Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keto diet info

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmermane90 View Post
    This DAVES Ketosis diet plan. Where can I find it?
    It's Dave Palumbo's version. I believe BigTexan wrote it out on the first page of the thread. Also, go to Dave Palumbo's forum on muscular development . com and he gives a free basic version of the diet and answers any questions about it as well.

ravanA is offline Junior Member
    with the cheat meal, do u eat the other meals as well? do you replace a meal or do u eliminate all the meals for the day??

Quote Originally Posted by ravanA View Post
    with the cheat meal, do u eat the other meals as well? do you replace a meal or do u eliminate all the meals for the day??
    Yes, you eat the other meals as well. The cheat meal just replaces one of the meals. It's wise to have your cheat meal for your dinner meal though. A lot of times when guys have their cheat meal early in the day, they end up cheating the rest of the day too. I always had mine at dinner. That way I only had time for one other meal before bed.

TheKing. is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys. Good info here. I've got a question.

My diet as of late is not perfect, but I am trying to get my body into ketosis.

Tell me if this diet is ok.

meal 1
    50 Gram low carb whey protein w/ Banana and 2 tbs PB natural

meal 2
    T-Bone Steak with a little bit of seasoning

meal 3
    50 gram low carb whey protein w/ Banana and 2 tbs PB natural

meal 4
    2 Beef Patty with lettuce and Yellow Cheese

meal 5

Shit, I'm eating too many Bananas huh? Also, I use 2% milkfat for shakes...
    I'm not gonna go Keto am I????

bumpity bump.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKing. View Post
    Hey guys. Good info here. I've got a question.

My diet as of late is not perfect, but I am trying to get my body into ketosis.

Tell me if this diet is ok.

meal 1
    50 Gram low carb whey protein w/ Banana and 2 tbs PB natural

meal 2
    T-Bone Steak with a little bit of seasoning

meal 3

meal 4
    2 Beef Patty with lettuce and Yellow Cheese

meal 5

Shit, I'm eating too many Bananas huh? Also, I use 2% milkfat for shakes...
    I'm not gonna go Keto am I????

Nope, you won't go anywhere near keto with that diet. First off, drop the bananas. One medium sized banana has 27g of carbohydrates. (14g from sugars). So you are consuming around 81 grams of carbohydrates daily just from the bananas. I would be hesitant about the cheese also. You say yellow cheese, so I assume you are referring to something like a 2% milk singles yellow cheese. These have 3g of carbohydrates (1g from sugar) per slice. Thats not that bad I guess, but use it sparingly. Also, your 2% milkfat can have up to 13 grams of carbs from sugar per cup. Drop the milk and use water for your shakes.

ok, I dropped that milk and bananas. I hope this works.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Does alcohol take you out of keto for more than two hours?

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    depends on the type of alcohol, the amount consumed, and what type of mixers with it.

mustang331 is offline Member
    I drink Vodka and diet anything..

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beverages/3843/2

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    If someone is ketotic and is 100% reliant of gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. Also the alcohol stops ketone body production which leaves the brain entirely without fuel. Which means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will cause the blood glucose level to fall. This can be dangerous due to low blood sugar. In other words do NOT consume alcohol if you are truly in a state of ketosis and are truly looking for results

Footnote: Gluconeogenesis is the process in which all the liver glycogen is used up and the liver has to make glucose from non-carb sources.
    Last edited by Reed; 12-10-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thats good info Reed. I agree with the above, however if you would like a drink once in a while and it is in moderation, you will be fine.

In my earlier years experimenting with this diet, (During my college days) it was not uncommon for me to drink 4-5 vodka on the rocks a night, 3+ times a week. I had no trouble staying in ketosis and felt no abnormal effects. But like anything, I'm sure this could differ from person to person.
    Last edited by VeraDeMilo; 12-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    Thats good info Reed. I agree with the above, however if you would like a drink once in a while and it is in moderation, you will be fine.

In my earlier years experimenting with this diet, (During my college days) it was not uncommon for me to drink 4-5 vodka on the rocks a night, 3+ times a week. I had no trouble staying in ketosis and felt no abnormal effects. But like anything, I'm sure this could differ from person to person.
    What if you know you're going to go out say sat. night.. And know you are going to drink and what not.. can't you just make that day/night a cheat one?

Eat some carbs and what not?

