Thread: Cutting

Wright2009 is offline New Member

Cutting

okay so about a year ago i was well into my weight training being as strong as i have ever been. had about 15%ish bf. I wasnt trying to put mass on as serious as i am now. I tried a month of bulking eating 4kcals a day etc. I then tried to cut but didnt know how to effectively so i did alot of cardio and starved myself. Then the summer comes and i put a hell of alot of fat on through the summer. So i read up and got a better understanding of the cut, so i cut my weight from 15 stone 5 to 13 stone 13. I want 1 last month of cutting and i have hit a spot where its hard to lose weight. so im wondering of my diets okay, i mean am i eating enough too much etc.
    on an average day:

morning :
    boal of oats and a protein shake

11am :
    2 cheese on toast

2pm:
    Potatoe/Rice with Chicken/Beef

6pm:
    chicken omlette

before bed:
    protein shake

any tips on this matter thanks

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    idk your stats but this is a really bad diet...
    You only have 2 real meals.

you need to post all of your stats and create a diet with things like carbs fats and protein from actual food. cheese on toast should be left for the 8 year olds. eat things like chicken

cubnlynx is offline Associate Member
    Don't worry these guys are gonna fix you up good your diet needs some work

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    yeah if you need examples of other peoples diets I have some to show.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright2009 View Post

morning :
    boal of oats and a protein shake - sub the shake w/ egg whites. Assuming you're eating 1/2 cup of oats, 8-10 whites will do.

11am :
    2 cheese on toast - God no. Make the toast with ezekiel or swedish grain bread and eat it with a can of tuna, drained, with some olive oil and lemon juice/spices. No cheese man, not for cutting.

2pm:
    Potatoe/Rice with Chicken/Beef -Needs to be sweet potato or starchy orange squash/root veg. White potatoes will ruin your cutting diet. Make sure you're eating a lean cut of beef or skinless chicken breast. You also need some veggies and healthy fats in your diet. Add a cup of steamed green veg w/ extra virgin olive oil, or even sautee in the oil

]4:00 PM - eat a meal!! similar to the 2 PM one

6pm:
    chicken omlette - I would not choose this meal. Chicken breast w/ some almonds or avocados or something. No carb, use only pro/fat meals late in the day

8:00 PM, unless you go to bed super early (before 10), eat another meal! Lean pro/fat - no carb

before bed:
    protein shake - Casein pro shake is good for this time because it digests slowly to nourish as you sleep. It is also a low cal/carb before bed meal of course

any tips on this matter thanks
    Obviously, we are missing a lot of info. I don't know when you train, thus can't tell you which meal should be replaced with a post-workout shake. I don't know what you know of diet as a whole (what are good fats/carbs to choose, etc) but it seems like not much, with all due respect. Just make the changes highlighted in bold and you've got yourself a pretty good cutting diet but you'll need to learn more. For example, what portion of cooked protein you can absorb in one sitting and what amount of fat to incorporate. These guys will help you more but at least now you see what a BB diet should look like.

thanks for the info people
    some more stats then:
    6 ft 1
    13 st 11 = 193 pounds?
    workout varys because im at college so a few days i go in the morning few times i go through mid day never usually late on.

lately ive been going gym 4/5 times a week 30 mins cardio then some weights.

i think i have lost alot of muscle mass so i dont think i was eating enough but its all a learning curve.
    i was just afraid of overeating and not making the deficit.

another whats the most accurate way to measuring your body fat because twice this week ive tested it monday i came in at 14st 5 15% bf = wrong
    then thursday i came in at 14 st 3 17% = super wrong

thanks again for the info

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you need a whole diet overhaul. 2 cheese on toast may be the worst meal you could ever have to try to build muscle. Let the guys that know there stuff set you straight

ahh okay, im at college so the canteen is pretty naff so i thought nice snack some protein and some fat but im having it in portion, thanks pal

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    A couple months ago when I was struggling to develop a real BB diet, a member posted this for me from a sticky on this forum. Just read it, then post up a new diet w/ macros based on the information and what's actually available to you. Make the diet realistic, one that you actually intend on following. Make sure to include when you would most likely train. I can then critique that one for you and fix it up. When there's a will, there's a way. Also, post a shirtless pic, so we can tell you what your bf% actually is, we'll be able to get pretty close.

Here it is. Use fitday or other online calc. for macros.

