Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    ChickenNKumara is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Diet Critique Please - Macros, Goals, Diet all provided

    Hey guys, I am hoping to get some diet advice and opinions based on my current average daily intake.

    Firstly - NOT ON CYCLE, never have either. Hope that doesnt stop anyone helping me.

    About me, 22 years old, 1.80cm/5.9’ ish, 93kg/205 pound, 12 – 14% BF, training since about 16 or so but more recently the last 3 years in particular.. Very on and offish with sport however and interrupted with a shoulder surgery in the middle. So the last few years have been “make great gains, play too much sport/injured = no training = loss of gains. Repeat process.”

    I always used to be about 7 – 10% BF naturally really lean until I started a bulk diet about 18 months ago. On the diet I gained a lot of mass but had to (well, you know) put on a bit of BF as to not jeopardise any potential gains. Since that point I have not managed to get below 12% again.

    I have been sticking to a similar diet to the below over the last 6 weeks or so and put on some LBM, but went on holiday in the middle and put on some BF, so wanting to get it right now.

    Goals: Short term.. Work to 95kg/210 pounds at 10% (currently 12.5% with my trainer) so about 4kg/9 poundish of LBM all up. SO I want to tighten up the diet and lean out a bit in alliance with moving into a hypotrophy focussed training phase I have just begun.

    My notes: I think I am eating too much fruit, I need an alternative?, and probably too much carbs too late at night (dinner is normally about 8.30pm).

    Some of these macros may be worked out slightly wrong also? This is from a spreadsheet so is a bit difficult to read, hopefully it makes enough sense for you all.

    Either way I appreciate your opinion – let me know if you need more detail.

    My average daily diet is/will be follows:

    Protein Carbohydrates Fat Calories
    8am BREAKFAST
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    1 Cup oats 8 55 4 320
    Protein shake 32 5 2 150

    10.30 MORNING SNACK
    Tin Tuna 30 8 0 169
    Apple 0.4 19 0.2 72

    12.30 LUNCH
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    4pm AFTERNOON TEA
    1 x Pita 10 38 4.2 250
    Cottage Cheese 6 1 2 48
    Tin Tuna 30 8 1 169

    6pm PRE WORKOUT
    Protein shake 20 3 1.3 100
    Apple 0.4 19 0.2 72

    7.30pm POST WORKOUT
    Protein Shake 40 6 3 170
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    Dextrose 0 60 0 240

    8.30pm DINNER
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    10.30pm BEFORE BED
    Cottage Cheese 20 2 5 140
    Protein Shake 18 3 1 100

    TOTALS: 395 418 38 3600 caloriesISH?

  2. #2
    fit4ever180's Avatar
    fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gym and the Kitchen
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNKumara View Post
    Hey guys, I am hoping to get some diet advice and opinions based on my current average daily intake.

    Firstly - NOT ON CYCLE, never have either. Hope that doesnt stop anyone helping me.

    About me, 22 years old, 1.80cm/5.9’ ish, 93kg/205 pound, 12 – 14% BF, training since about 16 or so but more recently the last 3 years in particular.. Very on and offish with sport however and interrupted with a shoulder surgery in the middle. So the last few years have been “make great gains, play too much sport/injured = no training = loss of gains. Repeat process.”

    I always used to be about 7 – 10% BF naturally really lean until I started a bulk diet about 18 months ago. On the diet I gained a lot of mass but had to (well, you know) put on a bit of BF as to not jeopardise any potential gains. Since that point I have not managed to get below 12% again.

    I have been sticking to a similar diet to the below over the last 6 weeks or so and put on some LBM, but went on holiday in the middle and put on some BF, so wanting to get it right now.

    Goals: Short term.. Work to 95kg/210 pounds at 10% (currently 12.5% with my trainer) so about 4kg/9 poundish of LBM all up. SO I want to tighten up the diet and lean out a bit in alliance with moving into a hypotrophy focussed training phase I have just begun.

    My notes: I think I am eating too much fruit, I need an alternative?, and probably too much carbs too late at night (dinner is normally about 8.30pm).

    Some of these macros may be worked out slightly wrong also? This is from a spreadsheet so is a bit difficult to read, hopefully it makes enough sense for you all.

    Either way I appreciate your opinion – let me know if you need more detail.

