Jack S is offline New Member

Least Filling High Carb Foods

Hey,

I am trying to add more carbs into my meal plan. I have 4 Pro/Carb meals in my day and I am trying to hit 400g Carbs total. The issue I am having is that it seems that once I hit 70g-100g carbs in a single meal I think I will be so full that I wont be able to eat ~2 hours later. Does anyone have any carb food suggestions that are not so filling?

I am on a Weight Gain / Bulking Diet so the food choice is flexible.

Thanks in advance!

--
    Jack

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Eat at least 6 meals with carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Eat at least 6 meals with carbs.
    I currently have an 8 meal a day program. 4 meals are Pro/Carb and the others are Pro/Fat.. So should the 4 Pro/Fat meals include say 20g Carbs each as well?..

--
    Jack

Yes.

Eating over 75grams of carbs in a single meal doesn't seem like a good idea anyways. I would spread your carbs evenly over every meal other than your prebed meal. No carbs there.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern;4805***
    Yes.

Eating over 75grams of carbs in a single meal doesn't seem like a good idea anyways. I would spread your carbs evenly over every meal other than your prebed meal. No carbs there.
    Ok. I was running with the idea that separation is key. Hence why I was putting so much in few meals. So I guess 4 Pro/Carb meals with 60g-75g Carbs each = 250g-300g and then spread the 100g-150g over 3 meals because no carbs before bed. Which would make my Pro/Fat meals include around 35g-50g of carbs each.

Do I have this correct?

Thanks,

Jack

Also I am still looking for suggestions for least filling high carb foods/meals.

Thanks,

Jack

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    If the goal is to add carbs I would add them into the 4 meals W/O carbs as opposed to going even higher on the pre-existing carb meals.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    If the goal is to add carbs I would add them into the 4 meals W/O carbs as opposed to going even higher on the pre-existing carb meals.
    I managed to hit the 400g Carbs mark. I made the non-carb meals with 25g-30g of Carbs each and the Pro/Carb meals with 60g-75g.

Do you have any recommendations for the least filling highest carb items? Just so I can have some variety on my plan?

Thanks,

Jack

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    why not have most meals pretty even with carbs, which are lower in gi so you dont get no insulin spikes and consume the fats with them??

except the last meal if you like reduce or no carb in that meal if you want too.

personally if i was bulking i would have them in most meals if not all, but the numbers would look better 70 - 80g look crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    why not have most meals pretty even with carbs, which are lower in gi so you dont get no insulin spikes and consume the fats with them??

except the last meal if you like reduce or no carb in that meal if you want too.

personally if i was bulking i would have them in most meals if not all, but the numbers would look better 70 - 80g look crazy to me.
    Well according to this thread which is supposed to be a guideline for people looking to bulk it says..

5. The separation of Carbs and Fats- This is a hotly debated issue, but again, in my opinion, an important aspect nonetheless. Remember that it is often when you eat items and with what you eat them that is more important than what you are eating. A mouthful, I know, but stay with me. Remember that when you take in certain carbs, you can spike your insulin levels. If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, you are allowing the basic laws of physiology to act out, and you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage. Separation is key. The sample diet will give a good example of how to separate them.

So that is why I have separated them so much.

--
    Jack

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack S View Post
    Well according to this thread which is supposed to be a guideline for people looking to bulk it says..

5. The separation of Carbs and Fats- This is a hotly debated issue, but again, in my opinion, an important aspect nonetheless. Remember that it is often when you eat items and with what you eat them that is more important than what you are eating. A mouthful, I know, but stay with me. Remember that when you take in certain carbs, you can spike your insulin levels. If you are taking in fats when your insulin has been spiked, you are allowing the basic laws of physiology to act out, and you allow for a higher propensity for fat storage. Separation is key. The sample diet will give a good example of how to separate them.

--
    Jack
    You have to expect fat gain when bulking, it's part of it.

Also, if you eat like 80-100g of carbs in 1 meal, you're body may not be able to metabolize all of it, and the extra will be stored as fat too.

I am for spreading out of macros. carbs in all 8 meals or, 6 at least.

--
    Jack
    obvouisly you did not read my post, it says consume low gi carbs so you dont get that insulin spike and then you can have your fats in same meal.

second of all that sticky is just a guideline when your bulking you are going put on some fat on you have no choice.

thirdly i have pro/carb/fat with most of meals and it works perfectly fine.

you do what you think works for you

I personally dont mind putting on a little fat so that really isnt the issue it is mainly just formatting my meal plan correctly so I am working toward my goals. I guess the issue with your last post is that I do not know what low gi carbs are or means. I will need to look into it to offer a better answer.

