AcePowerZ is offline Member

Sweet Potato Ranks Number One In Nutrition

Now I dont eat veggies or so i thought I am seariously eating the first ever sweet potato that I have ever had right now in my life... AND DAMN!!! ITS GOOD!!! So I decide to look up how good it is for you. Do you want to know what I found out? Check it then.

SWEET POTATO NUTRITION
    Sweet Potato Ranks Number One In Nutrition
    According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the single most important dietary change for most people, including children, would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes.

CSPI ranked the sweet potato number one in nutrition of all vegetables. With a score of 184, the sweet potato outscored the next highest vegetable by more than 100 points. Points were given for content of dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars and complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. Points were deducted for fat content (especially saturated fat), sodium, cholesterol, added refined sugars and caffeine. The higher the score, the more nutritious the food.

Sweet potato baked 184
    Potato, baked 83
    Spinach 76
    Kale 55
    Mixed Vegetables 52
    Broccoli 52
    Winter Squash, Baked 44
    Brussels Sprouts 37
    Cabbage, Raw 34
    Green Peas 33
    Carrot 30
    Okra 30
    Corn on the Cob 27
    Tomato 27
    Green Pepper 26
    Cauliflower 25
    Artichoke 24
    Romaine Lettuce 24

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington D.C. copyright 1992

The reasons the sweet potato took first place? Dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. The sweet potato received a score of 184; the vegetable ranked in second place was more than 100 points behind with a score of 83.

The numbers for the nutritional sweet potato speak for themselves: almost twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal. All these benefits with only about 130 to 160 calories!

Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
    (for one medium size sweet potato)
    Calories 130
    Fat 0.39 g
    Protein 2.15 g
    Net Carbs 31.56 g
    Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
    Calcium 28.6 mg
    Sodium 16.9 mg
    Potassium 265.2 mg
    Folate 18.2 mcg
    Vitamin C 29.51 mg
    Vitamin A 26081.9 IU
    Source: US Department of Agriculture

Among root vegetables, sweet potatoes offer the lowest glycemic index rating. That’s because the sweet potato digests slowly, causing a gradual rise in blood sugar so you feel satisfied longer. It’s time to move sweet potatoes to the "good" carb list. Many of the most popular diets these days have already.

SWEET POTATO NUTRITIONAL ASPECTS AND POPULAR DIETS

South Beach Diet
    For the nearly 12 million Americans counting carbohydrates as part of the Atkins or South Beach plans, the glycemic index plays a critical part in determining acceptable foods. The index ranks how quickly the body converts carbohydrates into sugar; the lower the glycemic index in a food, the less it will cause weight gain. Sweet potatoes rank significantly lower than white potatoes in the glycemic index, which explains why both carb-counting diets encourage substituting yams for Idaho potatoes. Sweet potatoes are introduced in the later phases of these diets as an acceptable food because they are nutrient-rich.

Atkins Diet
    The Atkins Diet recommends introducing 10 grams of carbs in Phase 3 of the diet plan. Sweet potatoes have 10 grams of carbohydrates for every 1/4 cup. Sweet potatoes are on the safe list as a great substitute for other starches such as rice, potatoes and corn.

Sugarbusters Diet
    The popular "Sugarbusters" diet that swept the nation is also a strong advocate of including sweet potatoes in a healthy diet. The Sugarbusters diet recommends sweet potatoes as a great substitute for other foods high in sugar and carbohydrates such as rice, pasta and corn.
    One of the Sugarbusters book's authors reports that the part of a carrot that's healthy is the beta carotene necessary for visual activity and needed for the retina that's found in the pigment, not the fleshy part of the carrot that's full of sugar. You can also get the beta carotene from sweet potatoes, which are not full of sugar.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    I love me some sweet taters. For breakfast sometimes I'll eat one with splenda and cinnamon it's delicious. Other than that I'll eat em plain or with some spray butter.

yeah this one im eating now is plain. I can only imagine the enhanced flavors! Score one for Veggies

NEOSUP is offline Associate Member
    the best is make some mashed sweet potato, little spray butter

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL I HATE sweet potatoes, but I still eat one every day because they are so good for you.

Sweet potato fries are pretty much their saving grace. (Thanks to StoneGRMI's blog)

ilovesus is offline Member
    Sweet Potato and a steak sound good right now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post
    LOL I HATE sweet potatoes, but I still eat one every day because they are so good for you.

Sweet potato fries are pretty much their saving grace. (Thanks to StoneGRMI's blog)
    They're delicious, aren't they? I haven't made them in a while because I've been too lazy but I might have to now!

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL Yah, i eat them probably 4-5 times a week. Sometimes I get lazy and just bake em but then I really gotta choke em down...

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Sweet potatoes are the cornerstone of my precontest diet as far as the starchy carb source goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger02 View Post

DO you fry them or bake them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AcePowerZ View Post
    DO you fry them or bake them?
    Check my blog recipes on the right. They're oven baked.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^ damn i bet the egg whites make them much better ive done without and i like them but i cant wait to try your recipe...good stuff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    ^^ damn i bet the egg whites make them much better ive done without and i like them but i cant wait to try your recipe...good stuff
    That's what gives them the crispy fried taste/look. It takes a little practice but you'll have it down in no time!

my Oven is broke right now. The only thing that works on the damn thing is the broiler. Ill have to think something up.

sizerp is offline Banned
    Ace - try eating 3-5 medium/large sweet potatoes a day, baked.. mashed.. boiled.. microwaved.. grilled. After a couple months you'll get really sick of them.

I used to have them as my major carb source for all my meals (bulking), and have to eat brown rice and oats for a while now.

Going to start incorporating @ least 1-2 a day again soon, along with red potatoes. Just a for-warning if you going to eat a lot of them, you'll get sick of them! Balance is key lol.

Bump it..

chubbsub is offline Junior Member
    -nm-
    Last edited by chubbsub; 09-26-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Cloe85 is offline Female Member
    I lost a lot of weight eating sweet potatoes.

I microwave them and usually eat them plain. On rare occasion I'll hit em with a little butter spray.

I never get sick of them... just sometimes get lazy or don't feel like waiting for them to cook then cool down to a luke warm.

Thinking I'm going to have some tomorrow (too late tonight)

I new they were good for you, but wow.

Thanks for the info.
    Chloe

Jon the Rooster is offline Junior Member
    I love em, taste like pumpkin pie!!

Bump the nutrition facts of Sweet Potatoes

japson is offline New Member
    I really love to eat sweet potatoes and I agree that sweet potato is rank number one in nutrition.....This can be helpful in losing weight
    and as I know this is so good to eat....

PK-V is offline Productive Member
    Had me some sweet potato fries the other day

NOM NOM NOM

Thread Information