Welcome to the boards diet forum....

if you have not already done so, post up your stats

height
    bf
    goals.. be specific

please take the time to follow these directions, they will better prepair the both of us for the critique and tweaking of your diet..

you need to figure our your BMR (this is the basal metabolic rate of your body... which means if you were to do nothing all day, ur body would burn these many calories)

once u'v figured out your BMR, u need your TDEE (this is your total daily energy expenditure, it's based upon your activity level)

But first things first, please post up your current diet.. you have to be brutally honest about what you've been eating on average for the last few weeks so i know where your metabolism is at..
    please include macros

MACROS = pro/fat/cal/carb of everya meal and a daily total on the bottom
    you can use fitday . com to help you our with this... be as detailed and specific as possible

please include the time of when u eat and the time of your workout

example:

6am pro/carb/fat/cal
    10 egg whites 50/0/0/200
    1/2 cup oats- 3/50/2/218
    53/50/2/418

REMEMBER

1g protien - 4cal
    1g carb - 4cal
    1g fat - 9cal
    1g alcohol - 8cal (some would argue 7)

also tell me what your workout reg is...

BMR formula #1 (if you bf is high, use this one... you need an accurate bf reading)

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

in order to figure out your bmr, you need to know what your lean body mass is.. so, in turn, u need to know what your body fat percentage is...

if you dont know your bodyfat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please dont use electronic scales to get your bf checked, they're horrible)

if you cannot find a gym to get tested at, please post up a picture for estimates, we're pretty good at it (you also have the option of pming it to me if you have more then 25 posts)

Total weight x bf in decimel form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

if your total lean body mass is in lbs, u can divide it by 2.2 to get it in kilograms..

for example..

i am 6'4 275lbs at 14% bf... so i would multiply 275 by .14 (converted from percent to decimal)= 38.5lbs

275 - 38.5 = 236.5lbs lean body weight

236.5 / 2.2 = 107.5 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 107.5) = 2692 BMR (this is high for the average person, im a big guy)

BMR formula #2 (only to be used if your bf is low)

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

TDEE

Once u have you bmr, u need to calculate your TDEE, this is simply done with some multiplication...

you can multiply it by an activity number to figure out your daily caloric expenditure, be honest here as this is the very cornerstone of your diet, if you are between two of the below activity levels then just multiply by a number in between them

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I should also give you an idea of what dieting should look like... you need to make sure every last calorie you take in isn't an empty calorie... every time you eat you should be eating with a purpose which is to fuel your body for growth and fat loss (predicated on your goals)...

Good meats/protien to eat..

Chicken Breast
    Turkey Breast
    Eggs/Egg Whites
    Bison/Deer Meat
    93% and up lean beef (ground beef, roast beef, london broil are just a few examples)
    Fish (tuna, salmon, talipa etc..)
    Whey (PWO ONLY)
    Casien (BEDTIME ONLY)

Good Complex Carbs

Oats (not that instant crap, all natural steel cut/rolled oats)
    Sweet potatos
    Yams
    Wheat Bread (no, not the enriched type)
    Ezekiel Bread
    Glutin Free Bread

Good Essential Fatty Acids

Almonds
    Avocado (my fav)
    Cashews
    EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
    Fish Oil

You can google endless more where that came from.. get creative..

Also, try to seperate your pro/carb and pro/fat meals, usually leaving your pro/fat meals for bedtime... Beefs should be eaten closer to bed time and usually falls between the last and second to last meal

PROTIEN SHAKES (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CASIEN SHAKES) SHOULD BE CONSUMED POST WORKOUT ONLY!!!!!! DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF BY REPLACING A MEAL WITH PROTIEN SHAKE, THEY DO 1/8 OF WHAT REAL FOOD WILL DO FOR YOU IN ITS PLACE...

Below are links to a great series of diet/nutritional vidoes that will give you a better idea as to what dieting is. Please remember that Milos only gives you a standard diet while we are trying to CUSTOMIZE one with you. This is why we need your BMR/TDEE and MACROS

Milos Sarcev "Secret of the Pro's" on Nutrition

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt1_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt2_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt3_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt4_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt5_extreme

http://www.dailymoti...nar-pt6_extreme

You can run a great many types of diets.. low carb, high carb, carb cycle, keto, etc.... there is no ONE right way.. the best thing you can do is pick one and stick to it while paying attention to how your body is reacting to it... some people are carb sensetive, some are not... you'll have to find out yourself

MICROCALIBRATION - Microcalibration is a must for dieting.. usually based upon your goals you will be set either 500 calories above or below your TDEE. This is a starting point and you need to be checking yourself by weight or measurment every week to scale how your body reacts..

try to remember that dieting is not an overnight thing.. it takes time and patience....

When you've completed reading all this feel free to post up your diet for critique..

