enigma10 is offline Member

Im packing on more fat than muscle when bulking

So in a nutshell ive been bulking and eating right but i coming from a body that was 320 pounds to 220 pounds and bulking up, my body retains fat quick and stores it, so when im seeing that i have to eat at least eat 3300 calories to maintain muscle growth it seems like i have to cut that down to half.

A friend told me to lower the amount of carbs i eat because i sit infront of a computer all day but protein it up as much as i want...which sounds right but my thing is i go to the gym at 6PM so when is a good time to consume carbs and what meals should have them?

also im thinking of taking Clen as im bulking bc my body goes crazy with the fat.

what do you guys think
    Thanks

manwitplans is offline Senior Member
    Carbs in breakfast, before and after training, if your carb sensitive, which it seems like you are.

@ 220 you'll need 3300 atleast.. I would need much more at that weight. Right around 4500-5000. But we are different.

I eat carbs in the AM, at lunch and after i work out but not to much afterwards because i don't need energy AFTER work outs, i eat pancakes or oatmeal with banana and blueberries, im changing what type of carbs i eat and im going to overwhelm my self with protein....so when i get hungry its chicken or steak with broccoli.

supragasm is offline Associate Member
    i think even a carb sensitive individual can get away with "fiborous" carbs all day long, and starchy carbs, am, pre/post workout

makod is offline Associate Member
    As said above keep carbs to breakfast, pre and post workout. Oats, brown rice, yams, etc

If you dont know why you need carbs PWO then you need to learn. During the day use fibrous vegetables. Lyle mcdonald explain why your body stores fat easily i think he called it partitioning. part of our body's evolution.

Have you got a diet set up? Have you watched milos sarcev's videos?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma10 View Post
    So in a nutshell ive been bulking and eating right but i coming from a body that was 320 pounds to 220 pounds and bulking up, my body retains fat quick and stores it, so when im seeing that i have to eat at least eat 3300 calories to maintain muscle growth it seems like i have to cut that down to half.

A friend told me to lower the amount of carbs i eat because i sit infront of a computer all day but protein it up as much as i want...which sounds right but my thing is i go to the gym at 6PM so when is a good time to consume carbs and what meals should have them?

also im thinking of taking Clen as im bulking bc my body goes crazy with the fat.
    what do you guys think
    Thanks
    That is almost always the case when people bulk and the best reason why not to.

Quote Originally Posted by makod View Post
    As said above keep carbs to breakfast, pre and post workout. Oats, brown rice, yams, etc

If you dont know why you need carbs PWO then you need to learn. During the day use fibrous vegetables. Lyle mcdonald explain why your body stores fat easily i think he called it partitioning. part of our body's evolution.

Have you got a diet set up? Have you watched milos sarcev's videos?
    My diet is straight froward, Oatmeal with splenda, banana, apple, @ tuna sandwich @ steak, brown rice, salad @ tuna sandwich @ apple @ steak and then workout, fat free yogurt after workout, then steak or chicken before bed ( 3 hours before bed.

makod is offline Associate Member
    thats not a diet. do you want to put together a diet?

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    i recommend you post up a detailed diet with macros so we can get to the bottom of the situation...

you also need your bmr/tdee

Quote Originally Posted by makod View Post
    thats not a diet. do you want to put together a diet?
    its way better than what i use to eat but yes comments welcomed on a new diet plan

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    i recommend you post up a detailed diet with macros so we can get to the bottom of the situation...

you also need your bmr/tdee
    bmr/tdee ? and how do i check my macros

thanks

Welcome to the diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

height
    bf
    goals.. be specific

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
    please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
    you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example:

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
    10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
    1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
    53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
    1g carb - 4cal
    1g fat - 9cal
    1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading)

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Once you have your TDEE, i need you to watch these videos

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

this video will give you a great idea as to what your diet should be looking like and the foods you should be eating..

it's also very informative as to how dieting works and what you need to be doing..

once you've aquired this vast knowledge and done what i'v asked of you, please post up a new diet for critiquing and finalization...
    please include macros and times just as before...

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

Quote Originally Posted by jamyjamjr View Post
    Welcome to the diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

age 27
    weight 250
    height 6'2"
    bf 18%
    goals.. be specific real simple i want to gain muscle, look like i have muscle and be strong and most importantly loose this stomach and see some abs.

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories) i did the math online and this is what it shows You have a BMR of 2379.7

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
    please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
    you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible INCLUDED IMAGES

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example:

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
    10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
    1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
    53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
    1g carb - 4cal
    1g fat - 9cal
    1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

I eat at 8:30 AM 3 eggs, i cup instant oatmeal and banna, coffie with splenda

10:00 - apple

12:00 - 2 strips of steak ( thin cut ) and 2 cups brown rice or macaroni

2:00 - banana, apple, coffee splenda

4:00 - tuna sandwich, banana apple

6:00 - train ( sometimes protein bar before )

8:00 - 8 OZ fat free yogurt

9:00 - 2 thin slices of steak, salad, 1 tea spoon ranch, half cup shredded cheese, and may bee apple

" i have a sweet tooth " sometimes ill eat sugar free ice cream
    also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading) mines high so im 6'2", BF is 18 and weigh 250 pounds

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

My TDEE im confused on slighly

Once you have your TDEE, i need you to watch these videos

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

this video will give you a great idea as to what your diet should be looking like and the foods you should be eating..

it's also very informative as to how dieting works and what you need to be doing..

once you've aquired this vast knowledge and done what i'v asked of you, please post up a new diet for critiquing and finalization...
    please include macros and times just as before...

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....
    please read within the quote, thanks ! also as a added note im in the gym 6days a week, cardio 4 days out of the week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Im packing on more fat than muscle when bulking-food.jpg   Im packing on more fat than muscle when bulking-food2.jpg  
    Last edited by enigma10; 08-07-2009 at 01:02 AM.

well, ur diet needs an overhaul..

watch the videos at the end of my sticky.. let's start with that...

dont use the internet bmr/tdee, use mine since u have an acurate bf..

iv explained in detail how to do it..

your tdee, based upon what your workout reg looks like should be about 1.65

so find your bmr and mulitply it by your tdee

looks like ill be doing some rework on my diet...any suggestions from what i already eat ?

Thread Information