Little Herc is offline Associate Member

5000 calories really?

old school
    Last edited by Little Herc; 01-19-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Welcome.
    You will not need 5000 calories to grow at your present stats. You need to calculate your maintenance level, and go from there. someone who knows much more than I do about it will be along shortly to help...

brutesinme is offline Member
    use the calculators in the stickies at the top of the page to figure out your daily caloric needs. I'm guessing that'll be around 2500 ish for you. Add 500 or so, make sure you get quality protein every meal, good carbs and veggies. Don't overcomplicate things

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Here is a good start to begin calculating your intake

The Katch-McArdle formula calculates BMR based on lean body weight. So you will first need to obtain a ACCURATE body fat measurement

BMR: is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Then, using the BMR, TDEE is calculated using the activity multiplier:

TDEE: total daily energy expenditure
    Activity Multiplier:

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training)

Go w/ a 40/40/20 split on your protein/carbs/fats in the same order

Sample food sources
    Protein sources: egg whites, lean red meat, chicken, turkey, fish
    carbs: yams, oats, brown rice, pearled barely, ezekiel bread
    fats: fish oil, whole eggs, avocado,

don't forget to add in your fruits and veggies: I do a apple in the morning, bananas PWO, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms

Just a sample list there are many more choices so you don't get bored

Calculate the formula for yourself and try to design a diet, look through the example diets that are stickied

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    So you wanna learn how to Diet?
    watch these videos

then do the math...

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    jamy your percentage underneath your nick are not bad, but you forgot the sleeping bro.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    and to add, OP when youve done al that.

coe back with goals, current diet, with calories/macros/daily caloric intake and PROPOSED diet with same info. and well take it form there

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    So you wanna learn how to Diet?
    watch these videos

then do the math...

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

once you have that number, you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I'd still suggest the KatMc over the Harris Benedict formula as there are two different formulas for men and women. Also the formula will underestimate caloric needs for the extremely muscular (someone such as myself) and overestimate caloric needs for the extremely fat. This is the main benefit of the formula for those that are on one side or the other

The KatMc is considered the most accurate of all BMR estimates due the fact we base it around lean body mass and it applies to everyone the same

But I guess for someone like this man the difference in cals would be almost insignificant as he is of average weight and height.

I know jamyjamr this is your stomping ground just throwing in some things I've learned from some others that have shown me their extensive knowledge and would suggest the one I posted over the Harris.

Good luck guys......
    Last edited by Reed; 06-04-2009 at 11:43 PM.

get something dow for us, with the breakdown of macros and then we will go from there with some advice .

the best way to calculate BMR is by knowing how many calories expelled during activity and add to your BMR for maintanece. +/- roughly 500 cals daily to obtain goals

Little Herc is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for all the help guys. Some useful info here.

Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    jamy your percentage underneath your nick are not bad, but you forgot the sleeping bro.
    if i have to remind u to sleep a full nights rest, u shouldn't be body building in the first place..

plus i get away with sleeping only 4hrs a night 4 nights out of my week thx to the 24 hr shifts i work, and iv gotten pretty big.. i think that's genetics more then anything...

it's there more to remind people that it's not all about the gear.. there are things out there that are much much more important... it's for those n00bs looking for the easy way out on a "magic pill" trip....

it's there more to remind people that it's not all about the gear.. there are things out there that are much much more important... it's for those n00bs looking for the easy way out on a "magic pill" trip....
    lolol.. ive seen people take those percentages literally.. although there there to prove a point

oh yeah of course bro, i know its for the newbies....

Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    oh yeah of course bro, i know its for the newbies....

yea, but i wont deny sleep is very very important.. humm.. i wonder what percentage that would be??

40% sleep??? lol.. so hard to figure... they're all equally important, u cant grown without having all of those things, except the gear initially...

60% diet 15% training 20 % sleep 5% gear, lets go that.
    hehehe

Thread Information