Yung Wun is offline Member

what is a keto diet???

i heard so many times of this diet
    i'm assuming that this diet is a high protein low carb diet from what i been reading from other posts.
    is that just it high protein diet low carb high fat???
    and what is ketosis??
    i heard these terms being thrown around but dont know the meaning
    is this just a strict one path diet no zig zagging apporach??
    if someone could explain this to me it would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

bump

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I found this on the net

What is ketosis?
    Ketones are chemicals that your body produces as a by-product of combusting fat. You can buy "ketostix" ( here) which, when passed through urine, can tell you whether or not you are 'in ketosis'. Ketosis happens during fasting, low carbohydrate diets, pregnancy and it can be caused by diabetes. You use up your store of glycogen (blood sugar) and then your body permanently goes into fat burning mode to fuel your bodily functions. This change in metabolism occurs when the body no longer has incoming carbs to produce glycogen and after the liver has been depleted of stored glycogen. When either stored body fat or incoming dietary fat is used as fuel it breaks down into ketones.

Ketones can be used as fuel for your body or discarded via your breath or urination. It is the rise in ketone production that means you are in ketosis. Take note that although you are in ketosis this does not mean that you are *only* burning bodyfat. The released ketones may be from either bodyfat or dietary fat.

Why do we want to be in Ketsosis?: We want to be in a metabolic state where, without incoming carbs, and without consuming too many grams of dietary fat or protein, our bodies will be burning stored bodyfat as fuel. Positive side effects of being in ketosis are that it can be protein sparing (allowing us to retain lean body mass) and that it can lead to a decrease in appetite for some people.

NOTE: Ketosis is NOT ketoacidosis. There are two types of ketoacidosis: diabetic ketoacidosis (which is due to simultaneous rise in blood glucose and blood acidity) and alcoholic ketoacidosis (which is due to heavy alcohol consumption without food intake). If you do not fall into either of these groups your body should have the feedback loops that will keep ketone production in check. Ketones are produced daily by most people to some degree and are a part of the body's system of survival.

What are Ketostix ? measure the presence of ketones in the urine. It is important to remember that the sticks only tell you the level of ketones you are excreting through your urine. Readings can vary widely due to many factors: how many ketones are used for energy needs, how well hydrated you are (the more water taken in the more diluted the excretion), how much dietary fat is being burned, and the sensitivity of the ketostix themselves (they do not register low levels of ketone and they are very sensitive to contamination and age). The strips show the amount of ketones being release by the change of color on the testing area: light pink=trace and dark purple=heavy.

What are side effects of Ketosis?

Bad breath - which is due to ketones being released through your breath, drinking more water will lessen this effect. Some people also report that they get a metal taste in their mouth.

Strong urine odor - due to the presence of ketones.

Light headedness or "foggy" thinking. This does not occur in everyone and many who do feel this often are helped by making sure they are getting enough to eat, enough water and taking potassium supplements.

How long will it take me to reach ketosis? It is dependent upon a few factors. Since you start the production ketones after the liver has been depleted of stored glycogen, the amount of stored glycogen is the primary factor. How much glycogen your liver has stored depends on your very recent calorie intake and activity. If you have already been on a low calorie plan you may have a small amount stored. Depleting the amount of glycogen you do have is dependent upon how fast you body uses up that storage. Therefore you can hasten the depletion of you glycogen storage by being more active. The other factor in developing ketosis is the how much free fatty acids are available to burn.

thanks buddah

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Best explanation I have seen Buddah.

Lex Luthor is offline New Member
    hey guys im back home from college, its keto time, im just prepping my new daily plan

Thread Information