alzhimers is offline New Member

working out your food ratio??

i know this is might sound like a rookie question, but how do you work out your protein, carb, fat ratio!?

i know that im eating alot of protein, and a decent amount of carbs and some fat. but how do you work the ratio out?

also, im 5"11 - 160 lbs, and eating around 3500 - 4000 calories a day, what ratio is best suited for gaining mass?

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alzhimers View Post
    i know this is might sound like a rookie question, but how do you work out your protein, carb, fat ratio!?

i know that im eating alot of protein, and a decent amount of carbs and some fat. but how do you work the ratio out?

also, im 5"11 - 160 lbs, and eating around 3500 - 4000 calories a day, what ratio is best suited for gaining mass?
    You read labels and look at the amounts of each macro/cal per serving and do a little math... For bulking, my preference is 37/43/20 protein/carbs/fat...

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alzhimers View Post

Can I say too much...? Maybe yes...maybe not...

I am 6'3 241 and well bulking up on 3200 - 3400 cals with 50/40/10 prot/carb/fat ratios.

I don't go by calories... only by amounts in g.

So let's say right now I am for about 325-350g protein / 225-250g carbs / 25-50g fat.

Today I ate 306g protein, 237g carbs, 26g fat = 2762 calories. So my todays ratio was 51/39/10.

Some would argue saying not enough, some not.

The bottom line is... keep track of what you are doing every day.. summarize it after a while and see if it works.

No one will tell you what you should follow...only you will know that.

So I can say I am bulking well on 3200-3400 cals being 6'3 241. Someone wants to argue? Oh well

Looking at you being 160Lbs and loading 4000 calories, I think it is little too much... unless you are not a natural lifter.
    Last edited by UberSteroids; 11-24-2008 at 10:19 PM.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids View Post
    Can I say too much...? Maybe yes...maybe not...

I am 6'3 241 and well bulking up on 3200 - 3400 cals with 50/40/10 prot/carb/fat ratios.

I don't go by calories... only by amounts in g.

So let's say right now I am for about 325-350g protein / 225-250g carbs / 25-50g fat.

Today I ate 306g protein, 237g carbs, 26g fat = 2762 calories. So my todays ratio was 51/39/10.

Some would argue saying not enough, some not.

The bottom line is... keep track of what you are doing every day.. summarize it after a while and see if it works.

No one will tell you what you should follow...only you will know that.

So I can say I am bulking well on 3200-3400 cals being 6'3 241. Someone wants to argue? Oh well

Looking at you being 160Lbs and loading 4000 calories, I think it is little too much... unless you are not a natural lifter.
    Uber is right in saying that no one can tell you what will work for you... Everyone's different and we can only say what has worked well for us...

For example, my stats are 5'11'' 192 lbs. 9% BF and I can cut at 3200-3400 calories if I choose to do so, but to bulk I need to go up to about 3800-4000, so if you were to compare the two of us based on stats, you see a pretty big difference...

Judging by the fact that you're my height and eating that much, you must be an extreme ectomorph! I would say try the 3500, if you don't see a dfference after a couple weeks, bump it 4000, and so on until you do...

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    Uber is right in saying that no one can tell you what will work for you... Everyone's different and we can only say what has worked well for us...

For example, my stats are 5'11'' 192 lbs. 9% BF and I can cut at 3200-3400 calories if I choose to do so, but to bulk I need to go up to about 3800-4000, so if you were to compare the two of us based on stats, you see a pretty big difference...

Judging by the fact that you're my height and eating that much, you must be an extreme ectomorph! I would say try the 3500, if you don't see a dfference after a couple weeks, bump it 4000, and so on until you do...
    Well said.

See, fit4ever could be cutting on 3400 calories and bulk at 3800. If you look at it, seems as this is not a big of a difference in calories. Some people think that they need extreme extra amounts to bulk up. The trick about this is to find what is your maintenance calorie intake. Now, any additional calories/macros added from this point will be your "extra" intake that you can utilize as you want to. I am not saying that you wont bulk from just loading it big time straight from the start without knowing what you really need. Thing is, how much of that will go to waste and how much will be used to build the good mass.

Thread Information