Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto diet info

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlammableFlava View Post
    Do you have to have 6 meals a day on this diet, cant I just have 5 meals a day as 6 is bit hard for me due to bein at work with 2 jobs...
    You can get away with five, you just have to up the amount of protein and fat in each meal. Also, if you work a second job at night, you can always substitute one of the meals with a shake. Just bring it with you.

FlammableFlava is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    You can get away with five, you just have to up the amount of protein and fat in each meal. Also, if you work a second job at night, you can always substitute one of the meals with a shake. Just bring it with you.
    Vera, i took this Keto Diet that BigTexan had posted and switched few things round to suit me, so here it is, i was just wonderin if you think its a good diet to do my next course of Tren /Test.Propionate /Anavar for cutting up and fat loss, here is the diet:

MEAL 1: 9:00AM
    PROTEIN/FAT:

3 Whites, 3 Whole Eggs
    (***** 3)

MEAL 2: 11:00AM
    PROTEIN SHAKE:

50g Whey Protein

MEAL 3: 2:00PM
    LEAN PROTEIN:

8oz Chicken with ½ cup Almonds/Walnuts

WORKOUT

MEAL 4: 6:00PM
    PROTEIN/FAT:

Tuna mixed wit 4 Whole Eggs on a pan
    Olive Oil
    Green Salad
    (No Tomatoes, Carrots, or Red Peppers)

MEAL 5: 8:00PM
    PROTEIN SHAKE:

50g Whey Protein
    Last edited by FlammableFlava; 11-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Hey, give me a little more info. What is your bodyweight and bodyfat and your daily activity level like?

Give me the amounts of everything you will be eating. Like you say tuna. does that mean one can? you say mixed with olive oil. how many tablespoons? try to break down everything for me so I can get a better idea.

ejb3 is offline New Member
    Any input on how this diet might work for a Type1 (insulin dependent) diabetic?

Hey, give me a little more info. What is your bodyweight and bodyfat and your daily activity level like?

Give me the amounts of everything you will be eating. Like you say tuna. does that mean one can? you say mixed with olive oil. how many tablespoons? try to break down everything for me so I can get a better idea.
    I started off beggining of this year with high protein diet, with similar steroid course and got great results, I was down to 12st and BF was about 15%, but then I got an injury 3 months ago so I been out of the gym for 3/4 months and now I have gained fat and weight.

I am 13st 12lbs, and BF has gone to about 25%.

My daily activity is 5 days cardio for an hour each day. I'm doing this cardio to lose as much as I can til the end of this year to start my Tren /Prop/Anavar course with the Keto Diet.

When I say eating tuna mixed with eggs, what I mean is I use one tin of tuna and 4 eggs with onions etc an maybe about one tablespoon of olive oil, mix it, scramble it all up etc....

What I need to do is, reduce as much BF but keep my size while on this course/diet. Thanks for the help I appreciate it mate...

I started off beggining of this year with high protein diet, with similar steroid course and got great results, I was down to 12st and BF was about 15%, but then I got an injury 3 months ago so I been out of the gym for 3/4 months and now I have gained fat and weight.

I am 13st 12lbs, and BF has gone to about 25%.

My daily activity is 5 days cardio for an hour each day. I'm doing this cardio to lose as much as I can til the end of this year to start my Tren /Prop/Anavar course with the Keto Diet.

When I say eating tuna mixed with eggs, what I mean is I use one tin of tuna and 4 eggs with onions etc an maybe about one tablespoon of olive oil, mix it, scramble it all up etc....

What I need to do is, reduce as much BF but keep my size while on this course/diet. Thanks for the help I appreciate it mate...
    Hey man, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't check back with the thread for a few days. I am terrible with conversions. Do you know what your bodyweight would be in lbs (pounds)?

OH REALLY is offline Banned
    i cant find penut butter that has no sugar what do you suggest

ok no ranch and no ceasar salad f me this sucks

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Hey man, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't check back with the thread for a few days. I am terrible with conversions. Do you know what your bodyweight would be in lbs (pounds)?
    he weighs 180lbs, 1 stone is 14 pounds

how much is a brick

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH REALLY View Post
    ok no ranch and no ceasar salad f me this sucks
    I see no problem with salad dressing? I plan on using bleu cheese on my keto diet, which I'm just starting today... 2 tbs. 160 cals, 17g fat 15 mono, 2 poly, 1 unsaturated...

