Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Pulcinella is offline New Member

Do your family and friends understand your diet?

In this clip from the bodybuilding documentary Raising the Bar, amateur competitor Dave Pulcinella, explains his theory of "The 6 foods that work" and how his family just doesn't understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPDWklSLz8

Does anyone else experience this kind of thing?

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah any time I`m at the in-laws palce and I turn down everything they offer me, then open up a container with plain chicken they think I`m weird but hey I`m the in shape one so I think they know it works but most people just cant handle it.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    I've heard many times ''if I looked like you I would eat whatever I wanted''. clueless.
    one of my buddies is quite overweight, which is a shame because he has good genetics. several years ago I got him into lifting and in about a year he filled out nicely, then just lost interest and stopped. Now he's probably 40%bf, yet he makes fun of me for my diet. I just think ''yeah, laugh it up lardass'' lol.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    "Yeah People Friends asm me dumb questions like so your not going to eat the chicken because its fried, and this and that, oh you eat small meal-AJ slaps a 6 oz chicken breast down with 6 oz of red potatoes then says is this a small meal? lol, Most of my friends Envy the way i look and say this or that about how they wanna eat right and workout but the never do because they dont have the motivation they claim, i just say i know how i want to look and whats going to get me their the fastest, and its not drinking beer and eating pizza, And BTW most all of us enjoy the food we eat because its good wholesome food.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    No they dont, not even a little bit, lol....short and sweet.

dg101 is offline Junior Member
    Thats exactly what happens to me. I was a somewhat borderline alcoholic up until i decided to pursue a more healthy lifestyle recently and now all of my buddies and roommates look at me so weird when i'm eating food that hasn't been deep fried or bought in a bar. Quite strange honestly...

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dg101 View Post
    Thats exactly what happens to me. I was a somewhat borderline alcoholic up until i decided to pursue a more healthy lifestyle recently and now all of my buddies and roommates look at me so weird when i'm eating food that hasn't been deep fried or bought in a bar. Quite strange honestly...
    Indeed it is. Ignore them, and good for you. Try to post on here as much as you can. It can be very comforting to know that there are other people out there that live the same lifestyle. Even if you dont know them personally.

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    I purchased this video, And I for one feel this is my life day in and day out.
    I recommend this video to any serious BB.

THEMEATEATER is offline Associate Member
    my mother and gf say i'm obsessed because I weigh everything and write down everything. I know some people like to stick to the exact thing day in day out, but I like a bit of variety when it comes down to food otherwise I'd just get sick of the same thing.
    F@k um.....and their Law!!!

Same shit happens to me, we are looked upon differently.
    Hence why I bought this DVD series 1 and 2, normally I don't buy any DVDs, ever.
    Last edited by jackjackson; 11-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackjackson View Post
    Same shit happens to me, we are looked upon differently.
    Hence why I bought this DVD series 1 and 2m, normally I don't buy any DVDs, ever.
    what dvds that then m8? sorry if I missed it anywhere!

http://www.mikepulcinella.com/dvdsforsale.htm

This is for the serious BB, Im not assoicated with it in any way, but I relate to this 100%, and haven't seen another DVD like it, can't wait for part 3 to come out

Oh right, their obviously worth the money then. I have been tempted in the past to buy the odd video or dvd but never did. I may get one of them then when I've got the extra cash, could be interesting

Well they had a deal both 1 and 2 for like 35$ compared to 30$ per dvd.
    Thats why I bought it, otherwise im not a DVD buyer at all

dg101 is offline Junior Member
    I appreciate the support abbot. Thats what i like about this place.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've realized that family starts to adapt or accept it more than friends. I hear from friends/past gf's "Why do you eat that shit", "that's gross", "you're crazy"...I'm sure I am not the only one who hears those comments on a regular basis. I personally could careless.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    My family now does.

But they've been around my bodybuilding for 11 or 12 years now... So i guess that's only expected.

My current girlfriend doesn't understand... neither does her family.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    I catch shit from almost everyone of my family and friends.... The thing that pisses me off the most about it is that I was very obese at 42%BF and now I never go above 10% and they flip me shit for the way I eat! Makes no sense imo...

Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I catch shit from almost everyone of my family and friends.... The thing that pisses me off the most about it is that I was very obese at 42%BF and now I never go above 10% and they flip me shit for the way I eat! Makes no sense imo...

I went through the same damn thing. The most aggravating part is they were on your ass when you were obese now they look at you like you're crazy because your diet is strict. It will never make sense to me lol

Dias_x is offline Junior Member
    The last 3 months i lost all my "friends" and end up to be alone.
    I stopped drinking,smoking,doing drugs got back to the gym,diet,supplements gained 22 pounds only from m1t and going for my first cycle on Test E or sustanon .
    whoever judges my healthy lifestyle gets automaticaly to my black book

jnewton86 is offline Member
    lol, and i thought i was the only one that got to hear all this crap everyday. reassuring to hear others that have to go through the same sh*t. I gave up a long time ago trying to explain to people why i eat what i eat . everyone wants to criticize you and tell you what to eat. i look at it this way, unless u lift seriously or are a bodybuilder, i dont wanna hear what you have to say about what im eating. thats what i do, and besides that, the body speaks for itself when u eat healthy

does anyone know the site where you can buy this dvd???? nm, i saw the link
    Last edited by jnewton86; 11-14-2008 at 08:55 PM.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    my girl friend went to the point to say i was putting lifting and eating right before her

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    my girl friend went to the point to say i was putting lifting and eating right before her
    I was waitin for this one. Before i get with a girl, i just straight up tell em, just cuz u have a *****, doesnt mean im gonna kiss your ass. i will do what i have to do

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Its funny how when your healthy and eat right, people consider you a health freak, like its a bad thing... I really don't understand it.

