bimmermane90 is offline New Member

HELP! While trying the KETO diet, Im craving sweets!!

It really is the weirdest thing. I actually hate sweets. As is desserts. I can do alittle ice cream, or MAYBE half a snickers, but thats it. Even that is once in a blue moon. Now I have already messed up, and ruined the week, but following the Keto diet, I am craving sweets so bad. I mean, we are talking like stuffing my face with sweets. What do I do? Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Please help.

bimmermane90 is offline New Member
    No one?

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    how long have u been on it? these cravings usually pass after the first week once your body is fully in ketosis. remember... you cant have anything with sugar at all. not even ketchup, fruit, regular milk, etc.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmermane90 View Post
    It really is the weirdest thing. I actually hate sweets. As is desserts. I can do alittle ice cream, or MAYBE half a snickers, but thats it. Even that is once in a blue moon. Now I have already messed up, and ruined the week, but following the Keto diet, I am craving sweets so bad. I mean, we are talking like stuffing my face with sweets. What do I do? Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Please help.
    I haven't tried a keto diet yet (starting next week), but I have the same problem when I simply go low on carbs... Everytime I get a craving, it seems like it's later in the day or at night (correct?) and the only thing I can do is to workout a little bit... I would just start doing crunches or the ab roller. If it got real bad, I would go to the gym and do cardio again, which kills my cravings for usually around 2 hrs... Sucks, but you've got to figure out something...

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I haven't tried a keto diet yet (starting next week), but I have the same problem when I simply go low on carbs... Everytime I get a craving, it seems like it's later in the day or at night (correct?) and the only thing I can do is to workout a little bit... I would just start doing crunches or the ab roller. If it got real bad, I would go to the gym and do cardio again, which kills my cravings for usually around 2 hrs... Sucks, but you've got to figure out something...
    Yeah, this is a common problem with LOW carb diets. Keto is theoretically a NO carb diet. (However you do get a few carbs indirectly, but these should not be from sugar.) Once you fully reach ketosis, your body's craving for carbs will cease. Until this time, you can usually blunt your hunger cravings with one or two table spoons of natural organic peanut butter. (NO Jiff or Skippy).

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    sugar free jello , cottage or ricotta cheese with splenda and cinnamon. When I do keto i give myself one cheat treat on my carb up day. When the sweet tooth hits just knowing i cant have it now but could have it as cheat in a few days gets me through.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    how long have u been on it? these cravings usually pass after the first week once your body is fully in ketosis. remember... you cant have anything with sugar at all. not even ketchup, fruit, regular milk, etc.
    Sugar free Ketchup is fine..

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I keep salt free almonds on hand and eat them at night if I feel the cravings..

It helps!!

W.I.L.L is offline Junior Member
    I've been craving sweets just like you speak of. I acutally cheated last night, just a little, with a few sugar free mint patties. Still not good, but none the less.

I actually modified the keto diet somewhat and eat carbs in the morning (1/2 cup of oats), right before workout meal (1/2 cup of organic, whole wheat pasta or spelt pasta), and then post-workout I have 1/2 cup of organic apple sauce. Those are the only carbs I take in throughout the entire day.

I'm not obese (about 14% BF, roughly) and the first 2 days I started the keto diet, I could INSTANTLY feel my blood sugar crash at 3:00 PM both days. That is why I decided to add in the additional carbs at the times I did just to get through day without killing my energy.

Quote Originally Posted by W.I.L.L View Post
    I've been craving sweets just like you speak of. I acutally cheated last night, just a little, with a few sugar free mint patties. Still not good, but none the less.

I actually modified the keto diet somewhat and eat carbs in the morning (1/2 cup of oats), right before workout meal (1/2 cup of organic, whole wheat pasta or spelt pasta), and then post-workout I have 1/2 cup of organic apple sauce. Those are the only carbs I take in throughout the entire day.

I'm not obese (about 14% BF, roughly) and the first 2 days I started the keto diet, I could INSTANTLY feel my blood sugar crash at 3:00 PM both days. That is why I decided to add in the additional carbs at the times I did just to get through day without killing my energy.
    If it works for you then GREAT!! I tried that as well but it did not work for me

As for energy, yea by 3pm (waking up at 6:30) I am dead to the world.. I get home and chug a half a cup of strong coffee (black of course no sugar) and I get about 2 hours of a jolt.. Enough to get my cardio/workout done.

