los951co is offline New Member

Right calculation for a cutting diet??

Am 5"8 215 with 13-15% bf, trying to lean out , should I calculate my calories based on say 12 calories per pound of my bofyweight ? Which comes out to bout 2580 calories ? Or the harris equation which puts me around 3210? Why is there a big difference? Thanks any input is helpful

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    I prefer the Harris Benedict Formula even though it does not consider lean muscle mass... It does allow you to specify your activity level, which is why your calories differ so much... The more active you are, the more you burn, so the more you need

Oh I see ! Thanks , so just subtract bout 500 cal an add some cardio to plan out my diet , also how should macros look like percentage wise hows 50p/30c/20f

Quote Originally Posted by los951co View Post
    Oh I see ! Thanks , so just subtract bout 500 cal an add some cardio to plan out my diet , also how should macros look like percentage wise hows 50p/30c/20f
    It's really a matter of preference... You know what your body will react too better than anyone... Personally I never go below maintenance to cut, but most like about 300-500, but I like my food. If you're looking for a purely cuttng diet, those macros aren't too bad... You could look into a keto diet as well...

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    yep, I use the harris benedict equation also when cutting. I usually go 500 calories below maintenance and try to burn an extra 500 in daily cardio. As long as your protein and fat intake is high enough, you should preserve most of the muscle.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Any formulas you run based off of bodyweight can be significantly flawed. The only true way to get a BMR is to input lean body mass.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    Any formulas you run based off of bodyweight can be significantly flawed. The only true way to get a BMR is to input lean body mass.
    True, if you have high bodyfat. I usually plug my lean body weight into the harris benedict equation when factoring my nutritional requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    True, if you have high bodyfat. I usually plug my lean body weight into the harris benedict equation when factoring my nutritional requirements.
    ditto

Ok thanks , I figured my lean body mass at 185 , by the Harris calculation it would put me at about 2970 calories now is that wat I should base my daily intake at or still sutract another 300-500 cals plus cardio ? Thanks for all the help an input guys

Everyone's body reacts differently, but most people do go under maintenance while trying to cut... I prefer to never go below maintenance and usually stay about 200 above while cutting... You will just have to see what works best for you...

Koo thanks for the advice

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    i have used the harris benedict formular for determining my calorie intake for both bulk and cut. how do i/what is the formular for calculating my lean body mass i am interested to see what sort of disparity there is in my calorie intake between calculations based on weight as opposed to LBM

Quote Originally Posted by NBRD1808 View Post
    i have used the harris benedict formular for determining my calorie intake for both bulk and cut. how do i/what is the formular for calculating my lean body mass i am interested to see what sort of disparity there is in my calorie intake between calculations based on weight as opposed to LBM
    Just test your bodyfat %. Calculate how many lbs of fat that is. Subtract that from your total bodyweight. Done

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    cheers thanks for the reply

Does any1 happen to know how many grams in a cup of broccolli?

Quote Originally Posted by los951co View Post
    Does any1 happen to know how many grams in a cup of broccolli?
    Is a cup one serving? If so it's 90 grams... 90 grams is one serving 31 calories, 3g protein and 6g carbs

Thread Information