more. I've attached a photo for reference.)

My goal is to reach 190lbs. with BF% @ 4-8. I have much flexibility in routine, however I prefer a concrete plan, wherein I can execute meal preparation and workouts like a well oiled machine.

Based on the Katch-McCardle formula my BMR is 2700 Kcal. I've increased that count by 1184 kCals; pertaining to +500 kCal/lb. to be gained, which rounds to roughly 2.3 lbs. for the initial weeks. Any advice is welcomed.

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by sizerp; 10-05-2008 at 04:24 PM.

sizerp is offline Banned
    /bump

This look ok?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    very nice, i'm impressed

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    very nice, i'm impressed
    Thank you!

sizerp is offline Banned
    Updated! Going shopping tonight. Fun starts tomorrow. Hope this works, ehe.

Strong Bad is offline New Member
    That diet looks really well-thought-out to my untrained eye. I'm no expert by any means, but a few things jumped out at me from looking at your diet:

-423 g protein including 174 g protein from shakes is a lot. At 165 lbs, you are well above the 1.5 g protein per lb recommendation that is most common. I don't know if there is such thing as too much protein, but you are probably putting a pretty good strain on your kidneys with that kind of intake. Anecdotal evidence from this board indicates that people get better gains from solid food than from shakes, so with all the meat in that diet you might only want 3 shakes a day rather than the 6 you have. Definitely stick with the PWO shake and midnight casein shake though.

-Most clean bulk diets will call for meals to couple protein with fat or carbs, but not both. Meal 7 looks like your only protein/fat meal, you might want to make your 2nd meal a protein/fat meal as well. John Berardi talks a lot about this, here's a link:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=179

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by Strong Bad; 10-06-2008 at 07:34 PM.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
    That diet looks really well-thought-out to my untrained eye. I'm no expert by any means, but a few things jumped out at me from looking at your diet:

-423 g protein including 174 g protein from shakes is a lot. At 165 lbs, you are well above the 1.5 g protein per lb recommendation that is most common. I don't know if there is such thing as too much protein, but you are probably putting a pretty good strain on your kidneys with that kind of intake. Anecdotal evidence from this board indicates that people get better gains from solid food than from shakes, so with all the meat in that diet you might only want 3 shakes a day rather than the 6 you have. Definitely stick with the PWO shake and midnight casein shake though.

-Most clean bulk diets will call for meals to couple protein with fat or carbs, but not both. Meal 7 looks like your only protein/fat meal, you might want to make your 2nd meal a protein/fat meal as well. John Berardi talks a lot about this, here's a link:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=179

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Thanks for the solid input! I'll see what I can do to tweak things a bit, and then reflect in a week or so.

Thread Information