justaguyinadaze is offline Junior Member

will you bulk up

if you dont consume as many calories are YOU need but still consume enough protein throughout the day?????

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You need carbs,fat and protein to bulk. If diet is off where do you think the muscle will come from?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    You need carbs,fat and protein to bulk. If diet is off where do you think the muscle will come from?
    agreed, there is a theory called the calorie postulate(if i remember the name correctly) which states that if you wish to gain weight you must take in more calories than you burn in a given period and if you wish to lose weight you have to expend more calories than you take in in a given period

not sure if my diet is off to be honest

weight 160lbs
    age 25
    height 5ft 9

average day.....

breakfast

cup of porridge oats
    banana
    bio yoghurt
    spoonful of peanut butter
    muesli bar
    egg white/milk protein shake

snack

tin of tuna with salad
    apple
    orange
    muesli bar

lunch

chicken breast
    150grams of cottage cheese
    salad

snack

pasta with sauce
    wholemeal bread

dinner

either spag bol, steak and vegetables, chicken salad etc etc.....
    yoghurt

evening snack

whey protein shake
    muesli bar
    apple
    chicken leg

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    We need the Marcros

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Also this needs to be moved to the Diet thread

yeah bro, if you can help us out by posting some of the info on it i'll be more than happy to critique it for you, until then i'll do a basic critique

Quote Originally Posted by tizza2k View Post
    not sure if my diet is off to be honest

weight 160lbs
    age 25
    height 5ft 9

average day.....

breakfast

cup of porridge oats
    banana
    bio yoghurt
    muesli bar
    egg white/milk protein shake
    cut out the bar and peanut butter
    add more egg whites, around 10-12 should do, just make sure you're getting 50-60g of protein per meal

snack

tin of tuna with salad
    apple
    orange
    muesli bar
    cut the fruit, use two tins of tuna with a salad and use olive oil dressing
    lunch

chicken breast
    150grams of cottage cheese
    salad
    2 chicken breasts and some red potatos, sweet potatos or brown rice
    snack

pasta with sauce
    wholemeal bread
    protein bro, make a really meaty sauce or throw some meat on the pasta, cut the peanut butter, i hope the pasta is wholewheat
    dinner

either spag bol, steak and vegetables, chicken salad etc etc.....
    yoghurt
    steak and veges sound good here
    evening snack

whey protein shake
    muesli bar
    apple
    chicken leg
    whey does nothing at night because it digests in 30-45 minutes, you need casein protein that longer lasting, cut out the apple and make this a protein/fat meal with peanut butter(or some nuts) and cottage cheese, chicken, or steak
    where is your workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    where is your workout?
    50/60grams of protein each meal?

thought ye body can only digest 30 every two hours?

workout...

monday- biceps (4 differenct exercises ), forearms (3 different exercises ), triceps (3 exercises ), dips, abs ( crunches, plank)

tuesday- rest

wednesday- incline bench, decline bench, bench press, dumb bell flys on flat bench, chest press, pec deck, cables, 20min interval treadmill.

thursday - rest

friday - pull ups, close hand pull ups, shoulder press, arm raises barbell front raise, side raise, quads, legs, abs

sat and sun - rest

ps please move this thread.

50/60grams of protein each meal?

Lol, naw bro, i haven't heard that one before

workout...
    i meant where in the day
    monday- biceps (4 differenct exercises ), forearms (3 different exercises ), triceps (3 exercises ), dips, abs ( crunches, plank)

tuesday- rest

wednesday- incline bench, decline bench, bench press, dumb bell flys on flat bench, chest press, pec deck, cables, 20min interval treadmill.

thursday - rest

friday - pull ups, close hand pull ups, shoulder press, arm raises barbell front raise, side raise, quads, legs, abs

sat and sun - rest
    bold

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If that were true the upper limit of what protein consumtion could be is 360g/day which is nothing.

bold
    i train usually just before lunch....

There are many who suggest your body can't digest and use more than 30 to 40 grams of protein at a time. I've not seen convincing research on it to say if that's true or not.

Personally, using a common sense approach, I think we need to consider a few things.

1. Think about what state your body is in. If your body needs the protein (like after workout), I think it will use and digest more of it if it's available. Your entire metabolism is accelerated after a workout and protein use in the body shoots up. If protein is just eaten during the day, smaller servings of around 40 grams may well be better.

2. It's better to have more than you need than not enough when you need it. After a workout, I take in about 60 grams of whey protein, simply because, even if my body can't use it all, I'd prefer to have a little bit more than not have enough, which would slow down recovery.

