BB2K is offline New Member

Dave Palumbos diet....

Anyone tried it? It worked VERY well for me, but the only thing that really sucked was the lowered energy levels... especially a week out from my contest, wow i was hurtin.

VeraDeMilo is offline Member
    Yeah, I actually love his diet. There are a ton of recent threads about it if you do a quick search in the diet forums. search "keto"

Daves diet did wonders for me. the only down side was it drained all my energy.

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    can you please give an example of what your typical diet looked like?

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2K View Post
    Daves diet did wonders for me. the only down side was it drained all my energy.
    Never got to the elusive keto state where you have energy?

Quote Originally Posted by suprman09 View Post
    can you please give an example of what your typical diet looked like?
    Sure:

M1
    5 whole o m e g a 3 eggs
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites

M2.. i mixed in egg whites international
    2 scoops whey protein (i used scivation)
    1 tbl natty PB.. smuckers organic
    (sludge)

M3
    6oz top sirloin or salmon
    36 Almonds

M4.. i mixed in egg whites international
    2 scoops whey protein (i used scivation)
    1 tbl natty PB.. smuckers organic
    (sludge)

M5
    6oz top sirloin, chicken breast or tilapia
    36 Almonds
    1 cup green veggies ( i ate baby leaf spinach)

M6
    Same as M1

Water was at 1 gallon a day, as contest got closer it was 2 gallons and dropped portions to 4oz

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Never got to the elusive keto state where you have energy?
    I had tons of energy and strength the entire time, until i cut my portions back to 4oz then i was hurtin. lol

It took about 14 or 15 days to get into ketosis, then the 1 cheat meal a week was a HUGE help.

BB2k, How long did you run this diet before your competition? Towards the end did you mix in anything that Dave suggests, like a 2nd cheat meal or an alternating "protein and leafy greens only" day with no fats?

Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    BB2k, How long did you run this diet before your competition? Towards the end did you mix in anything that Dave suggests, like a 2nd cheat meal or an alternating "protein and leafy greens only" day with no fats?
    I started with "The Cut Diet" Chuck Rudolf made. It was working but I really wanted to try Daves diet. I was on Daves for approx 10 weeks with only 2 cheat meals a week, then 1, then none. Keep in mind my "cheat day" was Texas Road House.. top sirloin with no seasoning and the texas fries with no salt and a salad. I tried the Protein / Veggies days but it was not enough food at all, i need the fat for energy bad. It does work for some but for me it caused my blood suger to get funky and i was always lightheaded. So i stuck to the protein / fat days and just trimmed cals back a tad.

metal80 is offline Junior Member
    I just started this keto yesterday. Im wondering if any of these things will effect my body from going into ketosis.

Lemon-to go on chicken or salmon
    Crystal light
    coffe
    5 Hour energy
    Multi-V
    OxyPowder-(colon cleanser) http://www.oxypowder.com/
    Paratrex- (flush out my system) http://www.ghchealth.com/paratrex.php

This is what my diet looks like.

MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy *****-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good *****-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the *****-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (*****-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

Quote Originally Posted by metal80 View Post
    I just started this keto yesterday. Im wondering if any of these things will effect my body from going into ketosis.

Lemon-to go on chicken or salmon
    Crystal light
    coffe
    5 Hour energy
    Multi-V
    OxyPowder-(colon cleanser) http://www.oxypowder.com/
    Paratrex- (flush out my system) http://www.ghchealth.com/paratrex.php

This is what my diet looks like.

MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy *****-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good *****-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the *****-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (*****-3) eggs and 4 extra whites
    The Diet is good. However if you really want to do the oxypowder colon cleanse, I would suggest doing it before you start the keto diet. It is recomended that you eat pleanty of whole wheat breads, pastas and brown rice, as well as an abundance of fruits and veggies during the cleanse. All those things will keep you out of ketosis

besides the Oxy-Powder and the Paradex will those other things keep me out of ketosis.

Nope, you should be good to go. (Just make sure you have the coffee black)

Thanks bro

You want to go into Ketosis with this diet. Not stay out of it.

A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath (sometimes causing a distinct breath odor).

If enough acetone is in our urine, it can be detected using a dipstick commonly called by the brand name Ketostix (though there are other brands, as well). Even though everyone is generating ketones continuously, this detection in the urine is what is commonly called "ketosis."

