idoitbecauseiloveit is offline New Member

Massive appetite wants lower BF% and better results.

I train atleast once per day, I'm 25, 5'10", 170lbs and my BF% is around 8%. My daily diet is below, but I want to know where I could improve to increase lean muscle whilst reducing body fat.

Average day

8am - I train weights 1hr first thing in the morning after a black coffee and do 20 minutes cardio afterwards.
    9.30am - Protein shake 50g + 100g muesli with skimmed milk
    12noon - 185g of tuna with balsamic vinegar
    2pm - 6 egg whites, boiled
    4pm - muesli with low fat natural yogurt
    6pm - weight training 1hr.
    7pm - protein shake 50g
    10pm - muesli with skimmed milk or yogurt
    12midnight-1am - bed.

Is there a way to change the above to build lean muscle and reduce BF% whilst keeping my energy high???

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by idoitbecauseiloveit View Post
    I train atleast once per day, I'm 25, 5'10", 170lbs and my BF% is around 8%. My daily diet is below, but I want to know where I could improve to increase lean muscle whilst reducing body fat.

Average day

8am - I train weights 1hr first thing in the morning after a black coffee and
    do 20 minutes cardio afterwards.
    SHOULD DO CARDIO HERE, NOT WEIGHT TRAIN.

9.30am - Protein shake 50g + 100g muesli with skimmed milk
    SHAKE, CEREAL, DAIRY

12noon - 185g of tuna with balsamic vinegar
    2pm - 6 egg whites, boiled
    ADD MAYBE CARBS OR FAT TO THIS MEAL, MAYBE MAKE IT WHOLE EGGS

4pm - muesli with low fat natural yogurt
    CEREAL, DAIRY

6pm - weight training 1hr.
    WEIGHT TRAIN AGAIN?

7pm - protein shake 50g
    SHAKE

10pm - muesli with skimmed milk or yogurt
    SHAKE AND DAIRY AGAIN

PUT FOOD HERE
    12midnight-1am - bed.

Is there a way to change the above to build lean muscle and reduce BF% whilst keeping my energy high???
    There is no diversity in your diet. fish, chicken, steak, more fish, evoo, o3, flax, efas, potatoes, veggies, rice, peanut butter, the list goes on...
    your diet has like three ingredients, I am willing to bet you under eat even more than you are stating. also if your bf is 8 then why do you want to cut? why not bulk - clean of course?

Blog Entries
    i would just do the cardio first thing in the morning like 30 to 45 mins, no weight training till you 6pm session. that way both forms of exersise gets your 100% effort. plus the gap allows you to recover between exercise sessions. im not going to critiqe the diet as there are peeps here beter qualified in that area that will help you.good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    There is no diversity in your diet. fish, chicken, steak, more fish, evoo, o3, flax, efas, potatoes, veggies, rice, peanut butter, the list goes on...
    your diet has like three ingredients, I am willing to bet you under eat even more than you are stating. also if your bf is 8 then why do you want to cut? why not bulk - clean of course?

Thanks for the response Twister.

This is just an example of one day of my diet. I can certainly eat more fish but every day I try to eat a good solid protein but vary it will either chicken, tuna or beef. I try to eat what I enjoy and not "fad" diet so its continuous and realistic to keep good form.

How much rice and potatoe should I eat and at what time during the day?

I want to get my BF% down to a target 5 or 6 and then bulk whilst keeping it. I have no intension of competing as a bodybuilder but would like to do fitness modelling.

I am taking orals and have asked for advice on a good cycle from that blog.

I am under eating at present because I'm living in Thailand for the next 6 months and because of the climate my appetite has relaxed a little but I do eat regulary and usually quite a lot in comparison to what I've seen is an average diet on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    i would just do the cardio first thing in the morning like 30 to 45 mins, no weight training till you 6pm session. that way both forms of exersise gets your 100% effort. plus the gap allows you to recover between exercise sessions. im not going to critiqe the diet as there are peeps here beter qualified in that area that will help you.good luck

Thank you.

I can certainly try this and I know its great to do cardio first thing, that was maybe what i was trying to achieve with a 20-30 minute session afterwards 3/4 times per week. The way I work my weights sessions I try to burn fat also, by having only 30-45 seconds maximum rest in between each set.

Would you eat or drink anything before? What is good to eat/ drink after a morning cardio session?

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    well, all this advice is good but only scratches the surface... how about you work through my sticky.. i know you've already given some info on it, but if you follow through we'll get you set up..

Welcome to the diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

height
    bf
    goals.. be specific

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
    please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of every meal and a daily total on the bottom
    you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example:

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
    10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
    1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
    53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
    1g carb - 4cal
    1g fat - 9cal
    1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading)

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Once you have your TDEE, i need you to watch these videos

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

So you wanna learn how to Diet?

this video will give you a great idea as to what your diet should be looking like and the foods you should be eating..

it's also very informative as to how dieting works and what you need to be doing..

once you've aquired this vast knowledge and done what i'v asked of you, please post up a new diet for critiquing and finalization...
    please include macros and times just as before...

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by idoitbecauseiloveit View Post
    Thank you.

I can certainly try this and I know its great to do cardio first thing, that was maybe what i was trying to achieve with a 20-30 minute session afterwards 3/4 times per week. The way I work my weights sessions I try to burn fat also, by having only 30-45 seconds maximum rest in between each set.

Would you eat or drink anything before? What is good to eat/ drink after a morning cardio session?
    Do the stuff Jamy asked for. but also you should post a pic and that will help people determine things better. it's hard to say cut or bulk or even go off of what calipers say. I posted a pic when calipers said I was about 6.5% and they told me cut, I am now in waaay better shape. I would get the diet straight, cut with cardio and bulk with your weight training. You can still keep a low bf and bulk at the same time. 5% is unreasonable btw. you do not want to be that low, you will feel like shit all the time. A pic would help and do Jamys sticky.

Thread Information