    My average daily diet is/will be follows:

    Protein Carbohydrates Fat Calories
    8am BREAKFAST
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    1 Cup oats 8 55 4 320
    Protein shake 32 5 2 150 Lose the protein shake and have 2 whole eggs with about 8 whites

    10.30 MORNING SNACK
    Tin Tuna 30 8 0 169
    Apple 0.4 19 0.2 72 drop the apple and have 1 oz. nuts

    12.30 LUNCH
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290 add in fat source
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    4pm AFTERNOON TEA
    1 x Pita 10 38 4.2 250
    Cottage Cheese 6 1 2 48is the pita whole wheat?
    Tin Tuna 30 8 1 169

    6pm PRE WORKOUT
    Protein shake 20 3 1.3 100
    Apple 0.4 19 0.2 72

    7.30pm POST WORKOUT
    Protein Shake 40 6 3 170drop the banana
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    Dextrose 0 60 0 240

    8.30pm DINNER
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290drop kumara and add in 2-3 servings of green veggies and about 15-20g of fat
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    10.30pm BEFORE BED
    Cottage Cheese 20 2 5 140add in a tbs. of natty pb or 1 oz. nuts
    Protein Shake 18 3 1 100

    TOTALS: 395 418 38 3600 caloriesISH?
    Comments in bold above.... Your carbs are really high if you're trying to do a lean nulk and shed some fat... Your fats are WAY too low!

  3. #3
    ChickenNKumara is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thank you very much for your feedback fit4ever - much appreciated. Some times an outside perspective opens up your eyes so much to whats in front of you.. A few questions for you or anyone else willing to assist:

    8am BREAKFAST
    Lose the protein shake and have 2 whole eggs with about 8 whites
    I am not a big eater in the am, I actually blend this meal normally and drink it - whats the verdict on drinking raw eggs, to risky right? Otherwise how else do you suggest?

    10.30 MORNING SNACK
    drop the apple and have 1 oz. nuts
    What type? Salted? Is there a particular type of nuts I need or alternatively those I should avoid?

    12.30 LUNCH
    add in fat source
    Say a tbs of natural PB?


    4pm AFTERNOON TEA
    is the pita whole wheat?
    The pita is Soy and Linseed, not sure if that means much to you.. but from what I have been told is better than plain white etc - possibly BS?

    7.30pm POST WORKOUT
    drop the banana
    Not needed because of the dextrose? In the absence of dextrose will a banana suffice for quick absorbing carbs?


    8.30pm DINNER
    drop kumara and add in 2-3 servings of green veggies and about 15-20g of fat
    Agh, the dreaded veggies line - my arch enemy, figured this one would come out. I guess I need to look into some better vege recipes..


    10.30pm BEFORE BED
    add in a tbs. of natty pb or 1 oz. nuts
    Another blended meal - I was actually using PB here (love the flavour) but took it out figuring it would be too fatty right before bed.. pleased to hear I can use it now... Though finding natural PB is near impossible in my area.

    Your carbs are really high if you're trying to do a lean nulk and shed some fat...
    f Well thats the plan, guess I can blame the carbs for failing to get back down to sub 10% BF.. Ideally what do you believe my total carbs grams should be daily?

    Your fats are WAY too low!
    Will the inclusion of the 2 tsp of PB be enough to bump that up? Also forgot to mention that each drink is with milk, should I leave as is or change to water?

    Again, thanks for your help - really great feedback and any further comments are much appreciated.

  4. #4
    IM708's Avatar
    IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kabutzkatura
    Posts
    4,665
    Also forgot to mention that each drink is with milk, should I leave as is or change to water?
    Definitely water. NO milk.

  5. #5
    AdamGH's Avatar
    AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    Definitely water. NO milk.
    i agree to a point. i think one glass of milk a day wouldn't be to bad. just depends on your goals. its all about moderation. i dont drink milk just because of all the reading i have done on it lol. imo, replace the shakes with food. dont believe the supplement hype!

  6. #6
    fit4ever180's Avatar
    fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gym and the Kitchen
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNKumara View Post
    Thank you very much for your feedback fit4ever - much appreciated. Some times an outside perspective opens up your eyes so much to whats in front of you.. A few questions for you or anyone else willing to assist:

    8am BREAKFAST
    I am not a big eater in the am, I actually blend this meal normally and drink it - whats the verdict on drinking raw eggs, to risky right? Otherwise how else do you suggest?

