Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member

Oats can be boring, so does anyone make their own Muesli

Been thinking of making my own Muesli, just to sex up my oats of a morning as plain oats can be damn boring and uninspiring to eat.

I've found a few decent recipes which look pretty good, but some of them recommend adding Bran, Rye or Wheat Flakes to the oats. Is this beneficial in any way or is it negligible? A few have recommended adding flax seeds or pumpkin seeds and I definitely want to throw in some dried fruits.

Buying Muesli from the store is expensive hence why I want to make my own. Anyone make their own Muesli out of interest or any other interesting ways to make oats a more enjoyable experience?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    The best diets are usually the most boring. When contest dieting food is nothing more than fuel and I mentally turn my taste buds off.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    well like fireguy said the best diets are the most boring.
    If your contest dieting which i am assuming you are from fireguys comment, then no i do not suggest it and i would not add anything.

If you are bulking, then perhaps if you need it to improve flavour, you can if you like.

But personally i leave things how they are and i dont play or add anything to my food.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Could you post your recipe mate?

I'm always interested in stuff for the offseason.

As I no longer bulk or cut per se, my diet is a lot more varied.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    Could you post your recipe mate?

I'm always interested in stuff for the offseason.

As I no longer bulk or cut per se, my diet is a lot more varied.
    Congrats on the promotion Nark. Glad to see you are back where you belong.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Thanks FG
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's quite long, but these were some of the better recipes I found. There's a variety here as well depending on what you like/need. Im not in any sort of competition training like some of you beasts, but I am intending on bulking up as i've been out of action from the gym/diet for a few months and it's really getting to me and im getting tired of people telling me "oh have you given up the gym now". Cant wait to get back into this mentality again.

Four Grain Muesli Recipe

This Muesli recipe uses four grains as well as some dried fruit and nuts and seeds to make a very flavorful cereal.
    Ingredients

1 cup medium or thick rolled oats/oat flakes
    1 cup rolled rye flakes
    1 cup rolled triticale
    1 cup rolled wheat flakes
    1/2 cup dried dates
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or sliced/slivered almonds
    1/4 cup whole flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1/3 cup raisins
    Directions

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. Transfer to an airtight container. If storing for longer periods, consider keeping the cereal in the freezer or refrigerator.

Hot Muesli Instructions: Add 1/2 cup Muesli to 1/2 cup water, milk or soy milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. You can also microwave Muesli in a large bowl on high for 3-5 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Makes two servings.

Cold Muesli Instructions: Soak 1/4 cup Muesli in 1/2 cup yogurt, milk, soy milk or fruit juice for 5-10 minutes, or soak overnight. Makes 1 serving.

Cholesterol Buster Meusli Recipe

This recipe is inspired by Dr. David JA Jenkins’ Portfolio Diet approach to eating and provides three of the four cholesterol-lowering “superfoods” recommended by Jenkins as part of that diet plan: almonds, sticky fiber from oats and barley, and soy milk. If you want to include all four cholesterol-lowering foods in The Portfolio Diet, add a slice of whole-grain or sprouted grain toast with a plant-sterol-enriched spread like Benacol alongside the muesli.
    Ingredients

3 cups medium or thick rolled oats
    3 cups rolled barley flakes
    2 cups slivered almonds
    1/2 cup dried raisins
    1/2 cup dried prunes, chopped (dried plums)
    Directions

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. Transfer to an airtight container. If storing for longer periods, consider keeping the cereal in the freezer or refrigerator.

Serve either hot or cold, with soy milk and chopped fresh apple.

Hot Muesli Instructions: Add 1/2 cup Muesli to 1/2 cup water, milk or soy milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. You can also microwave Muesli in a large bowl on high for 3-5 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Makes two servings.

Cold Muesli Instructions: Soak 1/4 cup Muesli in 1/2 cup yogurt, milk, soy milk or fruit juice for 5-10 minutes, or soak overnight. Makes 1 serving

Tropical Meusli Recipe
    This version of Meusli takes you to the tropics thanks to a generous amount of coconut and tropical fruits like papaya and pineapple. We give it a little extra crunch with rich, buttery macadamia nuts.
    Ingredients

1 cup medium or thick rolled oats
    1 cup rolled rye flakes
    1 cup rolled wheat flakes
    1 cup shredded or flaked unsulphered, unsweetened organic coconut
    1/2 cup dried papaya
    1/2 cup dried pineapple
    1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
    Directions

Serve either hot or cold.

Cold Muesli Instructions: Soak 1/4 cup Muesli in 1/2 cup yogurt, milk, soy milk or fruit juice for 5-10 minutes, or soak overnight. Makes 1 serving.

Very Berry Meusli Recipe

If you’re a berry fan, this is the Meusli recipe for you. This one is heavy on antioxidant-rich berries, including cherries which can reduce inflammation, blueberries which pack one of the highest antioxidant punches in nature and tart cranberries that can help maintain urinary tract health. If you prefer fresh or frozen berries over dried, feel free to leave out the dried berries and just add in the fresh when you serve the cereal.
    Ingredients

2 cups medium or thick rolled oats
    1 cup rolled barley flakes
    1 cup rolled rye flakes
    1/2 cup dried cherries|
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup dried blueberries
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    Directions

Nut Lovers Meusli Recipe

Nuts, nuts and more nuts, this Meusli recipe for nut fanatics uses sliced almonds, pecans, walnuts and pistachios to give you a daily dose of healthy fats, *****-3 fatty acids and powerful antioxidants that can help you recover after a hard workout.
    Ingrediants

2 cups medium or thick rolled oats
    2 cups rolled barley flakes
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup shelled pistachios
    1 cup raisins
    Directions

Other Potential Muesli Ingredients

Muesli is an extremely versatile cereal, and there really is no right or wrong way to make it. The above recipes are simply suggestions to get you started. If you want to play around with other ingredients, here is a list of substitions you can play around with:

* Coconut
    * Apple
    * Dried Apple Chips
    * Fresh or frozen sliced peaches
    * Apricots - dried or fresh
    * Pineapple
    * Fresh Banana
    * Dried Banana Chips
    * Dried dates
    * Dried figs
    * Prunes (dried plums)
    * Orange or grapefruit slices or quarters
    * Karob or dark chocolate chips (go easy)
    * Almonds
    * Walnuts
    * Pecans
    * Filbers (Hazelnuts)
    * Macadamia Nuts
    * Brazil Nuts
    * Pistachios
    * Raw pumpkin seeds
    * Unsalted soy nuts
    * Sunflower Seeds
    * Flaxseeds or flax meal
    * Wheat germ
    * Oat bran
    * Cherries - Dried, fresh or frozen
    * Fresh melon balls or slices
    * Raspberries - fresh or frozen
    * Blackberries - fresh or frozen
    * Raisins
    * Currants
    * Dried or fresh mango

EDIT: Congrats on the promotion by the way NARK, and that back of yours is looking savage!
    Last edited by Flagg; 07-12-2009 at 07:01 PM.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    now i love my muesli, specially bircher muesli mmmm which means like cold muesli.
    where you mix your ingredients and add like cup water,skim milk and some yogurt if you like and you leave it overnight.

in morning you bake little rolled oats,crush some nuts and some sultanas, add on top to a serving.

its delicious oh yeah and some grated green apple on top mmmmmmm........

thanks flagg, those are very helpfull and it gives me a lot of variety.

where you find all these?/ is there more hehehe//

Thread Information