wukillabee is offline Senior Member

Trader Joe's, Whats Good???

Went there for the first time after the gym today reading up in this forum to pick up specialty goods. Got some ezekiel whole wheat bread, all natural wheat oats (big tube), 3 16oz greek style fat free plain yogurt, and some cinnamin for my sweet potatoes.
    I was so damn surprised to see how much protein is in this yogurt. Its 70mg sodium, forgot how many carbs maybe like 10, and 22g of protein per 8oz! Thats 44g of protein per container! Problem is, this stuff tastes hella nasty, super sour and kind of bitter! I tried putting in some of the natural oats i got and that seemed to help. Any other ideas to make this yogurt taste better and still be healthy of course? Also, what other goods are worth checking out from Trader Joe's? Thanks.
    Been spending most of my time on this site in of course all the aas sections, supplements, even training, and just now really started reading up in the diet. Ass backwards right? My diet is still good though and especially compared to most ive read on here but no where near perfect thats for sure. Hoping to learn a lot more from you guys in this section to really make these gains stick on pct and how to really get the results i need from future cycles. Cant believe u guys count all the macros, thats crazy. Id have a headache doin that!

Cheylayna1978 is offline Female Member
    Macros make all the difference in the world in constructing an effective nutritional protocol. It's not just overall calories, but rather WHAT those calories are comprised of. In addition, the strategic placement of those macros at certain times (one example is post-workout where the consumption of 2 of the 3 macros in a specialized ratio is VERY effective) is also very key in making a nutritional approach far more valuable in terms of worth/effectiveness.

Regarding the yogurt, plain is nasty I agree. Perhaps u can sweeten it with some packets of Splenda? Or you could use sugar free jelly and mix that in. I avoid dairy (except full fat cheese and mayo at times) when I am "dieting" due to the smooth look it tends to give most people, myself included from my experimentation.

Good luck 2 ya!

'Layna

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylayna1978 View Post
    Macros make all the difference in the world in constructing an effective nutritional protocol. It's not just overall calories, but rather WHAT those calories are comprised of. In addition, the strategic placement of those macros at certain times (one example is post-workout where the consumption of 2 of the 3 macros in a specialized ratio is VERY effective) is also very key in making a nutritional approach far more valuable in terms of worth/effectiveness.

Regarding the yogurt, plain is nasty I agree. Perhaps u can sweeten it with some packets of Splenda? Or you could use sugar free jelly and mix that in. I avoid dairy (except full fat cheese and mayo at times) when I am "dieting" due to the smooth look it tends to give most people, myself included from my experimentation.

Good luck 2 ya!

'Layna
    I imagine macros make a world of a difference when knowing gram for gram exactly what ur putting in ur body no doubt! Just saying thats a lot to do and crazy time consuming. Ill give it a try one day and see where im at. I go by more of what i eat and how i see it effects my body then by numbers/macros. Year around i never really have dairy, just a splash of 1% organic ***** milk for the oats in the morn and maybe a yogurt in the middle of the day with one of my meals or pwo, thats it. Hardly eat cheese anymore. Ill try the splenda idea since i already have some packets at home. Next time i go to trader joes ill see if they carry sugar free jelly, im sure that would make a world of a difference. Anything else to pick up or try out from Trader Joe's just in general? Thanks.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    damn layna is hott!!!!

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild28 View Post
    damn layna is hott!!!!
    as beautiful as she is, i dont think she's here to get hit on or picked up on/flirted with...

she's here to give sound advice, and she's doin a pretty good job of it guys.. so let's be a tad respectful..

the diet section needs a woman imo... it'll only attract more of the opposite sex and we welcome all....

i agree....

I look fat in that picture, uggh! It's the only one I have that's remotely decent though on this laptop as the albums of me and friends are on my P.C. that is still at my old residence. Haven't had time to go and pack it up and move it.

Thanks for the "hot" comment though. I think I look like a "hot mess", hahaha.