How long does it take to go back into Keto

theoretically you could. your "cheat meal" can be a few hours. Dave gives you a 2 hour period where u can eat and drink what you want. Assuming you don't go overboard, you should be able to get back into ketosis by the next morning

FlammableFlava is offline New Member
    What cheese is better with the Keto Diet? Cottage or normal cheddar?

BuffedGuy is offline Senior Member
    How would I just adjust this diet here...

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy *****-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good *****-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the *****-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (*****-3) eggs and 4 extra whites
    ...for a 170 lb man?
    Last edited by BuffedGuy; 12-22-2008 at 02:54 AM.

Three more questions:

1. If we wanted to eat chicken instead of whey protein, what amount of chicken would be good to replace 50 g of Whey?

2 In the lean protein meal where we are supposed to eat 8oz of chicken, does this have to be white meat (i.e. breast)? Or can I eat leg/thigh piece?

3. It seems like you are eating an insane number of egg yolks on this diet. I have high cholesterol. I'm reading from the mayo clinic website ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608 ) which says that one egg (with yolk) has 213 mg of cholesterol in it, and someone like me should have only have 200 mg of cholesterol a day. Obviously eating so many yolks is not right for me...so is there anything I can substitute the eggs with?
    Last edited by BuffedGuy; 12-22-2008 at 03:01 AM.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    1- 8 oz
    2- in keto diet dark meat is fine
    3- 0 m e ga -3 eggs or egg substitute(egg beaters) (add in olive oil to repleace fat content)

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot, bro. I really appreciate it.

And how about the first question: i.e. how to adjust 200 lb plan for a 170 lb man?

Also, if I want to have lean ground beef instead of chicken for one of the meals, then can how much? 8 oz again? Isn't that a lot?

Blog Entries
    ok when u substitue a food on the plan you have to match the macros up for that meal. In other words when u asked about dark meat..you can substitute but you should decrease amount of almonds u take in at that meal so protein/fat amounts stay the same. Use caloriecounter.com or other site to help with substitutions and keeping macros in line. One more thing ..the diet you posted above is Dave Palumbos diet ..it is very strict and mostly all fats, or as many as possible come from monounsaturated sources..when u sub dark meat , ground beef etc...for lean pro meals, as long as u adjust other source of fat intake with meal and keeop macros identical ,you will get the same results but the diet is not as healthy as the version with lean proteins/ mono fats or proteins with essential fatty acids(salmon etc..) as far as adjusting for 170 there is a formula i dont know it off hand but changes if memory serves me would be minimal ...gimme a little time and ill see if i can find that info...

Thanks bro, you've been very helpful. Sorry for the newbie questions.

One more question *eek!* -- how many slim jims can you have in a day? I feel weird going on a diet and eating those yummy things.

Can someone please answer the slim jims question please: how many is too many per day?

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    quick question, may be stupid, but for the eggs, does it matter if they are cooked?

Ive tried the raw eggs thing and I can stomach it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffedGuy View Post
    Can someone please answer the slim jims question please: how many is too many per day?
    sorry i kinda forgot about this thread....as long as you stay within your parameters ie calories/macros just fit them in accordingly..if u wanna use them for add on snacks i wouldnt do more than 2/day...tons of sodium bro *L*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    quick question, may be stupid, but for the eggs, does it matter if they are cooked?

much higher avail of protein if eggs are cooked not raw..plus safer from a health standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post

I always like using liquid pasteurized egg whites. I just drink them straight from the carton.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    ewwwwwwwwwwwww
    lol. Its not bad at all. Try it! No taste. No oder. And just a little thicker than water.

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    what does this diet do to total, LDL, and HDL cholesterol? Has anyone had blood work prior, during and after?

Seems like it would cause a spike but the body works in mysterious ways

Blog Entries
    i cant speak to "this" keto diet but interestingly enough with atkins diet the cholesterol values actually imporved...and that diet doent even emphaszie heatly fats...just fats/protein.go figure.....

^^ thanks. so we can guess that the cholesterol numbers would probably be similar on this diet.

has anyone successfully used a keto diet when trying to gain mass and loose fat simultaneously?

Blog Entries
    i think it can be done TO A SMALL EXTENT. Those are the claims made by ckd/body opus/anabolic diet. IMO it is most effective at mass retention while cutting...unless it is your first go round working out dieting etc...i dont think its realistic to expect much in the way of mass gains while dropping large amounts of bodyfat. As far as muscle sparing while cutting...it is amazing at this imo.

thanks. may give this a try in the spring/early summer. hoping to add a few more #S first . . .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information