xplicit is offline Member

How do i find out how many calories a day is right for me?

How do i figure this out, right now i feel im not eating nearly as much as i should be, because im constantly tired and burn out quickly. I am very active and i dont eat enough to be as active as i am but i dont know how much and what i should eat to give me enough strenght and energy.

Aslo I really dont know if l have enough fat in my diet. A high percent of fat for me a day is 10-15 percent, Is this a good or bad thing. I have a soft belly so i try not to eat any fat but i would figure you need some in your diet especially if i burn a lot of calories.

humpymuscle is offline Junior Member
    well i think a good rule is to eat around 15-17 times your bodyweight, so 210 pound guy eats around 3200 calories. (that is is you're NOT taking juice)
    if you dont have energy you may need more carbs: potatoes, pasta, etc.

if you're not sure about fat, take some refrigerated flax oil witha few of your protein shakes, maybe 3-5 teaspoons a day. That should be enough fat.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    hey humpy what if the 210lb guy is on juice what then?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    calidude-multiply your weight by about 15-17 like he said and then add about 500 to it. Honestly I can't find the formula to use, I saw on th web but can't find it.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    i got ahold of a pretty cool calorie calculator made by a bro on another board.. if ya want it shoot me a pm and i'll get it to ya

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Per lb body weight consume

Protein 1.5g
    Carbs 2g or 1.5 if cutting

so 200lb guy would consume 250g of protein = 1000cals and 400g of carbs = 1600 cals and approx 60g of fat = 540 = total cals = 3140cals

on juice eat as much as possible in my opinion. i eat around 1000 more calories than usual. better to have too much than too little, and i burn it off quick anyway.

Baldguy is offline New Member
    Credit for this goes to Leah Wynne:Use the following formula as a guideline for determining your daily caloric needs. There are more accurate formulas which take into consideration your bodyfat percentage, however I suspect that only a few actually know they're bf%this one will still give a good indication of your needs. Because it doesn't take into consideration bf% however, it will underestimate your needs if you are overly muscular (hmmm, I didn't know that was possible).

First you need to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) with the following equation. Your BMR is the total number of calories your body needs if you did nothing but lie in bed all day with no activity at all.

Men:
    BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women:
    BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

* Note: 1 inch = 2.54 cm and 1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

Example:

Male, 27, 180lbs, 5'11"
    66 + (13.7 x 81.81kg) + (5 x 180 cm) - (6.8 x 27 yrs) = 1903

So, in this example your BMR is 1903. Next you need to determine your total daily energy expenditure, which is a fancy way of saying what you need to maintain your weight. Multiply your BMR with the corresponding figure for your activity level.

Activity Multiplier

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job Or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Example:
    BMR = 1903, we'll use 1.725 for a very active individual.
    1903 x 1.725 = 3282

So, in this example you need 3282 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

Now that you know how to determine your maintenance needs, you can adjust your figures to reach certain goals. If you are looking to gain some weight (hopefully you want muscle) you would eat above your maintenance and if you were looking to lose fat, you'd eat below your maintenance. While everyone is different, a general guideline is to add or subtract 500 cals per day to/from your maintenance. Some may find that they need to adjust that figure. Be sure to monitor your gains though, if you increase your calories too fast, you will likely gain a lot of fat as opposed to muscle. Similarly, if you drop your cals too fast or too much, you will slow your metabolism down and it will take longer to lose fat.

Knowing your BMR and maintenance requirements is useless if you don't know how to use this information. First off, if you haven't been logging your meals, there's really no way to know for sure how many calories you've been consuming. You really should log your meals for at least a week before using this information. Secondly, the figures are general guidelines remember. If you've been maintaining your weight at say 2500 cals and you've worked your maintenance out to be 2200, I'd stick w/ the 2500 figure as that's what's been working for you.

Now, let's talk macronutrient breakdowns. You can manipulate your protein/carb/fat ratios to achieve different goals. For instance, when I cut for a competition, I usually drop my calorie intake and use a 50/30/20 p/c/f split. If I am just maintaining, I might use a 40/40/20 split. Whatever split you choose, make sure it works for you. If you're consistently lacking in energy you may need to increase your carb intake, that is assuming you are getting enough calories in the first place.

So what do all these breakdowns mean? Well, now that you've picked a macronutrient split, you can figure out how many grams of each you need. For our example, we'll use 3000 calories a day with a 30/50/20 breakdown.

Both protein and carbohydrates have four calories per gram while fat has nine calories per gram.

3000 x 30% = 900 calories from protein 900 / 4 calories per gram = 225 grams protein per day
    3000 x 50% = 1500 calories from carbs 1500 / 4 calories per gram = 375 grams carbs per day
    3000 x 20% = 600 calories from fat 600 / 9 calories per gram = 66 grams fat per day

Ok, so now you're armed with all the information necessary to keep your energy levels high, reach your goals and change your body composition if desired. Now I'm going to bring up a food log again. It may seem like a pain in the ass to write everything down, but think of it as an investment. Not only will you be able to reach your goals much faster than just winging it, but you will eventually get to the point where you know what and how much to eat without having to log at all.

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    good post. Very informative.

I could in no way keep up with my current diet without logging every single gram.

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    Damn good post Baldguy. I'm going to use this to make some adjustments on my diet.

Ouch math. Head hurts...

xplicit is offline Member
    What split do you want to use if you want to gain muscle?

Aslo when you say maintain do you mean gradually gain muscle and brun fat or just staying where you are no gain no loss??

nope is offline New Member
    I have a question about figuring out the BMR

In the part
    "Activity Multiplier

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job Or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)"

is there a more descriptive equation around? Something that possibly has a better "work" figure to plug in?

In my job (construction) i walk up and down stairs all day (approx up then down 30 flights a day) pull electrical cable from the red irons above or from the conduit in the ground, climb a ladder (5-7 steps) about 40 times a day, plus more

how do i figure this in?

how would my g/f figure in her's at her job (pharmacist)?

not counting the cardio at the gym, i think i burn a lot more then your average person. any way i can figure out how many i burn a day just from work?

Thread Information