Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Body Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

Body Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women

This link was passed on to me by a friend. Lacking a mechanical tool, such as calipers, bod pod or other sophisicated devices, this alternative includes terminology and descriptions and I found the pics, especially of "real" people, to be extremely useful in estimating body fat %. Enjoy!!!

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/...age-men-women/

Body Fat Percentage Pictures Of Men & Women by Marc Perry, CSCS, CPT | September 24, 2012

Body fat percentage is thankfully gaining more popularity as an effective marker of overall health and fitness instead of the BMI Index.

While I’ve written extensively about body fat percentage in numerous articles including Ideal Body Fat Percentage Chart, 5 Ways to Measure Body Fat Percentage, and Ideal Body Weight Formula among many others, I’m hoping this article will help tie everything together by creating visual representations of what a given amount of body fat looks like for men and women.

I searched thousands of images in order to create this article. Most of the images I purchased from stock photography websites, but others are in the public domain (at least I hope). If one of these pictures is copyrighted, please let me know and I will list proper attributions, or replace it if need be.

Body Fat Percentage Basics
    To best understand the descriptions in this article and how the pictures were chosen, here are some basic body fat percentage terms and concepts that are helpful to learn:

Body Fat Percentage – is the amount of body fat (lb, or kg) divided by total body weight listed as a percentage. For example, a 180lb man with 30lb of body fat has a body fat percentage of 16% (30/180).

Body Fat Distribution – We all have different body fat distributions, or how fat is distributed across our body. For example, some women may have very little body fat on their abs, but a lot on their thighs and triceps, while others will have the opposite. Same thing goes with men, but most men carry fat in their stomachs. I tried my best to show pictures that highlighted the stomach region for men and the hips/thighs/stomach region for women.

Body Shape - Similar to body fat distribution is we all have different body shapes, so two different body shapes may have the same body fat percentage even if they don’t look like it. A classic example is a skinny runway model may have the same body fat percentage as a fit, athletic women.

Age – The pictures in this post assume ages of around 25-35 years old. Most body fat measurement devices will reflect higher body fat levels as the age increases. For example, a 20 year old man and a 50 year old man may have the same subcutaneous body fat measurement (fat under the skin), but the 20 year old may be 15% and the 50 year old will be at 20%. As we age, fat around the organs (visceral) and within muscle (intramuscular) tends to increase and most formulas take this into account.

Muscle Striations – As an individual becomes more defined, the actual muscle can be seen more clearly, which looks like thin rods, referred to as striations.

Vascularity – This is the appearance of veins in different areas of the body as body fat decreases.

Body Fat Pictures Of Men

Body Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women-body-fat-percentage-men-1.jpgBody Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women-body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Body Fat Picture Descriptions Of Men

Body Fat Percentage Men 3-4%
    Bodybuilders can drop as low as 3-4% body fat when preparing for bodybuilding competitions. This body fat level is characterized by extreme vascularity, so that veins are visible over just about every muscle in the body. There is clear separation between muscles, and striations visible on almost every muscle. The buttocks (I’ll spare you a back picture) even has striations, some vascularity, with little fat. If your buttocks doesn’t have any body fat, you’ve got VERY low body fat! Essential fat for a man is around 2%, which is the basic amount of fat a man needs for the body to function (fat protects internal organs in the chest and abdomen).

Body Fat Percentage Men 6-7%
    Approximately 6-7% body fat for a man is a bit less extreme than competition bodybuilders, but it’s still hovering at a level that is not sustainable for most men. Around this level, or slightly less, the face becomes gaunt, and your family starts worrying about you. This 6-7% body fat level, which is achieved by many male fitness models when doing photoshoots, is characterized by muscle definition in all muscles and clear vascularity in most muscles including arms, legs, and even abs. Vascularity over the abs muscle is a sign of very low body fat. Clear separation of muscles as well.

Body Fat Percentage Men 10-12%
    This is a sustainable level for most men where you should be able to see your abs, but they will likely not be as defined as a man in the 6-7% body fat range. This body fat range is the classic beach body look that most men want and many women love. While not very defined, there is separation between muscles, some muscle striations potentially in the shoulders, or arms, but striations are not showing on every muscle. Vascularity is typically limited to the arms, with a little possibly on the legs.

Body Fat Percentage Men 15%
    The 15% body fat level is usually within the “lean and fit” category in most body fat percentage charts. The outlines of muscle can be seen, but there is no clear separation between them. Vascularity is usually a bit more limited as are muscle striations, which are typically covered by a thin layer of fat. The overall shape is still there, which can create an aesthetic appearance despite less muscle definition.