Wow thank you for this information its great.
    okay my average diet for the past few week:
    wake up :
    bowl of oats and a protein shake OR Chicken and onion on brown toast with protein shake

11am :
    2 cheese buns

dinner :
    if im in college either
    tuna pasta OR tuna brown bread sandwich OR turkey sliced sandwich
    if im at home :
    chicken and turkey sliced ommlette OR mash and chicken (mash made with rooster and sweet potatoe, rooster potatoe nutrional details = per 100g 72 kcals , 17g carbs 0.7g which is sugars, 0.1g fat 0.0 saturated, 1.8g of protein)

4/5pm -
    tuRkey sliced sandwich OR
    jacket potatoe with tuna and beans

7/8pm -
    omlette chicken and turkey or just a piece of grilled chicken

before bed - protein shake

my workout times differ from mornings or afternoons.

i try to have 1 cheat meal a week because its suppose to be good for you but sometimes i cheat 2/3 times on the weekend =/ pizza ice cream damn.

ill say on average i consume 2000ish? im not too sure protein being pretty high and carbs quite high too but with good G.I levels.

my stats:
    height 6 ft 1
    weight 13 stone 11
    body fat ? (ill post a picture)
    goals drop to roughly 13 stone 4ish for new year
    i dont know my bmr?
    i tdee i do cardio 30 mins/60 mins depends + weights 5 times a week = 500kcals a day on a 30 min cardio.
    i do sports at college breaks like rugby or football. - 100-300 kcals?

i am starting a new job soon where i will have to lift packages into warehouses and stuff for 6 hours+ aint sure how many kcal that would burn

thanks for the advice guys

Bump

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright2009 View Post
    Wow thank you for this information its great.
    okay my average diet for the past few week:
    wake up :
    bowl of oats and a protein shake OR Chicken and onion on brown toast with protein shake

11am :
    2 cheese buns WHAT IS THIS? DROP IT ASAP!!

dinner :
    if im in college either
    tuna pasta OR tuna brown bread sandwich OR turkey sliced sandwich
    if im at home :
    chicken and turkey sliced ommlette OR mash and chicken (mash made with rooster and sweet potatoe, rooster potatoe nutrional details = per 100g 72 kcals , 17g carbs 0.7g which is sugars, 0.1g fat 0.0 saturated, 1.8g of protein)

4/5pm -
    tuRkey sliced sandwich OR
    jacket potatoe with tuna and beans

before bed - protein shake

my workout times differ from mornings or afternoons.

i try to have 1 cheat meal a week because its suppose to be good
    7/8pm -
    omlette chicken and turkey or just a piece of grilled chicken
    for you but sometimes i cheat 2/3 times on the weekend =/ pizza ice cream damn.
    YOU WILL NEVER GET TO WHERE YOU WANT TO BE THIS WAY!!
    ill say on average i consume 2000ish? im not too sure protein being pretty high and carbs quite high too but with good G.I levels.

my stats:
    height 6 ft 1
    weight 13 stone 11
    body fat ? (ill post a picture)
    goals drop to roughly 13 stone 4ish for new year
    i dont know my bmr?YOU HAVE TO FIGURE THIS OUT SO WE KNOW WHERE YOURE AT
    i tdee i do cardio 30 mins/60 mins depends + weights 5 times a week = 500kcals a day on a 30 min cardio.
    i do sports at college breaks like rugby or football. - 100-300 kcals?

i am starting a new job soon where i will have to lift packages into warehouses and stuff for 6 hours+ aint sure how many kcal that would burn

thanks for the advice guys
    Check out what I wrote in bold for starters. You still have a long way to go but well get you there buddy.....

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You dont get it do you. Cheese toast is not beneficial for your diet at all. It is a waste and high in fats

ive dropped them out of my diet my diet seems more like this.

morning oats and protein shake and 3 egg whites with turkey as an omlette

11am tuna sandwich or tuna pasta

2pm jacket potato or sweet potatoe mashed with rooster potatoe with grilled chicken

5pm eg white chicken and turkey omlette

8pm protein shake

any tweek are welcomed thanks

POPS is offline Senior Member
    youre lucky that Im on vacation this week and decided to do this for you. We asked you for your stats in the first few posts and you did NOT give what we ask. So Ill take a guess that being in college youre around 19-23 years old.

Your estimated bmr is - 2100

Your estimated tdee is - 3255

Like I said these are estimates due to the lack of information. Now go back and read and understand what EXACTLY your bmr and tdee mean.

You need to go back and break down the cals/proteins/carbs/fats FOR EACH AND EVERY MEAL THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE DAY! I use fitday.com personally and works like a charm. Check it out and youll know what Im talking about.

Whatever you do, do not get frustrated; well get you there....

okay thanks, ill probably have to calculated it myself because i never seem to get an accurate reading on fitday.com

ill post back shortly thanks

Thread Information