jaz75 is offline New Member

Shift work and Meals

Hey sorry to keep flooding you guys with questions, I am just trying to get everything in check here.

I work shift work, 12 hour shifts to be exact, both days and nights. When I do my 7 nights, my eating schedule gets all screwed up. Trying to have breakfast at 4 in the afternoon is difficult and eating a chicken dinner at 3 am seems even harder. Does anyone else go through shift work like this? If so how do you adapt your meal plans?

What is the best meal in your opinion to have right before bed? (I don't have any casein)

Thank again
    jaz

dg101 is offline Junior Member
    Jaz,

I don't work shifts or anything, but i think you just need to get out of the mentality of "breakfast" and "dinner" foods. As long as the foods fit your macros (the right amount of calories, protein, carbs and fat) it doesn't really matter what the food is in terms of breakfast and dinner. I generally eat eggs in the morning, but often i will switch it and eat chicken, turkey, beef, etc.

Just cause a meal is considered breakfast or dinner doesn't mean that it must be ate at a certain time.

Also, if you dont have access to casein, i would recommend eating cottage cheese as it contains casein protein. Best of luck.

DG.

TheJuicer is offline Member
    I dont really have any advise but I do work shift work at a paper mill and let me tell you...eating some nights sucks...each week my diet changes....I eat what I can stomach.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i work nights bro and have been for 5 years now, i always eat breakfast when i wake up around 1700 then take enough food with me for 3 meals when i get home the next morn i usaully eat something like 1 helping cottage cheese, 1 tbls natural pb and drink a whey/casein mix.

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    I work 3pm to 2am. Last meal is at about 4:30 - 5am. Like it was said above, you just need to get into the habit of considering food nothing more than fuel for your body. We eat the things that we eat because they're the things that we know our bodies need and we eat them when we know our bodies need them. If that means you are eating eggs and oatmeal at 5pm and steak and a baked potato at 7am then so be it. Just make sure you work the meals in around both types of schedules you have and miss as few as possible and I'm sure you'll do just dandy.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by dg101 View Post
    Jaz,

I don't work shifts or anything, but i think you just need to get out of the mentality of "breakfast" and "dinner" foods. As long as the foods fit your macros (the right amount of calories, protein, carbs and fat) it doesn't really matter what the food is in terms of breakfast and dinner. I generally eat eggs in the morning, but often i will switch it and eat chicken, turkey, beef, etc.

Just cause a meal is considered breakfast or dinner doesn't mean that it must be ate at a certain time.

Also, if you dont have access to casein, i would recommend eating cottage cheese as it contains casein protein. Best of luck.

DG.

Very good advice, meals are simply 1-7, no such thing as breakfast, lunch or dinners.

Thread Information