Thread: Amino Acids

SuperLift is offline Senior Member

Amino Acids

Can someone please enlighten me.. I know that protein is built of amino acids, but what are amino acids derived from? Is it from any protein such as beef, chicken, and fish? Or is it only derived from certain protein sources?

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperLift View Post
    Can someone please enlighten me.. I know that protein is built of amino acids, but what are amino acids derived from? Is it from any protein such as beef, chicken, and fish? Or is it only derived from certain protein sources?
    You've got it right... Proteins are made up of polymers called polypeptides, which in turn are made up amino acids. So, in essence, you've really answered your own question. Amino acids are derived from protein and this includes all proteins, not just those that come from meat sources. What source the protein originates from dictates its amino acid profile and the structure by which it's formed (i.e. primary, secondary, tertiary, and quarternary). So, each protein source (i.e. chicken, beef, whey, etc.) is composed of amino acids, but they occur in dfferent amounts, structures, and orientations. Not all protein sources contain essential amino acids (amino acids that are not produced by the human body). Plants contain protein, but very few provide all 8 essential amino acids, where most meat sources contain all 8 amino acids.

Does this answer your questions?

Thread Information