Vera or Texan, do you either of you guys have reasoning against this?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I see no problem with salad dressing? I plan on using bleu cheese on my keto diet, which I'm just starting today... 2 tbs. 160 cals, 17g fat 15 mono, 2 poly, 1 unsaturated... Anyone have reasoning against this?
    Yuo can use them...I just prefer not to....just not healthy fats in my opinion..I'd rather mix some good olive oil and vinegarette together and get in some healthy fats....lots of oils that give healthy fats can be made into good dressings and even marinades.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN View Post
    Yuo can use them...I just prefer not to....just not healthy fats in my opinion..I'd rather mix some good olive oil and vinegarette together and get in some healthy fats....lots of oils that give healthy fats can be made into good dressings and even marinades.
    Very true... I do make one dressing using olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and stevia, so I'll stick with that for the most part... Thanks Texan!

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    Very true... I do make one dressing using olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and stevia, so I'll stick with that for the most part... Thanks Texan!
    No problem bro...why I'm here. Man...ya gotta send me that recipe, wanna try it this weekend, sounds good.

how much can i eat on my cheat day and is it all day or just dinner also can i drink any kind of red wine

I'll post it in the recipe sub-forum too.... Here ya go, it's really simple...

1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup of sugar substitute or with stevia (as it's supposed to be 3x as sweet) 1/4 c.
    1 or 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil (depending on size of the salad or nutritional needs)

Pour you vinegar into a saucepan, add the sugar sub. and stir it in (most of it will disperse and dilute in to the vinegar without any help), then add the oil... Taste it before you put it on your salad to see if it's sweet enough... Heat it up so that it's close to boiling... Pour it over your salad (works really well with red leaf lettuce!).... Bona appetite!

Yeah my bodyweight in lbs is about 190lbs...

What a about red wine and lo carb beers i like to brink a cold beer right after a good workout .

What a about red wine and lo carb beers i like to brink a cold beer right after a good workout .
    Why?? I mean I understand enjoying a cold beer, but if this lifestyle is what you want and desire, than there's little to no room for that in your diet. I only say because I do compete and therefore my body is my livelyhood...I treat it like an investment and you only get out of an investment what you put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN View Post
    Why?? I mean I understand enjoying a cold beer, but if this lifestyle is what you want and desire, than there's little to no room for that in your diet. I only say because I do compete and therefore my body is my livelyhood...I treat it like an investment and you only get out of an investment what you put into it.
    Is that a no then?

baked chicken 3 different types of cheeses on top of bacon and some ranch dressing to dip it in i love this diet

What about salsa?

baked chicken 3 different types of cheeses on top of bacon and some ranch dressing to dip it in i love this diet
    Whatever diet that is, is not the keto.

Vera, i took this Keto Diet that BigTexan had posted and switched few things round to suit me, so here it is, i was just wonderin if you think its a good diet to do my next course of Tren /Test.Propionate /Anavar for cutting up and fat loss, here is the diet:

MEAL 1: 9:00AM
    PROTEIN/FAT:

3 Whites, 3 Whole Eggs
    (***** 3)

MEAL 2: 11:00AM
    PROTEIN SHAKE:

50g Whey Protein

MEAL 3: 2:00PM
    LEAN PROTEIN:

8oz Chicken with ½ cup Almonds/Walnuts

WORKOUT

MEAL 4: 6:00PM
    PROTEIN/FAT:

Tuna mixed wit 4 Whole Eggs on a pan
    Olive Oil
    Green Salad
    (No Tomatoes, Carrots, or Red Peppers)

MEAL 5: 8:00PM
    PROTEIN SHAKE:

50g Whey Protein
    Ok, well based on the info you gave me, without knowing what brands of food and the exact nutritional info is for each, it sounds like you are taking in approximately 1600 calories a day. Your fat is around 55g a day. Your protein is around 253g a day. Your protein intake looks perfect around that number. I would up your total daily fats intake by at least 30g. add 1 tbspoon of extra virgin olive oil to each of your two protein shake meals. That will do it. That will put your total calories around 1870 roughly. Your maintenance calories are only around 2364. This is not factoring in your 5 day a week cardio activity level. So basically, you will be 500 cal under your daily requirements, so that should factor into 1lb a week weight loss. Now depending how hard you hit cardio, that will account for an additional lb weightloss if you can burn 700 calories each of those 5 days. That will put you on target for 2lb weightloss a week. I wouldn't lower your calorie intake anymore than that because we are trying to spare muscle too. If fatloss slows down after a while, the diet needs to be tweaked again, to accomodate your lower bodyweight and nutritional needs.