Quote Originally Posted by W.I.L.L View Post

Your diet is no longer the keto diet then. You are now on a low carb diet. The point of the keto diet is to get your body into Ketosis where it runs on fats as energy instead of carbs. You are sabotaging the diet by adding these carbs, and in addition, causing and prolonging that "Crash" feeling. When you are truly in ketosis, you will never have a crash feeling, because you never spike your insulin levels. Instead, you will have an equal and stable amount of energy throughout the day. If you need an extra boos of energy pre-workout, then have a cup of black coffee.
    As for cheat meals. You get ONE a week which is the same as your carb-up meal. That is the only meal of the entire week that should contain any direct carbs. And technically, when starting the keto diet, it is advised that you don't get your first cheat/carb meal till the end of the 2nd week. If you have any meals in the meantime with direct carbs, you are not on the ketogenic diet

Quote Originally Posted by mustang331 View Post
    Sugar free Ketchup is fine..
    didnt even know there was such a thing

Blog Entries
    Hmm i hear what you are saying VeraDeMilo, and if you do keto by the standards of body opus , CKD, Anabolic Diet then you are right BUT some people stay in ketosis consuming up to 100 grams of carbs per day...so its not hard to believe at all with those small amts of carbs u could remain in ketosis. Is it as effective? - i dunno. Is it possible - absolutely. So I guess my point is you can be on a ketogenic diet (that is body in a state of ketosis) while ingesting small amounts of carbs ...you are just not following the diets i mentioned above by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Hmm i hear what you are saying VeraDeMilo, and if you do keto by the standards of body opus , CKD, Anabolic Diet then you are right BUT some people stay in ketosis consuming up to 100 grams of carbs per day...so its not hard to believe at all with those small amts of carbs u could remain in ketosis. Is it as effective? - i dunno. Is it possible - absolutely. So I guess my point is you can be on a ketogenic diet (that is body in a state of ketosis) while ingesting small amounts of carbs ...you are just not following the diets i mentioned above by doing so.
    You are correct. Whenever I refer to the ketogenic diet, I always refer to Dave Palumbos. So I apologize for the confusion.

I know of the others but chose not to follow them. For Bodybuilding purposes, I feel Dave's is superior. So yes, the amount of emphasis I place on carb restriction refers to one specific form of this diet. I have tried the cyclical ketogenic diet also, and found this one to be terrible. The CKD basically gives you two full days over the weekend to load up on carbs. Then 5 days no carb diet. For me and the average person, it takes about 3-4 days to reach ketosis, so this diet only gave me one day (Friday) feeling great in ketosis, and the four prior days feeling like crap.

Daves is much more difficult and not for the average person. It is geared specifically for bodybuilders. And in his strict diet, any type of cheat other than your one meal a week is sabotage to the diet.

And I cannot see the benefits in consuming over 40-60g of carbs a day. It seems counterproductive on this type of diet. Yes if you took in 100g of carbs a day you could stay in ketosis, but in order to do that, your entire workout and much of your cardio session would be spent trying to burn those carbs up. If the carb intake is restricted to 40-60g, those will fuel your workout, and by the time you are done and about to do cardio, you will go straight to burning fats again.

So I guess, yes, you could stay in ketosis with 100g a day if you bust your ass in the gym and cardio, but I feel fat loss would not be as great.

And also, I think in a way this will make the diet harder. mentally and physically. If you are allowing yourself little carb cheats throughout the day, you will continue to crave carbs. And your energy levels are gonna hit peaks and valleys becacuse of the insulin spike. If you don't cheat at all, (except for your once a week cheat meal), you will not have these cravings at all. It's just getting through that first week that is the toughest
    Last edited by VeraDeMilo; 11-14-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    VeraDeMilo - I agree with you - it prob is superior in those terms. I believe i have seen daves diet - but dont know it to the t. . I am NOT one of the people that can consume 100 grams carbs and stay in ketosis - not even close. I am currently on ketogenic diet. I was in car accident and coudlnt train for 7 months. Broke my jaw(among many other bones) and lost weight first 2 months but after that lost all self discipline and got fat as hell! I do as close to no carb as possible (incidental carbs with protein fat dense foods only) Saturday after 6 pm to friday at 6pm. Friday night = cheat meal ; sat day = clean carb up - lean protein/complex carbs; sat night = back to no carb. I agree with your diet and it is closer to what i have to do. My only "vice" is sugar free jello - 1g carb during no carb phase - 1 serving per day - if that. Diet is very individual - what works for some doesnt for others. I like the anabolic or anti catabolic results i get with my diet structured this way (or have in the past) - at this point its mainly to drop body fat as i am just now back to the gym.

Sorry to hear about your accident. And it sucks getting back into it after taking a lot of time off. I had to do the same after two knee reconstructions. Stick with it, you'll get back to where you were. Good luck

Thread Information