As of right now nothing beats 75g of carbs.. and the non carb meals include 25g-30g carbs.

My main carb foods are Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Bagels and one potato in the day.

Thanks for the input,

Jack

What is the Glycemic Index?
    Not all carbohydrate foods are created equal, in fact they behave quite differently in our bodies. The glycemic index or GI describes this difference by ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels. Choosing low GI carbs - the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels - is the secret to long-term health reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes and is the key to sustainable weight loss.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

What are the Benefits of the Glycemic Index?
    Eating a lot of high GI foods can be detrimental to your health because it pushes your body to extremes. This is especially true if you are overweight and sedentary. Switching to eating mainly low GI carbs that slowly trickle glucose into your blood stream keeps your energy levels balanced and means you will feel fuller for longer between meals.

◦Low GI diets help people lose and control weight
    ◦Low GI diets increase the body's sensitivity to insulin
    ◦Low GI carbs improve diabetes control
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce the risk of heart disease
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce blood cholesterol levels
    ◦Low GI carbs can help you manage the symptoms of PCOS
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce hunger and keep you fuller for longer
    ◦Low GI carbs prolong physical endurance
    ◦High GI carbs help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise (even thought i still personally use low gi foods after exercise, i just feel works very well for me)

HIGH GI
    70 and above

MEDIUM GI
    56 to 69

LOW GI
    55 and under

copied and pasted from the glycemix index website.......

Thank you for that. Very informative. So how do I know what the GI level is in my carbs?

--
    Jack

Klimax is offline Member
    Google glycemic index and you'll find the answer.
    I don't understand why 400g carb are a so important goal. How does your goal diet look like?
    Low gi carbs fills more than other carbs, cause blood glucose remains constant in the time and often low gi food contains fibres. If you have to eat something just (b)eat it. None has said that bulking is so easy.
    (even thought i still personally use low gi foods after exercise, i just feel works very well for me)
    I agree with that. Alot of people who train 45min think that their glycogen reserves are fully depleted. If i had to take high gi carbs, i would choose the morning.

Heres my meal plan..

Stats:
    6'3"
    145lbs

Looking to hit at least 165lbs by January 1st shooting for 170+ lbs.

• 400g Protein / 400g Carbs / 150g Fats
    • 4000+ Calories Daily / 8 = 500-600 Calories per Meal
    • 424g Protein / 397g Carbs / 151g Fat / 4656 Calories

Supplements
    • Jack3d
    • Whey Protein
    • 100% Casein
    • Dextrose

Meal One: Protein/Carb
    • 8 Egg Whites (1 Cup)
    • 1 Scoop Casein Protein
    • 1 1/4 Cup Oatmeal
    • 1 Scoop Jack3d
    60g Protein / 75g Carbs / 9g Fat / 615 Calories

WORKOUT 1.5 Hours

Meal Two: PWO (15-30 minutes after GYM)
    • 2 Scoops Whey Protein
    • 80g-100g Dextrose
    • 1 Bagel with Cream Cheese
    58g Protein / 68g Carbs / 8g Fat / 646 Calories

Meal Three: PPWO (1.5-2 hours after PWO)
    • Chicken Breast (4oz)
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
    • 1/4 Cup Black Beans
    • 1 Plain Bagel
    56g Protein / 72g Carbs / 12g Fat / 665 Calories

Meal Four: Protein / Fat
    • Lean Ground Beef (5oz)
    • Swiss Cheese (2oz)
    • 1 Medium Potato
    • Small Portion Green Veggies
    45g Protein / 46g Carbs / 35g Fat / 584 Calories

Meal Five: Protein / Carbs
    • Chicken Breast (4oz)
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
    • 1/4 Cup Black Beans
    • 1 Plain Bagel

Meal Six: Protein / Fat
    • 2 Cans of Tuna
    • 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
    • (1/2 Cup Oatmeal with less than ½ Cup Milk)
    • Veggies
    31g Protein / 33g Carbs / 26g Fat / 490 Calories

Meal Seven: Protein / Fat
    • Lean Ground Beef (7oz)
    • 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter with Celery
    46g Protein / 10g Carbs / 46g Fat / 600 Calories

Meal Eight: Before Bed
    • 3 Scoops of Casein Protein
    • 1.5 Tbsp Flax Seed Oil
    72g Protein / 21g Carbs / 3g Fat / 390g Calories

There you go.. What do you think?

