Thread: lentils

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

lentils

Ok i just ate a cup of pink lentils and a 8oz chicken breats. First time calculating the lentils though, was looking for a new carb source for the begining of the day. I go to put it into fitday, and heres the breakdown for 1 cup of lentils. (raw not cooked if that makes a big difference)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 662.4
    Calories from Fat 34.9

Fat 4.2 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 0.73 g 4 %
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.96 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 13.4 mg 1 %
    Potassium 1,109.8 mg 32 %
    Carbohydrate 113.6 g 38 %
    Dietary Fiber 20.7 g 83 %
    Protein 47.9 g 96 %
    Alcohol

By looking at this, 1 cup of lentils in itself would be enough for one meal???
    so next time should i not add a protein to it, or maybe i should only eat 1/4-1/2 cup at a time. I still have about 4 cups cooked off. So i dont wanna waste them.

thanks guys

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    Ok i just ate a cup of pink lentils and a 8oz chicken breats. First time calculating the lentils though, was looking for a new carb source for the begining of the day. I go to put it into fitday, and heres the breakdown for 1 cup of lentils. (raw not cooked if that makes a big difference)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 662.4
    Calories from Fat 34.9

Fat 4.2 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 0.73 g 4 %
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.96 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 13.4 mg 1 %
    Potassium 1,109.8 mg 32 %
    Carbohydrate 113.6 g 38 %
    Dietary Fiber 20.7 g 83 %
    Protein 47.9 g 96 %
    Alcohol

By looking at this, 1 cup of lentils in itself would be enough for one meal???
    so next time should i not add a protein to it, or maybe i should only eat 1/4-1/2 cup at a time. I still have about 4 cups cooked off. So i dont wanna waste them.

thanks guys
    It will be hard to tell you how much to eat without seeing your diet and goals laid out.

But if you're asking what a decent serving size of cooked lentils would be, then yes 1C sounds good.

If 1C raw yields 4C cooked, then you'd take the numbers from above and divide by 4, which means you'd be eating roughly 28g carbs per C of cooked lentils.

Not sure, you should go by the nutrition labels though because fit-day may have a different brand or something.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarjones View Post
    It will be hard to tell you how much to eat without seeing your diet and goals laid out.

But if you're asking what a decent serving size of cooked lentils would be, then yes 1C sounds good.

If 1C raw yields 4C cooked, then you'd take the numbers from above and divide by 4, which means you'd be eating roughly 28g carbs per C of cooked lentils.

Not sure, you should go by the nutrition labels though because fit-day may have a different brand or something.
    ahh ok didnt think about that. So yeah 1 cup seems perfect then. awsome thanks, yeah i dont need to post entire deit right now. Think im doing pretty good, top has already helped me. Just wanted a new carb source for the week thats all

ahh ok didnt think about that. So yeah 1 cup seems perfect then. awsome thanks, yeah i dont need to post entire deit right now. Think im doing pretty good, top has already helped me. Just wanted a new carb source for the week thats all
    Yeah I am not sure if it's exactly that ratio, but it must be pretty close. It may depend on how long ya cook them too.

Maybe cook 1C raw and then just measure it out after it's cooked so you get an idea.

perfect, thanks oscar. These are a good complex carb right?

perfect, thanks oscar. These are a good complex carb right?
    yeah definitely.

Thread Information