'Layna

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    as beautiful as she is, i dont think she's here to get hit on or picked up on/flirted with...

she's here to give sound advice, and she's doin a pretty good job of it guys.. so let's be a tad respectful..

the diet section needs a woman imo... it'll only attract more of the opposite sex and we welcome all....
    You are very nice and quite intuitive!
    I don't mind the "hot" comment, it's the pm's asking me to IM them and e-mail/call them that's really a turn off. All good, thanks for the protection Papi.

'Layna

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ hmm a few things come to mind...but ill kep mty sexist comments to myself!

.....Trader joes...almond butter and all natty peanut butter ... raw nuts as well ...

I look fat in that picture, uggh! It's the only one I have that's remotely decent though on this laptop as the albums of me and friends are on my P.C. that is still at my old residence. Haven't had time to go and pack it up and move it.

Thanks for the "hot" comment though. I think I look like a "hot mess", hahaha.

'Layna
    yes, i absolutly agree. u look like a blimp in that one.. lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    ^^^ hmm a few things come to mind...but ill kep mty sexist comments to myself!

.....Trader joes...almond butter and all natty peanut butter ... raw nuts as well ...
    Almond butter, that sounds yummy. Yeah, i saw a whole isle of just bagged raw nuts. Already get a bomb natty peanut butter with 1000mg *****s per 2 tbsp. Come on guys, this is about trader joes, geez. Start ur own "I Love Layna" thread. She does have a beautiful face though, haha had to say it. Back on topic now please. Any suggestions to cook with besides butter like when i cook my eggs and i use butter to smooth the pan. Im assuming thats a major sin here so whats the best choice?

dude.. check out the meats in trader joes.. they're all koser, if you can afford them..

You are very nice and quite intuitive!
    I don't mind the "hot" comment, it's the pm's asking me to IM them and e-mail/call them that's really a turn off. All good, thanks for the protection Papi.

'Layna
    yay, look at me.. lolol...

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by cheylayna1978 View Post
    you are very nice and quite intuitive!
    I don't mind the "hot" comment, it's the pm's asking me to im them and e-mail/call them that's really a turn off. all good, thanks for the protection papi.

'layna
    haha

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Welcome.

'Layna

dude.. check out the meats in trader joes.. they're all koser, if you can afford them..
    Thanks for the welcomes. Yeah, glanced at those prices real quick yikes! If i could afford those on a daily bases i could also probably afford a dietician! Oh, so when i need to butter the pan cooking eggs and such, whats the best choice to use besides regular butter or is that ok? Thanks.

Garbanzo Dude is offline Member
    Ok now that we all think "'Layna" is HOT lets get back to TJ's

I think just about everything is "good" there cause the go beyond the call and stock most foods that are free of pesticides, artificial colors and flavors and chemicals!! but my # 1 fav there is the buffalo patties LEAN MEAN PROTEIN!!! yUMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Dude View Post
    Ok now that we all think "'Layna" is HOT lets get back to TJ's

I think just about everything is "good" there cause the go beyond the call and stock most foods that are free of pesticides, artificial colors and flavors and chemicals!! but my # 1 fav there is the buffalo patties LEAN MEAN PROTEIN!!! yUMMY
    Those sound good. Havin a bbq soon for my bday at the pad, might pick some up! Can anyone help me with a simple question please?
    When i need to "grease" up the pan to cook eggs and such i usually just use a little butter. Is this ok or should i be using something else instead? Seems u guys recommend different kinds of oils so not sure what would work best for this? If this isn't a general question then specifically eggs what should i use since i make a lot of those daily. Thanks.

RAILroad is offline Junior Member
    whenever i coat a pan or anything as you are talkn bout i usually keep it simple with either olive oil or pam spray. seems to do the trick.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    The buffalo burgers they sell are great on the grill.

wow.. this should be obvious.. you should NEVER use butter to cook anything.. empty waistful calories... olive oil baby.. it's the miricle monosat... enjoy

Question

wow.. this should be obvious.. you should NEVER use butter to cook anything.. empty waistful calories... olive oil baby.. it's the miricle monosat... enjoy
    Haha, figured butter was the number one sin here. So when i make my mashed sweet potatoes what do i use instead? So olive oil for eggs in the pan, check. Now what for mashed sweet potatoes? My g/f i live with is full italian, try telling her never to use butter to cook anything! Trying to change myself before i can really change her. Got her to stop eating cereal before bed, thats good. Sorry for the rambling, can you help with the questions please?