(The numbers I gave may vary slightly, depending on the exact nutritional contents in each of the foods you eat. Also, I did not know your height or age.)

but that has no carbs

I've seen LOW carb cheeses, but never NO carb cheeses. Thats not to say there aren't any, I have just never run across any.
    (you have to be careful with anything dairy because of sugars.)

And what type of bacon is it? lean turkey bacon, or regular bacon loaded with saturated fats?

Saturated fats are not part of the keto diet. You want unsaturated fats.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I've seen LOW carb cheeses, but never NO carb cheeses. Thats not to say there aren't any, I have just never run across any.

And what type of bacon is it? lean turkey bacon, or regular bacon loaded with saturated fats?

Vera - we are gonna respectfully disagree again - no malice intended. Fats whether saturated fats or unsaturated will have no effect on ketosis whatsoever. It is a widely held belief (and prob rightly so) that unsaturated fats are obviously a healthier choice. However in studies of atkins diet intro phase (close to no carb as possible ,incidental carbs only) saturated fats a plenty - triglyceride levels actually decreased. I do think using unsaturated fats as opposed to saturated would aid in keeping homocystene levels down as will supplementing with folic acid. Point being - it might not be Daves keto diet but this meal will keep him just as deeply in ketosis and not adversely effect his results strictly from a results perspective. Oh and thank you for the well wishes re:my accident - appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Vera - we are gonna respectfully disagree again - no malice intended. Fats whether saturated fats or unsaturated will have no effect on ketosis whatsoever. It is a widely held belief (and prob rightly so) that unsaturated fats are obviously a healthier choice. However in studies of atkins diet intro phase (close to no carb as possible ,incidental carbs only) saturated fats a plenty - triglyceride levels actually decreased. I do think using unsaturated fats as opposed to saturated would aid in keeping homocystene levels down as will supplementing with folic acid. Point being - it might not be Daves keto diet but this meal will keep him just as deeply in ketosis and not adversely effect his results strictly from a results perspective. Oh and thank you for the well wishes re:my accident - appreciated.
    Hey Jimmy. Yeah, again, in my critiques and advice to people, I am giving advice on how to run Dave's version of the keto diet. Which in my humble opinion, i feel is superior to the others, for our type of lifestyle. Bodybuilding.

I was not trying to say that unsaturated fats would take you out of ketosis. But if you took in generous quantities, you would not really be following this particular diet. I was trying to emphasize that you want unsaturated fats over saturated fats. That is the staple of Dave's diet. Much of the keto diets do not specify types of fats. That is where Dave Palumbo's is different and he can pitch it as HIS keto diet. He is really the first to separate good heart healthy unsaturated fats from saturated and transfats in the ketogenic diet.

also, If the cheeses had any type of sugar based carbs, like most dairy does, they would not be included in this diet. (Dave's). Dave actually advises against most if not all Dairy products during this diet.

Just as people in carb cycle diets place great emphasis on the type of carbs chosen, based on their position on the glycemic index...... In the keto diet, we separate fats in the same way. You could get by with saturated fats, but to fully optomize the health benefits of the the Palumbo ketogenic diet, unsaturated fats and especially foods rich in 0mega-3s are superior and necessary.
    Last edited by VeraDeMilo; 11-19-2008 at 03:29 PM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Hey Jimmy. Yeah, again, in my critiques and advice to people, I am giving advice on how to run Dave's version of the keto diet. Which in my humble opinion, i feel is superior to the others, for our type of lifestyle. Bodybuilding.

I was not trying to say that unsaturated fats would take you out of ketosis. But if you took in generous quantities, you would not really be following this particular diet. I was trying to emphasize that you want unsaturated fats over saturated fats. That is the staple of Dave's diet. Much of the keto diets do not specify types of fats. That is where Dave Palumbo's is different and he can pitch it as HIS keto diet. He is really the first to separate good heart healthy unsaturated fats from saturated and transfats in the ketogenic diet.

also, If the cheeses had any type of sugar based carbs, like most dairy does, they would not be included in this diet. (Dave's). Dave actually advises against most if not all Dairy products during this diet.