    Personally, I don't have a problem drinking them raw, but the protein supposedly becomes more readily availabe after they are cooked... It's up to you imo
    10.30 MORNING SNACK
    What type? Salted? Is there a particular type of nuts I need or alternatively those I should avoid? unsalted if possible... I prefer almonds, but anything that fits with your macros for the day will work

    12.30 LUNCH
    Say a tbs of natural PB?excellent choice... 1 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil would work too


    4pm AFTERNOON TEA
    The pita is Soy and Linseed, not sure if that means much to you.. but from what I have been told is better than plain white etc - possibly BS? I'm not sure on the pita? Can you provide a pic of the label with ingredients and macros? It does sound better than normal white bread...

    7.30pm POST WORKOUT
    Not needed because of the dextrose? In the absence of dextrose will a banana suffice for quick absorbing carbs? yes on both accounts... a banana is not nearly as fast absorbing, but if you have kept a constant supply of carbs throughout the day you should be fine... You could always add a 1 or 2 tbs. of honey for some faster digesting carbs with your banana


    8.30pm DINNER
    Agh, the dreaded veggies line - my arch enemy, figured this one would come out. I guess I need to look into some better vege recipes.. Pour some olive oil, fish oil, or macadamia nut oil over the veggies and they're not too bad


    10.30pm BEFORE BED
    Another blended meal - I was actually using PB here (love the flavour) but took it out figuring it would be too fatty right before bed.. pleased to hear I can use it now... Though finding natural PB is near impossible in my area.use the interent! I suggest Power Butter personally, but it's a bit pricey

    f Well thats the plan, guess I can blame the carbs for failing to get back down to sub 10% BF.. Ideally what do you believe my total carbs grams should be daily?

    Will the inclusion of the 2 tsp of PB be enough to bump that up? Also forgot to mention that each drink is with milk, should I leave as is or change to water? while cutting I would switch to water...

    Again, thanks for your help - really great feedback and any further comments are much appreciated.

    Comments in bold

  7. #7
    ChickenNKumara is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Thanks a lot all, much appreciated once again.

    Side notes: 1) I will order some Power Butter, and 2) Out goes the milk, and in comes the water 3) No more evening kumara/sweet potato - time for some proper veggies.

    Below is how I see everything looking now, any other comments or feedback on this or the above?

    I see everything looking like this now:

    Protein Carbohydrates Fat Calories
    BREAKFAST
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    1 Cup oats 8 55 4 320
    2 Eggs, 7 Whites 36 10 10 250

    MORNING SNACK
    Tin Tuna 30 8 0 169
    Nuts 1oz/30g 9 6 20 245

    LUNCH
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290
    1 tbsp PB 8 4 7 90

    AFTERNOON TEA
    1 x Pita 10.1 38 4.2 250
    Cottage Cheese 6 1 2 48
    Tin Tuna 30 8 1 169

    PRE WORKOUT
    Protein shake 20 3.5 1.3 100
    Apple 1 19 0.2 72

    POST WORKOUT
    Protein Shake 40 6.5 3 170
    Dextrose 0 60 0 240

    DINNER
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400
    Vegetables 4 12 1 70
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    BEFORE BED
    Cottage Cheese 20 2 5 100
    Protein Shake 18 3 1 100
    1 tbsp PB 8 4 7 90

    TOTALS: P.425.1 C.335 F.79 Cals.3773

  8. #8
    fit4ever180's Avatar
    fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gym and the Kitchen
    Posts
    684
    Correct me if I'm wrong here chicken, but you are trying a lean bulk diet? If that's the case then your calories may still be too high for a lean bulk for a guy your size. You should probably drop about 100g of protein....


    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNKumara View Post
    Thanks a lot all, much appreciated once again.

    Side notes: 1) I will order some Power Butter, and 2) Out goes the milk, and in comes the water 3) No more evening kumara/sweet potato - time for some proper veggies.

    Below is how I see everything looking now, any other comments or feedback on this or the above?

