Thread: Diet Critique

jab1234 is offline Junior Member

Diet Critique & Body Fat Estimation

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 173 lbs
    BF%: ~15%

Ive made some strides with this diet and morning cardio in the past couple months, but I feel as though I am hitting a wall and my cravings for cheat meals have intensified.

It's becoming more difficult to want to stay on my diet, although I have remained disciplined, but what are some "clean" cheat meals if there is such a thing? And at what frequency do you eat them? Once/Twice a week?

Meal 1: Immediately upon waking I ingest some Glutamine and BCAAs, I also drink BCAAs while on the treadmill

Workout 1: 5:30 am 45 min cardio, walking on treadmill at an incline, keeping heart rate around ~120

Meal 2: Protein/Fat; whole eggs, egg whites, organic peanut butter

Meal 3: Protein/Carb meal; tuna low fat mayo and low fat crackers

Meal 4: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc

Meal 5: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc

Workout 2: after work 4:30 pm I normally train one body part per day

Meal 6: Post workout shake; 50g whey + 50g dextrose + 50g maltodextrin

Meal 7: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc

Meal 8: Protein/Fat; right before bed whey protein and EFAs

*I always try to mix in some broccoli or green beans in with my protein/fat meals
    *normally space meals 2-3 hours apart
    Last edited by jab1234; 12-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by jab1234 View Post
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 173 lbs
    BF%: ~15%

Ive made some strides with this diet and morning cardio in the past couple months, but I feel as though I am hitting a wall and my cravings for cheat meals have intensified.

It's becoming more difficult to want to stay on my diet, although I have remained disciplined, but what are some "clean" cheat meals if there is such a thing? And at what frequency do you eat them? Once/Twice a week?

****Depends on what you like to eat that is healthy.

Meal 1: Immediately upon waking I ingest some Glutamine and BCAAs, I also drink BCAAs while on the treadmill
    ****good

Workout 1: 5:30 am 45 min cardio, walking on treadmill at an incline, keeping heart rate around ~120
    ****High intensity at all?

Meal 2: Protein/Fat; whole eggs, egg whites, organic peanut butter
    ****good

Meal 3: Protein/Carb meal; tuna low fat mayo and low fat crackers
    ****could be better. make sure whole wheat crackers.

Meal 4: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc
    ****good

Meal 5: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc
    ****good

Workout 2: after work 4:30 pm I normally train one body part per day
    ****ok. post workout in workout section maybe I can help

Meal 6: Post workout shake; 50g whey + 50g dextrose + 50g maltodextrin
    ****Kill simple carbs, add oats

Meal 7: Protein/Fat; steak, chicken, ground beef, fish, etc
    ****ok

Meal 8: Protein/Fat; right before bed whey protein and EFAs
    ****switch this and meal 7

*I always try to mix in some broccoli or green beans in with my protein/fat meals
    ****why?
    *normally space meals 2-3 hours apart
    ****look for the****

-I eat the veggies for the fiber content to make sure I don't get plugged up with all of the protein Im eating.

- Meal 3 you said could be better, and this is my carb meal. Could you give me an example

- No high intensity at all, only time is if I treadmill after my workout. My heart rate remains around ~150 and I perform this for 30 minutes max

- Ive read in many stickies that the PWO shake should consist precisely of the meal I listed, to my understanding the simple carbs are to shuttle protein to my body more quickly. Am I incorrect in this?

Thanks

-I eat the veggies for the fiber content to make sure I don't get plugged up with all of the protein Im eating.

- Meal 3 you said could be better, and this is my carb meal. Could you give me an example

- No high intensity at all, only time is if I treadmill after my workout. My heart rate remains around ~150 and I perform this for 30 minutes max

- Ive read in many stickies that the PWO shake should consist precisely of the meal I listed, to my understanding the simple carbs are to shuttle protein to my body more quickly. Am I incorrect in this?