Just as people in carb cycle diets place great emphasis on the type of carbs chosen, based on their position on the glycemic index...... In the keto diet, we separate fats in the same way. You could get by with saturated fats, but to fully optomize the health benefits of the the Palumbo ketogenic diet, unsaturated fats and especially foods rich in 0mega-3s are superior and necessary.
    100 % agreed as far as healthiest route - no doubt. I predominantly use unsaturated fats but do "cheat" with chicken wings occasionally. The cheese thing has always puzzled me - most cheese i use (non processed of course) Cheedar , sharp cheddar, list less than 1 gram carb per serving and 0 grams sugars. I wonder if the dont have to list sugars b/c its less than 1 gram or b/c there really arent any? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    100 % agreed as far as healthiest route - no doubt. I predominantly use unsaturated fats but do "cheat" with chicken wings occasionally. The cheese thing has always puzzled me - most cheese i use (non processed of course) Cheedar , sharp cheddar, list less than 1 gram carb per serving and 0 grams sugars. I wonder if the dont have to list sugars b/c its less than 1 gram or b/c there really arent any? Just curious.
    Thats a good question. I would be interested to find that answer as well.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Thats a good question. I would be interested to find that answer as well.
    could be another type of carb, but more than likely it is because of our rounding system, if you nice, most of our products are rounded to the nearest whole number, sometimes we have 1.5 or 2.5 but that's mostly with fats, so if there is less than .5g of sugar they just round it down or say less than one gram

Ok, well based on the info you gave me, without knowing what brands of food and the exact nutritional info is for each, it sounds like you are taking in approximately 1600 calories a day. Your fat is around 55g a day. Your protein is around 253g a day. Your protein intake looks perfect around that number. I would up your total daily fats intake by at least 30g. add 1 tbspoon of extra virgin olive oil to each of your two protein shake meals. That will do it. That will put your total calories around 1870 roughly. Your maintenance calories are only around 2364. This is not factoring in your 5 day a week cardio activity level. So basically, you will be 500 cal under your daily requirements, so that should factor into 1lb a week weight loss. Now depending how hard you hit cardio, that will account for an additional lb weightloss if you can burn 700 calories each of those 5 days. That will put you on target for 2lb weightloss a week. I wouldn't lower your calorie intake anymore than that because we are trying to spare muscle too. If fatloss slows down after a while, the diet needs to be tweaked again, to accomodate your lower bodyweight and nutritional needs.

(The numbers I gave may vary slightly, depending on the exact nutritional contents in each of the foods you eat. Also, I did not know your height or age.)
    My age is 22 and height is 5'6, stocky 190lbs build...When I go to bed, would having cheese before bed be good for me? If so, what can i have it with...
    Thanks for the info man appreciate it...

Edgar is offline Associate Member

brie is one, monteray jack pepper, and monterey jack horseradish is another good one. but they have about 5 g of sat fat per serving. but no sugar no carbs.

My age is 22 and height is 5'6, stocky 190lbs build...When I go to bed, would having cheese before bed be good for me? If so, what can i have it with...
    Thanks for the info man appreciate it...
    Ok, based on the bodyfat percentage you stated, I guessed you were around 5'8". And I figured around 21 years old. So that wasn't far off.

If you can find No carb cheese like some of these guys stated, than I don't see why there would be a problem eating that before bed. Remember, since there are no carbs in the diet and we aren't playing with our insulin levels, all of the meals are interchangeable. Also you are taking in under your maintenance calories, so fat gain wouldn't be a problem. You do want to try to get the correct portions of proteins and fats in each meal though. Now just pick a protein source. I always liked to throw in a tablespoon or two of natural organic peanut butter before bed with my protein meal.
    Last edited by VeraDeMilo; 11-20-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    brie is one, monteray jack pepper, and monterey jack horseradish is another good one. but they have about 5 g of sat fat per serving. but no sugar no carbs.
    Thanks Edgar. I'll look into those this spring when I run the diet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    could be another type of carb, but more than likely it is because of our rounding system, if you nice, most of our products are rounded to the nearest whole number, sometimes we have 1.5 or 2.5 but that's mostly with fats, so if there is less than .5g of sugar they just round it down or say less than one gram
    Thanks Phate. That makes sense

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    If you have a couple of $$ you can buy Lyle Mcdonald ultimate diet 2.0, i have the book here and its great.

You dont have to eat 6 meals a day when you are on a ketogenic diet, in fact i got some pertty good results eating only 3-4.

At first i took the fat burner stimulant X because i had cravings, all people are different and some will take more time to get the rid of the craving effect, even worst if you are a sugar or carb addict.

The diet is fully explained and there is a full body workout too.

My main issue with this diet is that i cannot stand ketosis, and i was never able to adapt to it either, the foggy, dizzy effect never went away, and at some point i really had no energy leff, and some times ended up carbing up sooner then i should have.

Usually its 4-5 days of low carbing with 1-2 days of carb up.

Again its fully explained in the book, i dont know if there is a e-book version that you could download.

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    If you have a couple of $$ you can buy Lyle Mcdonald ultimate diet 2.0, i have the book here and its great.

You dont have to eat 6 meals a day when you are on a ketogenic diet, in fact i got some pertty good results eating only 3-4.

At first i took the fat burner stimulant X because i had cravings, all people are different and some will take more time to get the rid of the craving effect, even worst if you are a sugar or carb addict.

The diet is fully explained and there is a full body workout too.

My main issue with this diet is that i cannot stand ketosis, and i was never able to adapt to it either, the foggy, dizzy effect never went away, and at some point i really had no energy leff, and some times ended up carbing up sooner then i should have.

Usually its 4-5 days of low carbing with 1-2 days of carb up.

Again its fully explained in the book, i dont know if there is a e-book version that you could download.
    Hey Yannick, I am familiar with McDonalds version of the diet. You are correct that you don't need 6 meals a day. The reason most of us use six meals is so that we can get in the correct amount of proteins and fats by the end of the day. Some of the bigger guys and guys with high daily activity levels require much more calories, so its easier to add extra meals to get them, instead of having to eat huge quantities each meal. You can do the diet with 3 meals, you can do it with 10 meals. 6 is just a common amount of meals that most bodybuilders take in by trying to space their meals every 2.5- 3 hours.

As for you never being able to adapt to ketosis and the foggy, dizzy feeling never going away, this is most likely because you never reached ketosis. These are symptoms that one exhibits in the 3-4 days leading into ketosis. And I would expect the reasoning for this is because as you later said, you gave into your cravings and carbed up sooner than you should of. You said you did the diet for 5 days and then 2 days carbing up. (Which I know a lot of keto diets allow you to do.) However, my problem with this is that it takes 3-4 days to get your body into ketosis. Once you carb up, ur out of it and must repeat the cycle untill the carbs are all depleted from your body again. You probably felt great on your 2 carb days and the day after, like crap the next 4, untill you carbed up again. That is because your body is running on carbs still. And its still looking for them as fuel. If you let it go a few more days without giving into your cravings, you would have reached ketosis.

There are instruments called keto sticks that allow you to test if you are truly in ketosis or not.

In the version of the diet that I suggest to everyone, you get one carb meal a week. Not a day of carbs. One meal. And when starting the diet, you don't get to have one the first week. Your first cheat meal comes at the end of the second week. This is to truly get people into ketosis. And once your body is in ketosis, you will know. Your energy level stays steady, your mood never changes, you think clearly, you feel like a million dollars. Try the keto sticks next time you have that foggy feeling and I bet it tells you that you aren't in ketosis yet.
    Last edited by VeraDeMilo; 11-20-2008 at 10:03 AM.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes but ketostix are not accurate at least that is what i have been told, mine where dark purple, and beleive me i did reach ketosis.

Thanks for the great comments and help on the diet but to tell you the thruth i am done with keto and low carbing, has i said its just not for me, i did atkins, bodyopus, the anabolic diet, and UD 2.0, CDK, even TKD at some point where i ate some carbs after training only.

Right now i am doing a low glycemic diet which works best for me, i eat oatmeal everyday, soy milk and couple of other very low impact carb foods, i dont eat fruits but i do eat green veggies.

I got my efa supplement from universal and everything is working fine has of now i also eat plain yogourt in the morning.

I am glad that you are doing ok when in ketosis, i got so many mixed reviews on this issue. In fact this diet is not new i met some people who where doing it back in the 70, and again i got some mixed reviews there.

No question about weight loss, its the best thing to do, but has far has the feeling yagggg.

bimmermane90 is offline New Member
    This DAVES Ketosis diet plan. Where can I find it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information