    I see everything looking like this now:

    Protein Carbohydrates Fat Calories
    BREAKFAST
    Banana 1 23 0.3 90
    1 Cup oats 8 55 4 320
    2 Eggs, 7 Whites 36 10 10 250

    MORNING SNACK
    Tin Tuna 30 8 0 169
    Nuts 1oz/30g 9 6 20 245

    LUNCH
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400 you don't need 85g of protein... 50g would be adequate
    290g Kumara 6 60 0 290
    1 tbsp PB 8 4 7 90

    AFTERNOON TEA
    1 x Pita 10.1 38 4.2 250
    Cottage Cheese 6 1 2 48
    Tin Tuna 30 8 1 169

    PRE WORKOUT
    Protein shake 20 3.5 1.3 100
    Apple 1 19 0.2 72

    POST WORKOUT
    Protein Shake 40 6.5 3 170
    Dextrose 0 60 0 240

    DINNER
    300g Chicken 85 0 5 400same as above
    Vegetables 4 12 1 70
    Sauce 0 12 2 110

    BEFORE BED
    Cottage Cheese 20 2 5 100
    Protein Shake 18 3 1 100you don't need the protein shake here
    1 tbsp PB 8 4 7 90

    TOTALS: P.425.1 C.335 F.79 Cals.3773

  9. #9
    ChickenNKumara is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Yes, thats right - lean bulk.

    I have a pretty fast metabolism so normally need to eat a little bit more than most.. But I will take your suggestion on the chicken and drop back the amount per serving, I make the whole lot at dinner time and take second serving for lunch.. If anything this whole thing is going to make my shopping CHEAPER, great news.

    So that should leave me looking something like this:
    Protein 365 Carbs 335 Fats 75 Calories 3500

    Does that look more realistic for a lean bulk? I was sure I had worked out my maintenance calories was around 3300 based on various formulas around this site.. Any thoughts on that? Is 200 cals p/d enough extra?

    Though thats 1,400 per week right so it all adds up?

  10. #10
    fit4ever180's Avatar
    fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gym and the Kitchen
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNKumara View Post
    Yes, thats right - lean bulk.

    I have a pretty fast metabolism so normally need to eat a little bit more than most.. But I will take your suggestion on the chicken and drop back the amount per serving, I make the whole lot at dinner time and take second serving for lunch.. If anything this whole thing is going to make my shopping CHEAPER, great news.

    So that should leave me looking something like this:
    Protein 365 Carbs 335 Fats 75 Calories 3500

    Does that look more realistic for a lean bulk? I was sure I had worked out my maintenance calories was around 3300 based on various formulas around this site.. Any thoughts on that? Is 200 cals p/d enough extra?

    Though thats 1,400 per week right so it all adds up?
    I like those numbers, but again this just my opinion and you know your body better than anyone, so if you do need more calories then adjust... What formulas did you use to get your maintenance cals? I had them at just under 3000, but I did think that seemed a bit low for your size, so 3300 is probably closer... If you do feel you need cals, then I would increase your fats before anything else... 365g of protein should be enough (1.5g x 205= 307.5g, so you'd be getting 1.78g per pound of bodyweightat 365g per day)... If you are doing alot of cardio, you may have to increase your cals as well...
    Also, like you mentioned earlier, to bulk you have to accumulate fat, so in order to do an effective lean bulk your cals should just barely be over maintenance... The downside is most people do not gain as quickly as a full on bulk diet...

  11. #11
    ChickenNKumara is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    If you do feel you need cals, then I would increase your fats before anything else...
    Thats such a difficult thing to mentally stomach adding fats hahaaha, but I will see how I go and look at adding a bit more fat if I need more cals.

    Also, like you mentioned earlier, to bulk you have to accumulate fat, so in order to do an effective lean bulk your cals should just barely be over maintenance...
    Right, ok I haven't done a lean bulk before so not so sure as to how the cals should look. Its a bit different being so cautious of carbs.

    The downside is most people do not gain as quickly as a full on bulk diet...
    This is a bit disappointing, but just the way it is I guess.... especially with holidays just up around the corner!!

    Thanks again.

  12. #12
    fit4ever180's Avatar
    fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gym and the Kitchen
    Posts
    684
    Fats are GOOD and yours may be a bit low, so that's why I would increase them in your case before the other macros!!! Many of them taste great and the keep you satiated for a longer period than proteins or carbs... Unless you're getting for a competition bro, don't let your diet totally ruin the holidays... Just gorge yourself wisely and avoid all the pies, pastries, and booze and stick to the protein sources! Personally, I'm going nuts on the turkey tomorrow and when Christmas hits, the ham is all mine!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •