Cavallino is offline Associate Member

Looking for a good PWO meal

When it comes to diet I'm all about real food. Pretty much everywhere I read the standard is 40-60g whey with double that in carbs PWO.

What's a good PWO meal consisting of real food only that I can eat 15-30minutes after working out that will have the same effects?

mustang331 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    When it comes to diet I'm all about real food. Pretty much everywhere I read the standard is 40-60g whey with double that in carbs PWO.

What's a good PWO meal consisting of real food only that I can eat 15-30minutes after working out that will have the same effects?
    I am curious about this as well, because I know its supposed to be something that absorbs quickly.. What kinds of foods do this??

I would think the carbs would be easier than the protein.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    eat an entire meal after an exhausting workout in as little as 15-30 minutes??? GOOD LUCK! I always do 50 grams of whey from Beverly International or Isopure, because they are the best, along with 80-100 grams of waximaize starch. PPWO meal i can recommend if ur interested at all...

2 brown rice cake
    6 oz. can of tuna fish on "12 grain" bread with light mayo and a slice of cheese
    ...this will get you 60 carbs, and about 30 grams of protein, so i usually drink another scoop of whey with this meal, but you can always add some egg whites or another source of protein.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    1 cup oats
    2 scoop of whey
    half an apple

Can't get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    1 cup oats
    2 scoop of whey
    half an apple

i would rather have that girl in your avator for a pwo meal.

haha so pretty much whey is my only option?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    haha so pretty much whey is my only option?
    whey is the only thing i would expect to be able to consume in 15-30 minutes. don't forget to add simple carbs.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    scoop of whey
    2 cups skim milk
    cup of fat free cottage cheese
    half cup oats.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    whey is the only thing i would expect to be able to consume in 15-30 minutes. don't forget to add simple carbs.
    what do you add for simple carbs? i was reading 50/50 dextrose and maltodextrin. again... no natural simple carbs?

waximaize starch is the best...research it.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    1 cup oats
    2 scoop of whey
    half an apple

I'll trump you with 1 banana instead of the 1/2 apple

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    white bread and egg whites. Whey isnt your only option imo it is just a good choice being quickly absorbed and highly utilized protein. Egg protein is prob the best real food alternative or maybe f/f cottage cheese(which has whey in it) or even skim milk as a partial source of protein- this also has high glycemic carbs as well. As for carbs like you said higher glycemic relatively low fat. (white bread , white potato, starchy carbs - not whole grains) Fruit choices would be limited because fructose will not cause insulin spike most post w/o drinks or meals strive for however bananas and kiwi prob would work better than other choices. All this being said while i like mostly whole foods i think for me post workout is the one time where a shake is in order. Speed , convenience , and appetite (or lack there of) after an intense workout makes shakes a good option.

Blog Entries
    oh and to clarify by PWO meal you meant meal instead of a shake ..not meal immeaditely following the PWO shake etc... correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    oh and to clarify by PWO meal you meant meal instead of a shake ..not meal immeaditely following the PWO shake etc... correct?
    correct, thanks

guess i'm going to go with the shake on this one.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    I mix my whey/soy/casein powder mixture with 250g of white rice, 20g oats, and 1 cup of ff cottage cheese for my PWO meal/shake ... I eat it while I'm at the gym, so I soon as drop the last weight/get done with cardio, I'm eating, not drinking..

Nobody has tried soy? Soy powder absorbs almost as quickly as whey... and the negative hype about estrogen related sides from consuming soy is BS...
    Last edited by fit4ever180; 11-15-2008 at 07:21 PM.

richtries is offline Associate Member
    im also a big fan of the real food only.....

1 banana
    1 scoop of whey
    1 cup of oats
    6 egg whites
    a splash of semi skimmed milk
    ice

this is the PWO shake im using on a cutting regime, hence no simple carbs, the banana is for taste and the potassium, should i drop or replace this?

also is the protein from the egg whites likely to be absorbed quick enough, or should i drop this for an extra scoop of whey?

Quote Originally Posted by richtries View Post
    im also a big fan of the real food only.....

1 banana
    1 scoop of whey
    1 cup of oats
    6 egg whites
    a splash of semi skimmed milk
    ice

this is the PWO shake im using on a cutting regime, hence no simple carbs, the banana is for taste and the potassium, should i drop or replace this?

also is the protein from the egg whites likely to be absorbed quick enough, or should i drop this for an extra scoop of whey?

I think it's pretty good... 90% of milk protein comes as a form of casein, but I'd throw in a 1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese for another 13g... egg whites absorb at a rate of 1.4g per/hr, so you're providing a longer supply of protein, which imo is the way to go... If it's working for you, don't fix it!

richtries is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I think it's pretty good... 90% of milk protein comes as a form of casein, but I'd throw in a 1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese for another 13g... egg whites absorb at a rate of 1.4g per/hr, so you're providing a longer supply of protein, which imo is the way to go... If it's working for you, don't fix it!
    cool . . . hard to tell if its working but donīt you need protein with quick absorption in your PWO in order to change as quickly as possible your body from catabolic to anabolic state . . .

Am interested to know where you found your info on protein absorption rates, searched but cant find a table or anything?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Down your amino's right after your workout and follow with a meal asap....something quick and easy

egg whites
    4-5 rice cakes with natty jelly

or better yet
    1-2 chicken breast with 1 1/2 cups white rice...

follow that with another meal of chicken breast and 1 cup brown rice or oats or sweet potatoe and your good to go. Yes shakes are important and can be used but can be done without....especially when dieting down.

Quote Originally Posted by richtries View Post
    cool . . . hard to tell if its working but donīt you need protein with quick absorption in your PWO in order to change as quickly as possible your body from catabolic to anabolic state . . .

Am interested to know where you found your info on protein absorption rates, searched but cant find a table or anything?

I'm not really sure where I found it at (google protein absorption rates, protein synthesis, or absoprtion rates for <food item>... I've been searching that topic for awhile now and have yet to come across any table that provides a specific breakdown of numerous protein sources... I have only found a few of the absoprtion rates, but the ones I have found are in published journal articles and generally only discuss 1 or 2 types of protein... Many also look at other aspects in other organisms, so they do not apply to humans and are likely of no use towards our objectives...

mustang331 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    and the negative hype about estrogen related sides from consuming soy is BS...
    Really?? How do we know this? Everything I read says in moderation its fine, but if you eat it excessively it will increase estrogen..

Blog Entries
    In thinking about it - if you like it ff cottage cheese with cinnamon , splenda and raisins. Raisin hi GI carb ..Cottage = low fat high protein. This might be good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang331 View Post
    Really?? How do we know this? Everything I read says in moderation its fine, but if you eat it excessively it will increase estrogen..
    Nearly everything in moderation is alright... I'll find some of lit for you later, but there is controversy from both sides for sure. The most recent studies I've read support the use of so and negate the acclaimed negative side effects.... I'll get back to you on this...

Thread Information