Body Fat Percentage Men 20%
    Separation between muscles starts to blur, almost no vascularity, or striations can be seen, typically there is a small stomach pouch of fat, the look is “soft” but not very round. Most guys I come across in NYC are within the 20-25% body fat range. Other parts of the country, or world, that range may be skewed higher or lower. A 5’11”man who weighs 180lb and has 145lb of lean body mass (the average) will have 20% body fat.

Body Fat Percentage Men 25%
    There is little to no separation of muscles, no vascularity, or muscle striations, waist begins to increase quite substantially with a waist to hip ratio as high as 0.9 (waist circumference/hip circumference). So a 5’10” man may have a 36+ inch waist. This man may have a little neck fat, but may not look like he has 25% body fat in normal clothing. Over 25% body fat for a man is considered obese, and over a 40 inch waist is considered abdominal obesity.

Body Fat Percentage Men 30%
    There is more fat all around the body at the 30% level including waist, back, thighs, and calves. The waist looks larger relative to the hips, and the stomach will likely be protruding over the waist noticeably. There is no muscle separation.

Body Fat Percentage Men 35%
    As men get heavier and heavier gaining more fat, most of the fat is funneled right in the stomach. The 35% level is characterized by more significant protrusion of stomach fat over the waist. This is the beer gut kind of look. Waist circumferences can be 40+ inches for a man with 35% body fat.

Body Fat Percentage Men 40%
    Similar to the 35% level, even more fat accumulates in the stomach and waist region, so that waist sizes can approach 45 inches, or more. At this level, basic every day activities like walking up stairs, or bending over to pick something up becomes increasingly difficult. This body fat level is approaching morbidly obese, which is characterized by a BMI over 35. To put it in better perspective, a 5’11” man who weighs 270lb and has 160lb of lean body mass has 40% body fat.

Body Fat Pictures Of Women

Body Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women-body-fat-percentage-women-1.jpgBody Fat Percentage Pics of Men & Women-body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Body Fat Picture Descriptions Of Women

Body Fat Percentage Women 10-12%
    This is an extremely low body fat level typically attained by female bodybuilders. Essential fat for women is round 8-10% compared to 2% for men. Why the difference? Women have more fat in breast tissue and the area surrounding the uterus. This level of body fat is not considered safe, or healthy for women who will be unable to menstruate. Striations of muscle, separation between muscles, clear vascularity are all noticeable at this level. The women in the photo is likely at the higher end of the range at 12% body fat because she is not too vascular.

Body Fat Percentage Women 15-17%
    This is still considered a very low body fat for women, which is similar to the 6-7% body fat for range men. Many bikini and fitness models will reach this body fat level and some may not be able to menstruate. Muscle definition in the abs, legs, arms, and shoulders is apparent, there is some vascularity and some separation between muscles. Hips, buttocks, and thighs generally have a little less shape because of the low body fat.

Body Fat Percentage Women 20-22%
    This is body fat percentage is usually in the “fit” category of most body fat charts and is typical of many female athletes. Some definition in the abs is apparent, there is body fat on the arms and legs, but it’s not too pronounced. There is minimal, but some separation between muscles.

Body Fat Percentage Women 25%
    This is on the low end of what’s average for most women and is characterized by a shape that is neither too slim, nor overweight. Curves in the hips are usually more apparent along with more fat in the buttocks and thighs. A 5’4” women who weighs 130lb and has 97lb of lean body mass has 25% body fat.

Body Fat Percentage Women 30%
    While most men have fat funnel into their stomachs, as the body fat of most women (but certainly not all) increases, this fat tends to accumulate in the hips, buttocks, and thighs. At 30% body fat, the hips, thighs, and buttocks are more pronounced and round. This is considered the high end of average for women in many body fat charts.

Body Fat Percentage Women 35%
    The hips become even wider at this level of body fat and the face and neck will appear rounder and more full. Hip circumference can start approaching 40+ inches and waist circumference of 32+ inches. Some belly fat may start protruding over the waist as well.

Body Fat Percentage Women 40%
    The hips and thighs grow larger so that hip circumference can reach 42+ inches, waist of 35 inches, and thighs over 25 inches.

Body Fat Percentage Women 45%
    The skin may begin to lose its smooth appearance as more and more fat accumulates. Hip Circumference can may reach 45 inches+ and waist circumference 35+ inches. The hips may become noticeably wider than the shoulders.

Body Fat Percentage Women 50%
    The will likely look like it has dimples more fat accumulates. Hip Circumference can may reach 45+ inches and waist circumference 40+ inches and thighs above 30+ inches. The hips will likely be noticeably wider than the shoulders. To put it in better perspective, a 5’4” women who weighs 200lb and has 100lb of lean body mass has 50% body fat.