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    try smart balance spray

Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
    Haha, figured butter was the number one sin here. So when i make my mashed sweet potatoes what do i use instead? So olive oil for eggs in the pan, check. Now what for mashed sweet potatoes? My g/f i live with is full italian, try telling her never to use butter to cook anything! Trying to change myself before i can really change her. Got her to stop eating cereal before bed, thats good. Sorry for the rambling, can you help with the questions please?
    from my understanding, heating up (cooking with olive oil), will take the "goodness" out of it

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    from my understanding, heating up (cooking with olive oil), will take the "goodness" out of it
    thats only true if you keep reusing the olive oil... it's hydroginize partialy, but that takes for ever.. this was my worry initialy too..

cant find the damn article on it, but take my word, stir fry away with olive oil.. you'll be fine..

good looks jam

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    good looks jam
    np bud....

Garbanzo Dude is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wukillabee View Post
    Those sound good. Havin a bbq soon for my bday at the pad, might pick some up! Can anyone help me with a simple question please?
    When i need to "grease" up the pan to cook eggs and such i usually just use a little butter. Is this ok or should i be using something else instead? Seems u guys recommend different kinds of oils so not sure what would work best for this? If this isn't a general question then specifically eggs what should i use since i make a lot of those daily. Thanks.
    yeah you'll love the buffalo.....as far eggs....I cook them quickly in EVVO (olive oil) or canola oil......just a few drops is all I need.....I have a good heavy and solid "Teflon" pan

Duke07 is offline New Member
    Take that greek yogurt and mix it with your sweet potatoes add some cinammon and splenda and with your mashed potatoes with salsa. I do it all the time good stuff.

Duke07 is offline New Member
    Take that greek yogurt and mix it with your sweet potatoes add some cinammon and splenda and with your mashed potatoes with salsa. I do it all the time good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke07 View Post
    So your saying when i make the mashed sweet potatoes just add the yogurt with some cinn and splenda? So the yogurt would take place of butter/milk to soften the potatoes right? My gurl makes the mashed sweet potatoes so im not sure how to make them. Im assuming this is what u would do?

sarika is offline Female Member

more ideas for your greek yogurt....

I buy the non fat greek yogurt too, but I actually like the sour taste. If you need to sweeten it up you can do the splenda/cinnamon combination. Or, Jello makes sugar-free single serving packets of both chocolate and vanilla pudding that are only 25/35 calories and mix well with the yogurt. You won't find those at TJ's but any major chain should have them.

As far as making the sweet potatoes, I would peel them, chop them up then steam them until soft and tender, then blend in the food processor until smooth. Now you have 2 options, you can mix with the yogurt and just eat up. Or, if you're a culinary genius like myself, I strongly recommend turning it into more of a casserole. To do this, add the yogurt to the mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl along with 1/2 cup of egg whites and some cinnamon. Depending on how strict you are, you can add a tsp of vanilla extract too if you'd like, there's 1g sugar/tsp. Anyway scrape your mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown... my oven has a mind of its own so I could be off with that estimate.

For a different direction with the yogurt, it tastes great with fresh dill and lemon juice cucumber. I mix that together and eat it on Ezekial toast with sprouts... all of which you can get at traders.

Oh and an amazing cheat meal is the yogurt with blueberries, pistachios, and some agave nectar, I actually had that when I was in Europe, it's to die for.

The yogurt isn't really all that bad, train your palette and you"ll learn to love it too.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    TJ's has the best price on eggs that i've seen, and pasteurized egg whites in the carton. The meat is generally expensive but they have 96% ground beef at a decent price.

Thread Information