BBall6 is offline Associate Member

Best thing to eat before playing basketball?

Trying to figure out a nice balance between quantity and time before going to the gym to keep from turning muscle into energy.

Currently I will take a scoop of whey and some type of carb (usually 1/4 - 1/2 cup oats) anywhere from 2 hrs to 45min prior to going to play ball. I always play in the evening too.

Given that I usually play nearly 2-3 hrs should I try and eat more earlier (2 hrs or so prior to playing) or a smaller amount right before I go. I can't eat a lot right before playing and still perform well with a bunch of food in my system.

And regardless of how much I eat, I will burn more calories (probably in the 2000-3000 cal range) than I eat so that is where my concern of burning muscle is coming from. Got to get the energy from somewhere right?

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    Drink a sports drink with carbs in it while playing if you're concerned about burning muscle. I usually just eat an apple before playing sports because I can't put too much in my stomach beforehand.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, an apple and some whey/protein before

and a Powerade during

water and whole meal after

BBall6 is offline Associate Member
    Thanks, sounds like I wasn't too far off, just not wanting to be more catabolic than necessary.

Thread Information