Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Is the amount of protein consumption overrated?

We all know that protein, or rather amino acids, are what is required to build muscle. The question I have is do you think the amount of protein that is recommended for muscle gains is too much?

Thinking about a natural bodybuilder, even 1.5grams per lb of body weight seems like overkill to me. Why do most people factor in their entire body weight? Fat does not need protein.

People complaining of excess gas, protein farts, etc... all seems to point at over consumption; the body can only assimilate so much. 1 gram per LEAN lb of body weight should be more than adequate IMO. Discuss.

Joker111086 is offline Associate Member
    i agree actually. so i just eat 1.5 per lean pound. im guestimating im around 16% body fat being 230lbs gives me lean muscle mass of 193. but what i dont understand is... 193lbs isnt all muscle its bone as well. so i dont understand why the body needs so much protein, so i try to consume around 200-250g protein a day

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker111086 View Post
    i agree actually. so i just eat 1.5 per lean pound. im guestimating im around 16% body fat being 230lbs gives me lean muscle mass of 193. but what i dont understand is... 193lbs isnt all muscle its bone as well. so i dont understand why the body needs so much protein, so i try to consume around 200-250g protein a day
    Exactly. I've been eating around 1g per lean lb lately. Sometimes less. Haven't noticed any change in size or strength, except I don't have nearly as much gas and look slightly leaner or less bloated in the mirror.

Joker111086 is offline Associate Member
    all protiens ahve fat in them, so the more protein u eat the more fat u eat, IMO i dont thiink my body uses all the protein i eat cuz when i do eat 300g protein + carbs and whatever fat is in the protein i feel so stuffed all the time. so i try to eat every 3 hours, or unless my stomache starts burning. i beleive every body is different and there is no set diet for everyone, just standard guidlines to help you along. trial and error is the best way to learn.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    for what its worth i read franco columbo's bodybuilding nutrition book and he says he never took in more than .5g/lb of body weight. He adjusted carb intake to bulk. Who knows? Id rather err on the side of too much (within reason of course) than too little....

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Hard to say but...

95% of the people out there that have physiques that I like have high protein diets and...

95% of the people that have physiques that I don't like have low protein diets...

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think like so many other topics that are diet related, and we all tend to do this, but we say that there is a right and a wrong way to do everything.
    Well to a point that's true, but everyone's body is different and responds differently to nutrition. I think that the best way to determine if something is benefitting you is first, make sure that your diet is the exact same day in and day out. Then make a single change. If you keep everything else the same you can determine by any different results you see, whether your change helped or harmed your progress, or if it did nothing at all. Consistency in dieting IMO is crutial to see the best gains possible.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^true ..it takes along time ...but once you find out what you respond to and how your body responds ...you are good to go for a long time. Well worth the time and trial and error to find that out. Good point re this topic...

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I tend to think about it from a different perspective. I have heard the argument a thousand times that "You dont need that much protein" when they hear I am over 350 grams per day. What I tell them is I DO NEED 3200 calories a day to hold me lean while working out and doing cardio and I have 3 choices to get them from. Now if I cut drop the protein to 175g a day that means I would need to get 2500 calories a day from carbs and fat. Figure that to be around 100g of fat an additional 400g of carbs per day which does not work for me when it comes to dropping bf.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree when trying to cut espeically protein is the best source of calories.

higherdesire is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I tend to think about it from a different perspective. I have heard the argument a thousand times that "You dont need that much protein" when they hear I am over 350 grams per day. What I tell them is I DO NEED 3200 calories a day to hold me lean while working out and doing cardio and I have 3 choices to get them from. Now if I cut drop the protein to 175g a day that means I would need to get 2500 calories a day from carbs and fat. Figure that to be around 100g of fat an additional 400g of carbs per day which does not work for me when it comes to dropping bf.
    very good post. THanks.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I like FireGuy's rationale the best. Whether one should take in high amounts of protein or not can be up for debate, but calorie requirements are usually pretty set in stone for a weight/activity level of a person. So, as fireguy states, if you need "X" calories to go about your day, where else do they come from?

Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader
    I've tried consuming 1 gram per lb and 2g per lb and haven't seen any change in growth. so i agree with Polska. 1g is enough. Plus you'll save plenty of money.

mousetraps is offline Member
    I've mostly stuck to 1g per lbs.... 200g of protein is enough for me.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Voland View Post
    I've tried consuming 1 gram per lb and 2g per lb and haven't seen any change in growth. so i agree with Polska. 1g is enough. Plus you'll save plenty of money.
    Try 1g per pound while trying to get to 5% bf and you will understand the point I was getting at. If I were trying to bulk I would lower my protein down a bit and add in carbs and fats.

Thread Information