--
    Jack

Klimax is offline Member
    I think that with you're weights u don't need so much food, but i don't know your bf and tdee. I think you're taking too much pro and too less fat before going to bed. If you go to the toilet in the night u can move a scoop of casein there.
    I think that you could reduce the fats and the calories of the late meals and try to make carb/fat/pro meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    I think that with you're weights u don't need so much food, but i don't know your bf and tdee. I think you're taking too much pro and too less fat before going to bed. If you go to the toilet in the night u can move a scoop of casein there.
    I think that you could reduce the fats and the calories of the late meals and try to make carb/fat/pro meals.
    My bf is probably around 10% and my tdee is about 2800 including working out everything.

I have almost never wake up in the night to pee or anything. So that would be an alarm to set for the midnight shake.. which is already a consideration.

I will make some adjustments to be more carb/fat/pro.. should this be adjusted for the before bed meal only or last two?

--
    Jack

Klimax is offline Member
    If u don't wake up during the night, don't set the alarm. Sleep is also very important. Don't take carbs in the last two meals and try to set up a 3500kcal diet with 40 40 20 macros. You're eating too much.

I figured that if anything I can just make the portions smaller but just keep the components. I do notice the calories being to high but it seems the meals are realistic in size though. I was trying to hit 400g Protein / 400g Carbs / 150g Fats and doing that while keeping calories low is proving to be difficult.

--
    Jack

The source of the carbs in meal 7 is from the peanut butter which is actually 6g..

In the before bed casein shake the carbs are from the powder.. not sure how to eliminate those.. Thoughts?

--
    Jack

Klimax is offline Member
    A little amount of carbs doesn't matter.
    You have to drop your calories to 3500 kcal
    Try Pro 350g Carb 350g Fat 75g
    Fat must be not saturated; pro from milk, eggs, meat, whey, casein, fish; carbo with low gi.

I will work on dropping the calories. With 3500 calories I would be set to gain 1 pound per week. I am looking for minimum 20 pounds by January 1st which is about 19 weeks out.. so should I be shooting for 3750-4000 calories? That would be 1.5-2 pounds per week.

--
    Jack

Klimax is offline Member
    Start with 3500 kcal. Gaining weight, you'll need more calories. 1 pound/week is enough unless you aim to become more fatty than bulky (i assume u're not using gear).

The goal is bulking as well as weight gain. For now I dont mind being a little more on the fatty side.

--
    Jack

mrdude is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern;4805***
    Yes.

If you have worked out in the evening you should have carbs in that meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    A little amount of carbs doesn't matter.
    You have to drop your calories to 3500 kcal
    Try Pro 350g Carb 350g Fat 75g
    Fat must be not saturated; pro from milk, eggs, meat, whey, casein, fish; carbo with low gi.
    Hey you forgot turkey and chicken.

The source of the carbs in meal 7 is from the peanut butter which is actually 6g..

In the before bed casein shake the carbs are from the powder.. not sure how to eliminate those.. Thoughts?

--
    Jack
    That΄s so small amount of carbs so it΄s ok unless you gain tons of fat from eating a few grams of carbs LOL.

Heres my meal plan..

Stats:
    6'3"
    145lbs

Looking to hit at least 165lbs by January 1st shooting for 170+ lbs.

• 400g Protein / 400g Carbs / 150g Fats
    • 4000+ Calories Daily / 8 = 500-600 Calories per Meal
    • 424g Protein / 397g Carbs / 151g Fat / 4656 Calories

Supplements
    • Jack3d
    • Whey Protein
    • 100% Casein
    • Dextrose

Meal One: Protein/Carb
    • 8 Egg Whites (1 Cup)
    • 1 Scoop Casein Protein
    • 1 1/4 Cup Oatmeal
    • 1 Scoop Jack3d
    60g Protein / 75g Carbs / 9g Fat / 615 Calories

WORKOUT 1.5 Hours

Meal Two: PWO (15-30 minutes after GYM)
    • 2 Scoops Whey Protein
    • 80g-100g Dextrose
    • 1 Bagel with Cream Cheese
    58g Protein / 68g Carbs / 8g Fat / 646 Calories