The same can certainly apply during the day. A little extra protein that your body burns up or excretes is not going to have any appreciable negative effects. But, not having protein available when your body needs it can slow and stop muscle growth.

3. Protein doesn't digest all at once, especially with meals. Think about it this way, your stomach doesn't process and send out everything it digests all at once. It works on some, then sends some on its way. This applies more to meals than protein drinks but the fact remains, your body doesn't digest a whole meal all at once. It digest a little at a time. Think of it like time-release vitamin - your body doesn't use the whole all at once but uses it over the course of the entire digestion process.

4. Different people can handle different doses of nutrients other than protein. Does it makes sense that a 250 lb bodybuilder can only digest the same amount of protein as a 110 lb woman at one time? Different metabolic systems require and can handle different dosages.

Bottom line: The limit of 30 to 40 grams of protein at once? It could be right, it could be wrong. Just make sure you're getting plenty if and when your body needs it.

i train usually just before lunch....

There are many who suggest your body can't digest and use more than 30 to 40 grams of protein at a time. I've not seen convincing research on it to say if that's true or not.
    i have
    Personally, using a common sense approach, I think we need to consider a few things.

1. Think about what state your body is in. If your body needs the protein (like after workout), I think it will use and digest more of it if it's available. Your entire metabolism is accelerated after a workout and protein use in the body shoots up. If protein is just eaten during the day, smaller servings of around 40 grams may well be better.

2. It's better to have more than you need than not enough when you need it. After a workout, I take in about 60 grams of whey protein, simply because, even if my body can't use it all, I'd prefer to have a little bit more than not have enough, which would slow down recovery.
    good point, that's why i was asking where your workout was during the day as you need to have PWO and PPWO supplementation
    The same can certainly apply during the day. A little extra protein that your body burns up or excretes is not going to have any appreciable negative effects. But, not having protein available when your body needs it can slow and stop muscle growth.

3. Protein doesn't digest all at oncedepends on the protein, especially with meals. Think about it this way, your stomach doesn't process and send out everything it digests all at once. It works on some, then sends some on its way. This applies more to meals than protein drinks but the fact remains, your body doesn't digest a whole meal all at once. It digest a little at a time. Think of it like time-release vitamin - your body doesn't use the whole all at once but uses it over the course of the entire digestion process.
    no offense meant bro but where are you going with this?
    4. Different people can handle different doses of nutrients other than protein. Does it makes sense that a 250 lb bodybuilder can only digest the same amount of protein as a 110 lb woman at one time? Different metabolic systems require and can handle different dosages.

Bottom line: The limit of 30 to 40 grams of protein at once? It could be right, it could be wrong. Just make sure you're getting plenty if and when your body needs it.
    were you arguing for a 30-40g protein limit?

no lol just showing u sumit i read... ive been advised in the past to only have 30g of protein in one sitting...

thats out the window now so am gunna take me top off, turn green nd start going wild on the protein.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    there is a limit but its much higher than that. and you are assuming all the protein gets digested at the same time, which isn't true either. you could still be digesting things from last meal when you start eating again.

phate you're right about the calories. ROUGHLY 500 more a day = 1 pound gain a week, and conversely, 500 less = 1 pound less. thats roughly correct. it is for losing fat atleast, gaining is similar

no lol just showing u sumit i read... ive been advised in the past to only have 30g of protein in one sitting...

thats out the window now so am gunna take me top off, turn green nd start going wild on the protein.
    you won't regret it, by your picture i would bet you are ectomorphic and have a hard time gaining weight, so EAT EAT EAT, then when you feel like you're going to throw up, stop being a pvssy and EAT MORE, LOLOL

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    you won't regret it, by your picture i would bet you are ectomorphic and have a hard time gaining weight, so EAT EAT EAT, then when you feel like you're going to throw up, stop being a pvssy and EAT MORE, LOLOL
    ditto!!! 50-60g of protein per meal is a solid amount to shoot for imo as well

sizerp is offline Banned

If you want to learn more about PWO Nutrition, this is a good informational thread with empirical data.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...74#post4262674

More is not always better. I've bulked from 165-185 in the past 3 months, lean muscle, and to be honest it's mostly because of the high carb intake/carb cycling. No doubt, I consume around 300g of protein a day, however clean healthy carbs (brown rice, sweet potato, oats) have gotten me where I want to be. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sizerp; 11-28-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Thread Information