Given how confusing measuring body fat percentage can be, I hope seeing these body fat percentage pictures was helpful!
    LVCat, Igifuno, GAINZ4DAYZ and 3 others like this.

eazyduzit is offline Associate Member
    Great post Thanks for the info!

mrglorious is offline Junior Member
    Great info " thanks !

Pain is weakness leaving the body!

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Good post, pics look accurate.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    According to the charts, i like my women all the way up to 35%
    but not 10-12%

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    According to the charts, i like my women all the way up to 35%
    but not 10-12%
    Yeh I like 15-25, but 25 the best

Good info, saw this today of FB, we must follow the same ppl

Tx89 is offline Associate Member
    I think lazar posted it on fb today?

i saw the pics on fb today also....r u my fb friends....LOL!!!

(Cock-Diesel) is offline Junior Member
    Yupp. I saw these same exact pictures on Facebook as well

dieselheart is offline New Member
    awesome post. pics look accurate

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    This should be stickied lol it really is very cool and extremely useful

sw0llen is offline New Member
    Awesome post! This is very helpful & has help me get a bf% idea of myself... Thanks!

bigsiv is offline Productive Member
    Love that avi sw0llen that your GF

DanB is offline Banned
    great link, will help some of the newbies alot in Q&A when they are asked their bodyfat

DanB is offline Banned
    mabey this could be stickied in Q&A (more traffic) so that newbies will be able to give more accurate info when we try help them?

samatash is offline New Member
    Thanks for the effort!

I personally feel the best and strongest at 12-13%

DannC is offline New Member
    Great article but i also laught alot
    I was just wondering, the last woman, the one with 50%BF, how the hell did she had the nerve to pose like that or to wear bikini outfit.. )

she owned it!

Quote Originally Posted by DannC View Post
    Great article but i also laught alot
    I was just wondering, the last woman, the one with 50%BF, how the hell did she had the nerve to pose like that or to wear bikini outfit.. )

CookiesNCream is offline Female Member
    im currently sitting at 165 pounds and roughly 31% body fat ... is there any way to tell what my BF% will be by losing 30 pounds? It's so difficult to picture myself at 130 pounds as I've never been at that weight before, but i like to set goals so i'm not walking into things blind. and any recommendations s on how to get rid of the fat just below the belly button? thanks!

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Good stickie to have.

thai007goy is offline Junior Member
    Great stuff.

blake170 is offline New Member
    Thank you so much! Great post!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    This definitely should be a sticky.

Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blondee, if you want to lower your bf% then you need to concentrate on your bf%, not your weight. If you just loose weight you could be loosing muscle and therefore not changing your bf%.

kingshahin is offline New Member
    I honestly don't think those body fat ranges apply to everyone. For instance, genetically i carry alll of my viseral fat in my abdomen and chest. At 18 percent body fat i can see delt veins. I'm roughly 13% and have delt, quad, and bicep viens

75189 is offline New Member
    Great post!

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kingshahin View Post
    I honestly don't think those body fat ranges apply to everyone. For instance, genetically i carry alll of my viseral fat in my abdomen and chest. At 18 percent body fat i can see delt veins. I'm roughly 13% and have delt, quad, and bicep viens
    Pics or its not true.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingshahin View Post
    Research shows conclusively that genetics plays a large role in why some people store more fat in certain parts of the body regardless of whether they are overweight or not. I believe we have all seen some individuals who were noticeably overweight but who still had a pronounced a six pack, while others dieted down to single digit body fat percentages and could barely see their abs. Several studies have researched the genetic nature of such discrepancies in body fat storage.

Girlygymrat thank you for the thread. The pictures will help give generalized idea of what our BF is without a caliper.

Mikey “Pics or its not true”. Some of us for employment reasons can’t post our pictures on here. If it was discovered that we were interested in using gear or using gear our jobs would be in jeopardy; thanks to no tolerance policies.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn
    Girlygymrat thank you for the thread. The pictures will help give generalized idea of what our BF is without a caliper.
    Ahh. Your welcome. It was given to me and I just shared it

Romanbrand is offline New Member
    Thanks for posting this!

Dee3152 is offline New Member
    Thanks for the thread. Some motivation to get out of the 20%

venom_quad is offline New Member
    My BF % is good for now, but thanks anyway.

My_New_Life is offline New Member
    The woman at 25% is perfection

kuilontli is offline Junior Member
    Crap... I must be around 30%
    Time to do an actual diet...

PlainFlying is offline New Member
    Great post, thanks!

HulkSmash1 is offline New Member
    Informative post, thanks!!

Iron Mind is offline Junior Member
    Great information especially when the caliper (4 point) is giving very low levels of bf% that are not true.

It gives at least a better estimation than those calipers or electronical devices then..

Aleksandro is offline New Member
    My girlfriend is at 40% body fat.

Thanks for this epic thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information