The Zodiac is offline New Member

Newbie cutting and need advice, please critiqie my diet and routine.

I am writing seeking advice and guidance. I am an intermediate level athlete with about 10 years experience on/off but it’s mostly been through trial and error. My current fitness goals include maintaining my current lean muscle mass and shedding off about 10-12 lbs of fat.

Currently I am 28 years old; I am 5’10’’ and weigh 205 lbs at 14% bodyfat (*.jpg attached) BMR = 2,090; TDEE = 3,525. My goal weight is 190 at 7-8% bodyfat.

I have spent a number of weeks doing research and have put together what I think is a very healthy diet which gives me approximately 3000 Calories ± 200, 120g Fat, 120g Carbohydrates, and 350g Protein. The diet is roughly as follows (Note – meat choices include Chicken/Turkey Breast, Lean Cuts of Beef, and Salmon or Tilapia. Meals vary from day to day to prevent boredom, two days out of the week I eat higher levels of Carbohydrate foods to keep my body guessing.):

Meal 1: 6 egg whites, ½ C Oatmeal, 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    Meal 2: 6 oz. Chicken Breast, 1 C Greens, 100g brown rice
    Meal 3: 6 oz. Chicken Breast, 1 C Greens, 100g brown rice, 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    Meal 4: 6 oz. Chicken Breast, 1 C Greens
    Meal 5: 6 oz. Salmon, 1 C Greens, 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
    Meal 6: 6 oz. Lean Beef, 1 C Greens
    Meal 7: 50g blended protein, 2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter

For supplements I take a multi-vitamin/mineral 2x daily, Fish Oils, BCAA and Glutamine pre and post workout, and drink at a minimum 1 gallon of H20/day.

My workout routine is roughly as follows:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, 45 min. Cardio
    Tuesday: Legs, Calves, Abs, 45 min. Cardio
    Wednesday: Back, Biceps, Traps, 45 min. Cardio
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, 45 min. Cardio
    Friday: Legs, Calves, Abs, 45 min. Cardio
    Saturday: Back, Biceps, Traps, 45 min. Cardio
    Sunday: Off

I complete all upper body movements 20+ reps for 8+ work sets and lower body movements 30+ reps for 8 work sets. Cardio includes Walking on Treadmill, highest incline @ ± 2.5 mph, jogging at ± 6.0 mph on Treadmill, or the Elliptical Trainer. (Note – I have a number of injuries from martial arts and from my time spent in the Marine Corps so I choose to not do low rep/heavy weight in most cases except for the occasional deadlift or squat; I am lucky to be blessed with muscles that grow even at very high repetitions.)

I have posted in "Workout Questions" as well since I am seeking so much info; any recommendations and input are appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting and need advice, please critiqie my diet and routine.-no-face.jpg  
    Last edited by The Zodiac; 09-23-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typo, general editing

jamyjamjr is offline Banned
    we need macros..

Macros - in the order of Cal/Fat/Carbs/Pro
    Meal 1:
    6 egg whites 150/0/0/30
    1/2 C Otameal 150/2/27/5
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil 125/14/0/0
    Meal2:
    6 oz. Chicken Breast 180/3/0/40
    1 Cup Greens 65/0/6/5
    105g Brown Rice 155/0/6/5
    Meal 3:
    1 Cup Greens 65/0/6/5
    105g Brown Rice 155/0/6/5
    Meal 4:
    1 Cup Greens 65/0/6/5
    Meal 5:
    1 Cup Greens 65/0/6/5
    Meal 6:
    6 oz. Lean Beef 370/18/0/48
    1 Cup Greens 65/0/6/5
    Meal 7:
    50g Protein Powder 210/1/0/50
    2 Tbsp. PB 210/16/6/8

daily totals??

is that 3000 caloreis there??

2,820/92/123/334; I make up the difference by snacking on almonds between meals on the days where I get less calories from eating mostly chicken. Cal/Fat/Pro are all a little higher on days when I throw in the fish or more beef and ends up about 3200/120/120/350.

looks solid...

wheres your workout in all this??

Cool, right now I am working as follows:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, 45 min. Cardio
    Tuesday: Legs, Calves, Abs, 45 min. Cardio
    Wednesday: Back, Biceps, Traps, 45 min. Cardio
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, 45 min. Cardio
    Friday: Legs, Calves, Abs, 45 min. Cardio
    Saturday: Back, Biceps, Traps, 45 min. Cardio
    Sunday: Off

I complete all upper body movements 20+ reps for 8+ work sets and lower body movements 30+ reps for 8 work sets. Cardio includes Walking on Treadmill, highest incline @ ± 2.5 mph, jogging at ± 6.0 mph on Treadmill, or the Elliptical Trainer. (Note – I have a number of injuries from martial arts and from my time spent in the Marine Corps so I choose to not do low rep/heavy weight in most cases except for the occasional deadlift or squat; I am lucky to be blessed with muscles that grow even at very high repetitions.)

Doing legs twice a week is really kicking my ass, the muscle soreness disappears by the time I need to lift them again but I am generally exhausted particularly the evening after legs. I think I may change it up to something like:

Mon: Chest/Biceps +45 min. Cardio
    Tues: Legs/Abs +45 min. Cardio
    Wed: Swim
    Thurs: Shoulders/Triceps +45 min. Cardio
    Friday: Back/Calves +45 min. Cardio
    Saturday: Run x60 min.
    Sunday:Off

My goal here is more speed, strengh, and agility than size; once I start getting in to really heavy weights I put on too much mass. I am regularly an avid martial artist so I like to keep the shape of a fighter. I am coming off of injury and preparing to start training hard again and I am almost there. My main goal is still to shed at a minimum 10 lbs of bodyfat. Suggestions?

thats great and all but i ment where in the day is it??

I ususally go a about 11:00 am between meals 2 and 3.

no shake pwo??

Nope, just a meal and my aminos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zodiac View Post
    Nope, just a meal and my aminos.
    im big on whole foods myself, but im gonna want you to do a small protien shake pwo... 30g is more then enough..

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the advice. How bout a low cal, low carb whey with water??

EvilDavies is offline New Member
    looks good, only thing i would say is that milos sarcev makes a good point in his nutritional video about becoming allergic to foods that you eat too much of, and about not getting enough sources of protein in your meals. why are you eating so much chicken? why not swap 2 or 3 servings for some turkey, cottage cheese and a fish source? i agree with jamy about PWO shake too!

Thanks EvilDavies, I have heard of that Sarcev point elsewhere and completely agree. I don't always each just chicken, that was just a sample day of many different combinations, I frequently eat turkey, fish, lean beef but tend to stay away from dairy products.

I do have a number of food allergies already that I have to tiptoe my diet around. I am plagued by Celiac's Disease so NO gluten; Tunafish and Clams/Oysters put me in to anaphylactic shock and I have some other bullshit called EE where I am sensitive with Beans (kidney, black, pinto) Cantelope, Kiwi, and a few other random foods that make my esophgus swell shut to the point where I can't swallow.

I'm having my PWO shake while I type.

Thanks for the input.

Thread Information