Thanks
    1. you want to be denying the body of carbs, so adding veggies in at each meal does the opposite.
    2. Crackers are not a good carb source. How about add all your veggies here. or just eat some sweet potato or something.
    3. I would do some HI
    4. This is very contradictory. I always say no simple carbs at all. Let me find you a link give me a sec

POST workout fast carb! Which one or ones?

read this. I like everybody and have heard both ways but I agree 100% with BINO.

Interesting, seems like there are some differing schools of thought here. This is an excerpt form the sticky posted on "How to Cut", that explains the fibrous veggies and PWO shake:

1.Postworkout Nutrition- I’m a firm believer that PWO nutrition is hands down the most important aspect of dieting. It is within the 15 minutes after a workout that your body is in dire need of nutrients. It is a completely anabolic state, and what you take in can be optimized to ensure maximum results. A general rule of thumb is 40-60 grams whey protein, and double the amount of whey in carbohydrates (50% dextrose/50% maltodextrin).

2. Carbs- You are **** right, carbs. In a strict cutting diet the majority of your carbs should come in the form of PWO nutrition, and the remainder in breakfast. Fibrous veggies are a staple, but keep in mind that they don’t count towards intake, as they have negligible impacts on blood sugar levels. (Exceptions: Carrots, Peas) All high glycemic carbs outside of PWO should be avoided. The best sources of low GI carbs can be found in oatmeal and brown rice, as well as yams.

Interesting, seems like there are some differing schools of thought here. This is an excerpt form the sticky posted on "How to Cut", that explains the fibrous veggies and PWO shake:

1.Postworkout Nutrition- I’m a firm believer that PWO nutrition is hands down the most important aspect of dieting. It is within the 15 minutes after a workout that your body is in dire need of nutrients. It is a completely anabolic state, and what you take in can be optimized to ensure maximum results. A general rule of thumb is 40-60 grams whey protein, and double the amount of whey in carbohydrates (50% dextrose/50% maltodextrin).
    ****I do not have time to post all of the reasons why this is now somewhat incorrect, but basically the "15 minute window" is many hours long, and also you are supposed to wait 15 minutes before eating. And also the insulin -anabolic response (unless synthetic) is negligible. Better is complex in any situation.

2. Carbs- You are **** right, carbs. In a strict cutting diet the majority of your carbs should come in the form of PWO nutrition, and the remainder in breakfast. ***agree***Fibrous veggies are a staple, but keep in mind that they don’t count towards intake****bullshit, if it goes in your mouth, it is counted****, as they have negligible impacts on blood sugar levels ****so what they are still carbs, that only explains why they are a good carb to eat. (Exceptions: Carrots, Peas) All high glycemic carbs outside of PWO should be avoided ***agree***. The best sources of low GI carbs can be found in oatmeal and brown rice****processed***, as well as yams****agree****.
    those stickies are old.

for PWO what do you think about 50g Whey, 1/2 cup oats, 1 medium yellow banana and water blended into a shake? Is the banana too high in GI?

It all depends on your dedication level. banana will not kill you. Not that bad at all, but why do oats and a banana?

I can't eat oats straight up, I've tried to man up, but its just not going to happen. I found that I can blend it up dry with protein powder water and a banana to make it actually tasty. I've tried it without the banana but it seems like it helps with the viscosity and texture of the shake.

Also do you recommend HI cardio first thing in the morning or post workout? Should I alternate between LI and HI every other day?

Is it too much to perform the 45 minutes in the morning and also another 30 minutes post workout on the same day, for lets say 4 days/week?

thanks again

I can't eat oats straight up, I've tried to man up, but its just not going to happen. I found that I can blend it up dry with protein powder water and a banana to make it actually tasty. I've tried it without the banana but it seems like it helps with the viscosity and texture of the shake.
    go for it then, If I were bulking with aas I would do it.

