Thread: Whey Protein

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member

Whey Protein

Elsewhere in this forum someone posted that whey protein drinks are normally only for post workout and should not be a staple in one's diet.

Can anyone explain or expand on this comment? I have not heard that it is strictly for post-workout. I agree that it would be more beneficial to actually get protein from food sources, but that is not always convenient for working people.

Just trying to do the right thing. Supplement manufacturers will surely not tell me not to use it at other times so I am leaning on the wisdom of this group.

thx

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    there are several reasons for this

1) whey protein is digested in around 45 minutes, so if you are eating every 2-3 hours, that leaves a large space where you body has no available amino acids since the shake is already been used

2) thermogenic value- different macros require different amounts of energy to be digested, protein require around 30% of the total calories to be converted to heat during digestion, carbs are around 20% and fat is around 3%

3) on the same note as above, liquids are much more easily digested than solids and thus don't help keep your metabolism in an excited state as well

4) meal foods contain phytonutrients and other essential vitamins and minerals which shakes and powders lack

there are more reasons but those are what i'm coming up with off the top of my head

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    there are several reasons for this

1) whey protein is digested in around 45 minutes, so if you are eating every 2-3 hours, that leaves a large space where you body has no available amino acids since the shake is already been used

2) thermogenic value- different macros require different amounts of energy to be digested, protein require around 30% of the total calories to be converted to heat during digestion, carbs are around 20% and fat is around 3%

3) on the same note as above, liquids are much more easily digested than solids and thus don't help keep your metabolism in an excited state as well

4) meal foods contain phytonutrients and other essential vitamins and minerals which shakes and powders lack

there are more reasons but those are what i'm coming up with off the top of my head

i think he just ended the thread, cut, check, print the gate lol

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilder1107 View Post
    i think he just ended the thread, cut, check, print the gate lol
    thanks bro

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to assume then that whey, while not perfect, is better than nothing for those times when I can't actually at a meal? Is there something else that would be better (MetRx or ??).

Quote Originally Posted by run_n_fool View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to assume then that whey, while not perfect, is better than nothing for those times when I can't actually at a meal? Is there something else that would be better (MetRx or ??).
    could you make a sweet potatos and whey shake?

Yes, that sounds do-able. I guess there is no reason other than just being busy that I couldn't do a real meal, but sometimes my work day is so full with meetings and people asking questions at my desk that if I barely have time to do my job, let alone read the emails that come in, and try to take in nutrition at the same time. In these cases, shakes are very convenient.

Other times, such as now, I seem to have very little going on and I am able to pursue other interests.

Yes, that sounds do-able. I guess there is no reason other than just being busy that I couldn't do a real meal, but sometimes my work day is so full with meetings and people asking questions at my desk that if I barely have time to do my job, let alone read the emails that come in, and try to take in nutrition at the same time. In these cases, shakes are very convenient.

Other times, such as now, I seem to have very little going on and I am able to pursue other interests.
    here is how i make a sweet potato shake, it's really easy and you can chill it or heat it to taste

sweet potato shake

Canned Sweet potatos(no skin, no added sugar, no salt, no preservatives)
    splenda
    pumpkin spice
    whey powder
    mootopia or soy milk

i heat a can(75-80g of carbs worth) in the micro for 4 minutes(after it's been transfered to a bowl)

after it's really hot i start whipping it with a fork and add the splenda, spice and milk until it's a good liquidy consistency

then i use a funnel and pour into a disposable plastic water bottle and take with me wherever

good warm drink in the winter

Thanks Phate. I love sweet potatoes so that actually sounds pretty good to me.

Do you use a full serving of whey and how much milk do you add?

Thanks Phate. I love sweet potatoes so that actually sounds pretty good to me.

Do you use a full serving of whey and how much milk do you add?
    i use it for PWO sometimes and yeah, i'll put 50-60g of whey in there

i mix it with milk in a bowl till it has a very thin texture so i can funnel it into a disposable plastic bottle, normally a cup or so

TheJuicer is offline Member
    I feel that a shake that contains a little of every protein is a bit slower to digest. I use Elite 12 hour.

Thread Information