Meal Three: PPWO (1.5-2 hours after PWO)
    • Chicken Breast (4oz)
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
    • 1/4 Cup Black Beans
    • 1 Plain Bagel

Meal Four: Protein / Fat
    • Lean Ground Beef (5oz)
    • Swiss Cheese (2oz)
    • 1 Medium Potato
    • Small Portion Green Veggies
    45g Protein / 46g Carbs / 35g Fat / 584 Calories

Meal Five: Protein / Carbs
    • Chicken Breast (4oz)
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Rice
    • 1/4 Cup Black Beans
    • 1 Plain Bagel

Meal Six: Protein / Fat
    • 2 Cans of Tuna
    • 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
    • (1/2 Cup Oatmeal with less than ½ Cup Milk)
    • Veggies
    31g Protein / 33g Carbs / 26g Fat / 490 Calories

Meal Seven: Protein / Fat
    • Lean Ground Beef (7oz)
    • 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter with Celery
    46g Protein / 10g Carbs / 46g Fat / 600 Calories

Meal Eight: Before Bed
    • 3 Scoops of Casein Protein
    • 1.5 Tbsp Flax Seed Oil
    72g Protein / 21g Carbs / 3g Fat / 390g Calories

There you go.. What do you think?

--
    Jack
    I would have the oil in meal seven and peanut butter in meal 8.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    I would have the oil in meal seven and peanut butter in meal 8.
    Ok. Why would that be better? Just curious.

--
    Jack

Hey you forgot turkey and chicken.
    I will add that to the list of options.

Thanks!

--
    Jack

Ok. Why would that be better? Just curious.

--
    Jack
    It just feels better to have oil with the greens and to have peanut butter or some nuts in the last meal. LOL I can΄t give a scientific explanation but from most diets I have seen they do that. Sometimes if you want you can change to have turkey, salmon or cottage cheese instead of shakes in your last meal or change some day the tuna and eat turkey or something. If it΄s something with about the same calories and proteins. I mean sometimes you can change it a little. It΄s not fun to always eat the same things everyday.

It just feels better to have oil with the greens and to have peanut butter or some nuts in the last meal. LOL I can΄t give a scientific explanation but from most diets I have seen they do that. Sometimes if you want you can change to have turkey, salmon or cottage cheese instead of shakes in your last meal or change some day the tuna and eat turkey or something. If it΄s something with about the same calories and proteins. I mean sometimes you can change it a little. It΄s not fun to always eat the same things everyday.
    hah ok. Well it's a painless change so I will swap it.

I will make a note about the turkey for an optional meal. I started making a list of optional meals that I could change if I wanted some variety.

Thanks for the input,

--
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by collar View Post
    What is the Glycemic Index?
    Not all carbohydrate foods are created equal, in fact they behave quite differently in our bodies. The glycemic index or GI describes this difference by ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels. Choosing low GI carbs - the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels - is the secret to long-term health reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes and is the key to sustainable weight loss.

What are the Benefits of the Glycemic Index?
    Eating a lot of high GI foods can be detrimental to your health because it pushes your body to extremes. This is especially true if you are overweight and sedentary. Switching to eating mainly low GI carbs that slowly trickle glucose into your blood stream keeps your energy levels balanced and means you will feel fuller for longer between meals.

◦Low GI diets help people lose and control weight
    ◦Low GI diets increase the body's sensitivity to insulin
    ◦Low GI carbs improve diabetes control
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce the risk of heart disease
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce blood cholesterol levels
    ◦Low GI carbs can help you manage the symptoms of PCOS
    ◦Low GI carbs reduce hunger and keep you fuller for longer
    ◦Low GI carbs prolong physical endurance
    ◦High GI carbs help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise (even thought i still personally use low gi foods after exercise, i just feel works very well for me)

HIGH GI
    70 and above

MEDIUM GI
    56 to 69

LOW GI
    55 and under

copied and pasted from the glycemix index website.......
    This info is useful if you are eating exactly 50grams of carbs in one serving. GI is only for 50grams of carbs. Glycemic Load is a better index.

Take watermelon for example. Very high GI but low GL... You would have to eat an entire watermelon to get to 50grams of carbs that the GI index uses where GL uses a practical serving size like a cup.

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    iv had phate talk about GL vs. GI and GL seems to be the winner in his head..

i personaly dont give a shit, i stick to the basics.. oats, yams, sweet potato etc..

Thread Information