Every time I down a shake or my liquid egg whites, anything "out of the ordinary", I get the whole steroids this, steroids that, too much protein this, too much that...blah blah blah..freak..blah blah...

It pisses me off to no end

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Indeed it is. Ignore them, and good for you. Try to post on here as much as you can. It can be very comforting to know that there are other people out there that live the same lifestyle. Even if you dont know them personally.
    Agreed. Just browsing the site helps motivate me...

My friends are all pretty cool and don't give me a hard time, and my moom and dad also both eat very clean so no biggie there.

But my damn co-workers recently started calling me "tuna man"

Mike Pulcinella is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    Agreed. Just browsing the site helps motivate me...

My friends are all pretty cool and don't give me a hard time, and my moom and dad also both eat very clean so no biggie there.

But my damn co-workers recently started calling me "tuna man"
    Big Tuna!!! Like on The Office? You watch that?

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL no I've never heard of it...
    One dude did call me that tho... I didn't think it was off a tv program tho LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    I went through the same damn thing. The most aggravating part is they were on your ass when you were obese now they look at you like you're crazy because your diet is strict. It will never make sense to me lol
    AMEN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    That's what pretty much ended my last serious relationship

AHH it sucks... my girlfriends family are the worst!! its funny how ppl say oh man i wish i looked like that .. and then laugh when you eat what you have to eat to look like that... i disagree with the food tasting good tho... id much rather prefer to eat a burger everyday if it made me looked ripped! but eating has nothin to do with taste for me. Just eat your food.. if someone gives u shit.. then eat them too

Dias_x is offline Junior Member
    Todays comment when i got back from store with my caseine and weight gainer was: "more crap?" from my bro in law lol

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    It's because you make them uncomfortable.

When you were fat, you made them conscious of the possibility of that happening to them.

Now you're lean, you make them feel more conscious about their fatness.

What they really want, is for you to be just like them.

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    It's because you make them uncomfortable.

When you were fat, you made them conscious of the possibility of that happening to them.

Now you're lean, you make them feel more conscious about their fatness.

What they really want, is for you to be just like them.
    Good point Nark... Problem is I'm not like them and lead a totally different lifestyle at this point, so conflict is inevitable... We may disagree, but family is family and I try to not pressure them into fitness/nutrition, so I just expect the same respect from them...

Zino is offline Associate Member
    most of my friends understand since ive been eating like this longer than ive known them or they do it themselves but some people in my family just dont get it. I try not to get too frustrated when trying to explain..

Whenever I get my shipments and get in the elevator at my building pulling a dollie with 4-5 boxes from BB i get sooo many comments that make no sense its not even funny.

Zino is offline Associate Member
    Dont you guys wish you could just rip your shirt off and hit a nice lat spread to explain sometimes? I think it would make things much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Zino View Post
    Dont you guys wish you could just rip your shirt off and hit a nice lat spread to explain sometimes? I think it would make things much easier.
    haha too shay.. i think ppl just hate wat they dont understand and bottom line they are jealous cos they dont have the determination to do it... those who cant do hate those that can

Quote Originally Posted by anabolictonic View Post
    haha too shay.. i think ppl just hate wat they dont understand and bottom line they are jealous cos they dont have the determination to do it... those who cant do hate those that can
    Yeah that is how I see it as wel. Females are a lot worse with not understanding and making smart ass comments. They feel like shit because they see how strict our diet is and 9 times out of 10 their diet is horrific.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Yeah that is how I see it as wel. Females are a lot worse with not understanding and making smart ass comments. They feel like shit because they see how strict our diet is and 9 times out of 10 their diet is horrific.
    you think females are bad, you should try the college kids i go to school with, it's horrible, i got laughed at for eating sweet potatos and chicken, by a guy eatting chick-fil-a sandwiches and french fries, lol

i was like, hold up, you are eating what i'm eating, except yours is making you a fatass and mine is giving me a six-pack, who should be laughing at who?

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    you think females are bad, you should try the college kids i go to school with, it's horrible, i got laughed at for eating sweet potatos and chicken, by a guy eatting chick-fil-a sandwiches and french fries, lol

i was like, hold up, you are eating what i'm eating, except yours is making you a fatass and mine is giving me a six-pack, who should be laughing at who?
    Bro I am a college student too. Believe me, I know exactly what you go through. Some days I sit in the corner of the cafeteria becaause i dont wanna hear everyones comments. It's a real pain in the ass after a while. I bet you can also relate to the lack of drinking you do and how every other student thinks your crazy. FcuK em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information