bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member

Protein/calorie requirements just starting out

Here is the deal,been completely out of action for about 2 years and I am currently carrying about 25 lbs of straight fat that wasnt there before.I am 5'10 205lbs Right now,and used to be about 176- 180lbs when in shape.The question I have is initially will my body use up all that fat for energy/muscle building therefore lowering my protein requiremints until I hit a point where most of the fat is gone?If I eat a healthy diet otherwise do I really need to shove protein down in loads with all that fat sitting there waiting to be burned/used?

Also what about caloric intake..same premise.Will I need to just eat clean and not worry about hitting a certain number of calories every day in the building mass stage until that fat is all used up and gone or will I still need a lot of calories to grow?

Any help would be appreciated.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat, protein won't be burned before fat, carbs will, thats why people cut carbs to lose weight.

try out a diet or look at the cutting sticky, then post back exactly what you eat for the next day, or plan to start and stick with for a few months or more

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    ^^^Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight.

I would research calculating your BMR (google it) and eat 500 calories less + exercise. Every 3500 calories in deficit will net you 1lb of body weight.

Make sure you eat at least 1.5 grams protein per pound of lean body mass if you want to retain muscle.

Lastly cardio, cardio and more cardio.

sweeney todd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    ^^^Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight.

I would research calculating your BMR (google it) and eat 500 calories less + exercise. Every 3500 calories in deficit will net you 1lb of body weight.

Make sure you eat at least 1.5 grams protein per pound of lean body mass if you want to retain muscle.
    Lastly cardio, cardio and more cardio.
    this is the most overstated and misinformed topic on the net. a 200 pound person does not need 300 grams of protein a day to retain mass. maybe strain the shit out of their kidneys but not grow muscle.

protein should be distributed by kgs not lbs and power and strength athletes could easily retain and gain at 1.6 to 2.4 grams per kilogram. so a 200 pound person could easily retain mass and even grow with 145 to 220 grams of protein. at 200 pounds, im making better muscle gains/fat loss with 200 grams of protein than i did with the internet recommendations of 300. much better.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    i don't see how, because if you have 300g of protein from the same sources as you get your 200g, the extra would just be wasted and the gains were the same. but if you had 8 shakes a day to get up to 300g thats an entirely different argument.

i do agree that 1.5g/lb is a little steep, especially if you are cutting from a high weight, almost all your calories would be in protein. 1g/lb is probably better (same as 2.2g/kg)

Did anybody read the LEAN BODY MASS part?

This guy has prob 160lbs of lean mass. 240g protein not gonna hurt a guy that weighs 205...

sweeney todd is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Did anybody read the LEAN BODY MASS part?

This guy has prob 160lbs of lean mass. 240g protein not gonna hurt a guy that weighs 205...
    i did miss that.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the replies but I think the answers got a little off track as to what I was asking initially.I know how much and what to eat when I am in shape,thats not the issue.I am asking if all this dead weight is going to feed my muscles until it is burned off a couple months from now,lowering what protein I need until then when I have no more fat stored.

If you are eating 500 calories less than what your body requires to maintain your weight then yes you will be accessing the fat in your body until you get to the weight that you want.

Do you know your Total Daily Energy Expenditure for your current weight?

Thread Information