The higher the concentration of ketones in the urine, the more purple the sticks will turn. The Atkins Diet, in particular, advises people to monitor ketosis as an indication of fat burning. Other reduced carbohydrate diets don't pay much attention to this, or aren't low enough in carbs to make much of an impression on the sticks. (The latter type of diet is sometimes called a "nonketogenic" low-carb diet.)

Why do some people think ketosis is a bad thing? There is an assumption that if a body is burning a lot of fat for energy, it must not be getting "enough" glucose. However, there is no indication, from studying people on reduced carbohydrate diets, that this is the case (though there is usually a short period of adjustment -- less than a week, in most cases). Although it's true that our bodies can't break fat down into glucose (though, interestingly, they easily use glucose to make fat), our bodies can convert some of the protein we eat into glucose. Indeed, this works well for people who don't tolerate a lot of sugar, because this conversion happens slowly so it doesn't spike blood glucose.

Thanks for the info BB2K. Any idea on the macros?

The best place to get the details is on Daves site. (MD) My buddy MYTH is the brains of this diet, them man is a genius. i can provide a link if need be.

Yea if you dont mind can you post the link. Thanks.

Here is the link to the thread. It is 178 pages of all the info you can imagine. MYTH is the guru so read all his posts on it.

http://forums.m u s c u l a r d e v e l o p m e n t . c o m /showthread.php?t=36320

take out the spaces.

Its hard for me to eat 5 whole o m e g a 3 eggs plus 4 eggs whites. Is there anything i can subsitute for the yoke. 1st off they taste like shit to me and they are double the price of reg eggs. Couldnt I buy reg eggs and take an o m e g a supp. If so what do u suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by metal80 View Post
    Its hard for me to eat 5 whole o m e g a 3 eggs plus 4 eggs whites. Is there anything i can subsitute for the yoke. 1st off they taste like shit to me and they are double the price of reg eggs. Couldnt I buy reg eggs and take an o m e g a supp. If so what do u suggest?
    Yes that is fine. You don't have to have the o-mega 3 eggs at all. Dave just suggests them since they have healthy yokes. Technically in Dave's diet, all the meals are interchangeable. Just take a 1000-1200mg tablet of fish oil in the morning, one with lunch and one with dinner (If it's not a fish meal).

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    hey VeraDeMilo - due to omission of most dairy is it recommended to supplement with calcium & vit d supp on daves version of keto? just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    hey VeraDeMilo - due to omission of most dairy is it recommended to supplement with calcium & vit d supp on daves version of keto? just curious...
    I have never seen the need to. Nor have I seen or heard Dave ever mention the neccessity to supplement vitamine D or calcium on the diet. You should be getting more than enough calcium between your multi-vitamin, raw almonds and green leafy vegitables such as spinach.
    As for Vitamin D, it has always been my understanding that Vitamin D is manufactured by the body after being exposed to sunshine. Ten to fifteen minutes of good sunshine three times weekly is adequate to produce the body's requirement of vitamin D. This means that we don't need to obtain vitamin D from our diet unless we get very little sunlight. In which case the multi-vitamin can come in handy.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the quick reply bro....

RAILroad is offline Junior Member
    im cutting right now and have thought about this keto diet a few times. im mostly concerned with not rushing my cutting to not put my muscle at risk. which is hard to do unless you are not eating a sufficient amount of calories. but what is the normal time frame to run this keto diet. a couple weeks? a month? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RAILroad View Post
    im cutting right now and have thought about this keto diet a few times. im mostly concerned with not rushing my cutting to not put my muscle at risk. which is hard to do unless you are not eating a sufficient amount of calories. but what is the normal time frame to run this keto diet. a couple weeks? a month? thanks
    For optimal results, Dave suggests running this particular version for 12-16 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraDeMilo View Post
    For optimal results, Dave suggests running this particular version for 12-16 weeks.
    And you will love the results!

should i run what you guys were running shake with natty PB and and then your 6oz protein with nuts. this is very interesting. anywhere i can find sample diets of this....how much does strength and size usually sacrafice from this? any secrets to keep it minimal
    Last edited by RAILroad; 01-24-2009 at 04:01 PM.

should i run what you guys were running shake with natty PB and and then your 6oz protein with nuts. this is very interesting. anywhere i can find sample diets of this....how much does strength and size usually sacrafice from this? any secrets to keep it minimal
    do it slow. no rush. this diet works perfectly. The link to the MD site is above, they have many versions of it but really all are the same. Keep it simple and dont ever think it, the diet is beyond easy to do. hardest part is sticking it out.

for my nuts in those meals can i used regular shell peanuts? i love them...ha am thinking of starting this tomorrow...

Thread Information