Alphatier is offline Member

Carbs before bed?

I have a Q, on my carb up day,should by last meal also be carbs,or just protein or protein/fat?

I'm doing a 3-1 split
    Low:40-50g carbs
    High:250-300g carbs

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    i would keep the carbs and fats out of my last meal

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    i would keep the carbs and fats out of my last meal
    Do you keep fats out only on high carb days, or always? I've been on a low carb diet almost 2 weeks now and it's working pretty good. I didn't weigh myself yet, thou I'd rather go by looks and pants size etc. Anyways, that being said I always have fat in my last meal, but it doesn't seem to affect my fat loss?

well if the fats are efa's, im sure that would be okay..

i personaly stay away from carbs/fats in my last meal...

for example, my favorite bedtime meal is 1/2lb of london broil, 65g protien, 2g fat, 0 carbs.... add in some veggies so the damn thing actually moves through your intestine and your good to go

Probably is offline Junior Member
    idk .. i dont eat carbs before bed unless i come back from training late .. i just shove up some big amount of food and go to bed

Yes of course they're EFA's (Virgin Olive Oil, Almonds, Canola sometimes).

I'll just go with a protein meal on my High carb days for the last meal, and for low carb days i keep it the same as before.

Hmmmmm London Broil, i culd definately down that right now hahaha!
    Last edited by Alphatier; 04-02-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    i have my casein shake, scoop of natural pb and 9 grams of almonds as my last meall..try and keep it pro/healthy fats

ckyass is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lean n' mean View Post
    I have a Q, on my carb up day,should by last meal also be carbs,or just protein or protein/fat?

I'm doing a 3-1 split
    If it is a carb up day....why wouldnt you eat carbs in your last meal? Carbs in your last meal will not make you fat....taking in more calories then you have burned will add weight.....So if you split your carbs evenly throughout the day carbs before bed is fine. Considering you are eating at maintanence cals. What are your goals?

I am cutting right now, that's why I'm on a low carb diet. Dunno where I read it, but in an article I once saw that it's suggested NOT to have carbs with your last meal, thats why I was asking.

startch carbs late at night with no exercise or activity will sit in the stomach and turn into sugar then fat.. so i wuldnt recommend ANY startch carb or simple for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    startch carbs late at night with no exercise or activity will sit in the stomach and turn into sugar then fat.. so i wuldnt recommend ANY startch carb or simple for that matter
    x2

even on a bulking cycle, i would stay away from the carbs at night...

efa's at night on a bulking cycle isn't unheard of, since fat metabolizes diff then carbs

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    I would have to disagree with this.....if say you ate 4oz of sweet potato with everymeal 6x a day...and say 5oz of meat every meal and they added up to your maintenance caloric intake you would maintain your weight...you wouldnt gain fat because you included the 4oz of sweet potato in your last meal...infact im cutting right now and i'm down 6lbs already eating this way. Your body enjoys steady nutrition....plus i think to many people pile in the say peanut butter right before bed not realizing that those tsps of pb add up quickly when it comes to counting calories...I do agree some efa's before bed will help aid in a slower distribution of nutrients throughout the night BUT that is not what this topic is about.

I am cutting right now, that's why I'm on a low carb diet. Dunno where I read it, but in an article I once saw that it's suggested NOT to have carbs with your last meal, thats why I was asking.
    I suggest you read the thread Nark started here in the diet section...its worth the read.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    As long as you stay within your macros for the day, I don't think it will matter. When you incorporate anaerobic exercise your body becomes a furnace, it will burn no matter what you throw in it. As long as you're within your macros the body will metabolize and use that energy up.

That said I still don't like eating carbs late at night. Insulin spikes hinder GH release, so I'd rather not have much insulin around while I am sleeping. I try to moderate my carb intake around physical activity and taper it down towards the evening. FYI, I am referring to starchy carbs only. Fibrous carbs I take in all day long.

^^ good advice there...

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries

I'm doing a 3-1 split
    Firstly, your 'high' carb day... really isn't 'high'.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with carbs before bed.

I'm sure I've said this a number of times on my performance nutrition thread... as well as elsewhere.

-CNS

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I eat a can of tuna fish or egg white before bed. Going to bed hungry just sucks.

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    Firstly, your 'high' carb day... really isn't 'high'.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with carbs before bed.

I'm sure I've said this a number of times on my performance nutrition thread... as well as elsewhere.

-CNS
    Bingo!

Its all about spreading your marcos thoughout the day. Its crucial to get the optimal intake. I slightly alter my nutrient timing but its pretty much spead out over 6 meals.

its all preference.. obviously if your not going over your maintenance levels then your not going to gain. I take advantage of bulking my carbs pre workout and then PWO, but thats my preference...I maximize the carbs for energy for my workout. Unless im training early in the AM, i dont feel its necessary to have a carb meal before bed.

Thread Information