View Poll Results: What is the most significant determinant of a person's weight?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • food consumption

5 38.46%
  • set point theory

1 7.69%
  • genetics

5 38.46%
  • size of fat cells

2 15.38%
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

What is the most significant determinant of a person's weight?

Easy but not obvious. I got this simple one wrong on a quiz.

WhackTheBid is offline Junior Member
    usual -I voted food- do we turn the computer upside down and look in the corner for the answer?????

WTB

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Whack yea I thought it was food consumption too but the answer is genetics. I still have trouble accepting it though. your my case in my point why I disagree. Great job on the transformation. Your hard work definally shows.
    Usualsuspect

Cubber is offline Junior Member

Food

I would say food. People who are overweight are always eating large portions of the wrong foods (deep fried and deserts).

I've had so many people say they don't understand why their diet doesn't work because all they eat are salads (with heaps of regular salad dressing on it)

Not to mention the fad and short term diets which never last, often resulting in a rebound to a heavier weight than before.

I believe that loosing weight demands a total change in eating habit.

mrdraco is offline Junior Member
    You get people who eat whatever they want and stay skinny and people who eat clean and gain bodyfat. Genetics is the primary factor, what one does with those genetics is powerful, but secondary.

Average

My vote is based on the average person. More often then not it's the food you eat. Sometimes genetics may play a larger role, but on the average not.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'll have to agree with genetics, point being a buddy of mine stands about 5'8" and makes Pee-Wee Herman look like Arnold. Anyway he eats and eats and eats, like he should plus some and can't gain a pound to save his life. Now me on the other hand stand 6'2" and if I just look at anything like a donut or pizza I put on about 10lbs. I have to eat real clean and do moderate cardio to keep from l;ooking like the goodyear blimp so yes genetics is the key.

Outshined is offline Junior Member
    I'm voting for food consumption. It's all about how much and what kinds of foods you are eating that determine the average person's weight. I don't agree that genetics is the answer. If a person with an average metabolism is obese, it is because of food, not because of his/her genetics. Unfortunately, I was cursed with a sluggish metabolism. This does not mean that my bodyweight is pre-determined. My bodyweight fluxuates because of the foods I choose to eat.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Thats what FAT PEOPLE SAY !!!!

I have never read about those in the concentration camps being obese... I guess when your not eating everyday your body cant get fat...

But thats just me !!!

markymark

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You say weight as a whole so I can go with genetics. Somotype's play a big role. Endomorphs and Mesomorphs will gain weight easier - while Ectomorphs will remain lean.

By "Set Point Theory" - are you referring to a bodyweight where your system has adjusted to? The idea that you have to let your body get accustomed to a new weight long enough or you will yo-yo right back...

I have read where you family history plays a big role in genetics too

If your family history stems from Africa you will be darker pigmented (AKA, black) and lean (Ectomorph) from evolution to deal with labor in the sun.

On the other side, Germans and Scandanavians evolved to be heavier boned (Meso and Endomorphs) and shift weight easier to adjust for harsh winters and then warm summers - fair skinned.

Asian's, can be seen much like African with less desert and labor in the Sun (Endomorphs and Ectomorphs) - many older Asian cultures think having a tan means you are blue-collar, or less important in society. And the thick eyelids from sandstorms

Just a crazy idea on genetics and evolution as related to bodytypes

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    now i definitely believe that genetics play a role. but, considering that america is so overweight in general as compared to the rest of the world I'd have to say food consumption is the primary factor. if it weren't then it would mean that we are somehow different genetically than the rest of the world. Looking at immigrants, usually they start to be overweight at 1st generation american and are fully U.S.-like fat by 2nd generation american. this tells me, that lifestyle plays the biggest role.

also consider this... if it were just genetics, then stomach reduction surgery wouldn't work, and the morbidly obese who do it are the most likely to be geneticallyt predisposed to gargantuaness. i bet everybody here has seen the before and after of this procedure. it works!! (by limiting protion size) also, 100 years ago, people were nowhere near as fat, and genetics don't change that fast.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    The reason we're alot fatter now a days compared to 100 years ago is ......convenience. back then you had to do alot of work to prepare a meal. My grandmother told me about how her grandmother would have to start about noon to have dinner ready around 5ish. Also you either walked, rode a horse or buggy back than to. Now you drive everywhere, pop something in the microwave or a fast food joint. Hell, with the invention of the remote control we probably gained 5-10 lbs over the years just from that. God knows how many calories i burned jumping up to change the channel for my parents every 10 minutes LOL! I believe genetics is primary and food consumption is close behind it though. Take two people, now feed them the same amount of food at each meal, and over a period of time one will either gain more weight or lose more weight than the other.....which has to do with genetics, not calorie intake.

Plus, in the 70's we went on this big kick where all the fats were removed from food and replaced with sugar - "LOW FAT (...high sugar)"... this caused the obesity problem to become worst and more cases of insulin resistance related obesity. The Zone is a good book on that issue.

When you lose weight from dieting (or stomach stapling), fat cells shrink - they don't go away. Liposuction surgery takes them out. But a are safer way to get rid of them is through exercise... actually burning them off.

But jobs and lifestyles are getting easier and unfotuanetly many people think it gives them more time to sit on their ass - when it should be more time for gettin yolked!

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmm seems like trick question to me, maybe im paranoid.

"What is the most significant determinant of a person's weight? "

If they are fat is the fat cells that are storing fat.
    If they are skinny about to die people, i would say it is their skeletol frame.
    If they are skinny about to die and do not have a skeleton i would say it was their skin.
    yada yada you get the picture. So to answer your question, i would have to say there are 2 variables.

1. Psychological (problems/wellness):these include feelings like depression, euphora, stress, feelings of discontent(depression) haha, personality etc...

2. physical surroundings. is Food plentyfull?

2 variables that can yield over a thousand reasons that could determine how big or small a persons weight is.

Here is example: If a person was genitically predisposed to being a fatass, his parents blame it on their parents and so forth. Dudes whole family is lazyasses, but this dude is like, "fuck no! Im not gonna be a lazy ass fucker. Im going to say, HELL NO FATFUCKER GO" anyway you get the picture. Ok this guys is a genetically predisposed fatfucker, but he is strong willed(psychological strength). This person fights off the fat with a stick and finally begins to prevail with bulging biceps that have actual definition. 2 yrs later dude is shredded to the bone.

Now you can say his genetics determined his weight. But that would be a lie. If it were only genetics dude would still be fatass.

You would have to say that it was his genetics, which led him to exercise the right of his strongwill to be shredded. So you then would have to say it was that persons brain that determined his weight.

Bty im high and have not clue about what im talking about right now

But that is mo

one last attempt

Ok. This is as complicated as it gets for me.

-if you don't eat you get skinny

-if you pig out you get fat

therefore, the primary factor in gaining weight is the food you eat

You are what you eat!!!!!!!!!!

chinups Guest
    MIRROR!

Yup your fat!

Thread Information