Also do you recommend HI cardio first thing in the morning or post workout? Should I alternate between LI and HI every other day?
    ****I would do Hi for 45seconds, one time per 5 minutes for 40 minutes, and anything after should be low intensity
    Is it too much to perform the 45 minutes in the morning and also another 30 minutes post workout on the same day, for lets say 4 days/week?
    ****not too much at all, just depends on your bulk goals.

thanks again
    WHen you get to below 10% I would recommend no more am cardio, and do pwo cardio only(or cardio by itself) doing long sessions at a low intensity. If cardio is NOT pwo and you have a low bf%, then you might want to do HIIT for the first 20 minutes for HI once every 5 minutes.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Fibrous veggies will not have any real impact on carbohydrate intake unless they are eaten by the truckload. Remember, fiber is not stored as fat or glycogen under any circumstances. IMO, they're a safe and nutritious way to help fill your stomach when eating an otherwise joyless diet.

I'll incorporate the HI short bursts into my morning sessions. Also I didn't state this in my original post, but I am definitely looking to cut, I'd like to get back to <10% BF.

With that being said if you think that my recipe for a PWO shake is more for bulking, then I will adjust it accordingly.
    Last edited by jab1234; 12-01-2009 at 10:41 PM.

What body fat % do you think this is, and how the hell can I put some thickness on my chest.

I went from 185 lbs to currently 173 lbs in the past two months on the diet and cardio above. I'd like to get below 10% at whatever weight and then try an do a slow and steady clean bulk

I even got to the point I was working out chest twice a week since it was lagging so far behind

Current chest routine consists of:
    1. incline dumbbell press
    2. flat dumbbell flyes
    3. decline dumbbell press
    4. low or high cable cross overs
    5. rotate between dips and pullovers

For years I just tried to put up as much weight as possible on chest, (for the ego) but realized I was employing my delts entirely too much. So I switched to the routine above with lower weight and slow controlled movements with a serious squeeze at the top of the motion.

My form is in check now, as I have a slight arch in my back and stick the chest out and focus on squeezing the muscle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diet Critique-body-fat-002.jpg  

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    maybe 15? give or take. Yeha chest seems to be lacking. Maybe ditch the flyes and stick to the benches and dumbell presses. Thats another topic but check the workout section.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Fibrous veggies will not have any real impact on carbohydrate intake unless they are eaten by the truckload. Remember, fiber is not stored as fat or glycogen under any circumstances. IMO, they're a safe and nutritious way to help fill your stomach when eating an otherwise joyless diet.
    I know but, Veggies would kick you out of keto no?
    I have not done research on keto diets thoroughly enough.

I'll incorporate the HI short bursts into my morning sessions. Also I didn't state this in my original post, but I am definitely looking to cut, I'd like to get back to <10% BF.

With that being said if you think that my recipe for a PWO shake is more for bulking, then I will adjust it accordingly.
    It is more for bulking but by looking at your pic you need a little bulk in your life. You should do well on this diet. If you gain fat just drop cals accordingly and the best thing to do is up cardio.

What body fat % do you think this is, and how the hell can I put some thickness on my chest.

I went from 185 lbs to currently 173 lbs in the past two months on the diet and cardio above. I'd like to get below 10% at whatever weight and then try an do a slow and steady clean bulk

I even got to the point I was working out chest twice a week since it was lagging so far behind

Current chest routine consists of:
    1. incline dumbbell press
    2. flat dumbbell flyes
    3. decline dumbbell press
    4. low or high cable cross overs
    5. rotate between dips and pullovers

For years I just tried to put up as much weight as possible on chest, (for the ego) but realized I was employing my delts entirely too much. So I switched to the routine above with lower weight and slow controlled movements with a serious squeeze at the top of the motion.

My form is in check now, as I have a slight arch in my back and stick the chest out and focus on squeezing the muscle.
    You are overtraining, whether it be not eating enough, or just working out too much, or doing too many sets (I think you are doing way too many sets).
    here is what you should try for a month or two

incline bench db
    4 sets - warmup, 4, 4, 12-16(failure)
    Flat Bench
    3 sets - 4, 4, 12-16(failure
    Decline Flyes
    3 sets - 12, 12, 10-12

once you can do 6 reps on the 4 rep sets, up the weight.
    only train chest once a week.
    try to do a 2 on 1 off schedule. ex legs, back, rest, chest, shoulders, rest

I'm definitely doing too many sets, I perform 4 sets of each exercise above at about 8 reps each

Thread Information