ziggz is offline Junior Member

please critique diet - lost 20lbs so far

Hey guys, was in here around august trying to figure out a diet to lose fat. I lost about 20 lbs, but I haven't really gone down at all the last couple weeks.. I got a little lazy on lifting/cardio so I added those back in 3x week.. I'm wondering if anyone can critique my current diet.

BMR: 2088
    TDEE: ~3000

6'0, 230 lb, about 22-23% bf

goal: lose another 20+ lbs

Non-workout days:

Workout-days: (I do PWO 30 mins LI cardio or 20 mins of HIIT (I alternate))

the bagel and whey shake are taken PWO

My split is about 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat

Any suggestions on what to tweak? Is my split good or should I change it? I'm also aware I'm not getting much veggies, but I really hate them, heh..

P.S. should I do a refeed? If yes, how many cals/carbs do you guys suggest I aim on my refeed day?

Thanks!

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggz View Post
    Hey guys, was in here around august trying to figure out a diet to lose fat. I lost about 20 lbs, but I haven't really gone down at all the last couple weeks.. I got a little lazy on lifting/cardio so I added those back in 3x week.. I'm wondering if anyone can critique my current diet.

Non-workout days:

UP THE LI CARDIO TO 45 MIN

DUMP THE BAGEL AND ADD FISH OIL

Any suggestions on what to tweak? Is my split good or should I change it? I'm also aware I'm not getting much veggies, but I really hate them, heh..

P.S. should I do a refeed? If yes, how many cals/carbs do you guys suggest I aim on my refeed day?

Thanks!
    Drop the rye bread, grapes, and soup and add better sources of pro/fats and carbs. Chicken, fish, turkey,egg whites, lean meat for pro. Broccoli, green beans and sweet potatoes for carbs. And almonds and fish oil and good sources for efa's.

Dont worry about the refeed just yet.....

Hope this helps....

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED

Non-workout days:

Thanks!
    There is 99% of your probem. You got lazy and stopped lifting and doing cardio and now you are wondering while you stalled?? Also, how long are your cardio sessions now that you added them back in?

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    There is 99% of your probem. You got lazy and stopped lifting and doing cardio and now you are wondering while you stalled?? Also, how long are your cardio sessions now that you added them back in?
    Yeah.. I dunno why I got so lazy about it, but I kinda thought that since I'm still eating below maintenance, I should still lose some weight.. I'm not sure how my body can maintain its weight of 230 lbs eating just 2200 cals a day..

Regardless, I got the lifting and cardio back in.. I'm alternating between 30 mins LI cardio and 20 mins of HIIT PWO about 3 -4x a week (that is, LI one day, HIIT the next).

I was wondering if I should change the macros in my diet? Maybe carb cycle? Eat 2 days of 40P/25C/35F and 1 day of 40P/40C/20F ?

Yeah.. I dunno why I got so lazy about it, but I kinda thought that since I'm still eating below maintenance, I should still lose some weight.. I'm not sure how my body can maintain its weight of 230 lbs eating just 2200 cals a day..

Regardless, I got the lifting and cardio back in.. I'm alternating between 30 mins LI cardio and 20 mins of HIIT PWO about 3 -4x a week (that is, LI one day, HIIT the next).

I was wondering if I should change the macros in my diet? Maybe carb cycle? Eat 2 days of 40P/25C/35F and 1 day of 40P/40C/20F ?
    Up your LI cardio to 45 min and if youre going to carb cycle, I would go 6 days at low carb then on day 7 go back to 40/40/20..( Monday - Saturday then Sunday carbs )

Only one way to find out if this works for you. Its a tough one to get those carbs very low and stick with it. If it starts to work for you then try 13 days low carb then on day 14 refeed. Im on the 13 low then 14 refeed and I have noticed a huge difference..

Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    Up your LI cardio to 45 min and if youre going to carb cycle, I would go 6 days at low carb then on day 7 go back to 40/40/20..( Monday - Saturday then Sunday carbs )

Only one way to find out if this works for you. Its a tough one to get those carbs very low and stick with it. If it starts to work for you then try 13 days low carb then on day 14 refeed. Im on the 13 low then 14 refeed and I have noticed a huge difference..
    45 mins PWO is a lot, no? especially when you're in such a catabolic state.. I've read and been told not to exceed 30 mins LI cardio PWO. How low carb are we talking about? 25% of calories low enough?

45 mins PWO is a lot, no? especially when you're in such a catabolic state.. I've read and been told not to exceed 30 mins LI cardio PWO. How low carb are we talking about? 25% of calories low enough?
    Everybody has their own views and ideas on such things. I am just referring to what I am currently doing and what works for me. Im 39, 5'7 185 and about 19%bf. I have tried a lot of different ways to shed bf and I found one thats working for me. I did not see much results doing only 30 min so I kicked it up to 45 and started to notice a dif. And last week I also added HIIT on 2 of the 5 days I do cardio. I also have my daily carbs at 3%, But remember Im carb cycling every 14 days and I am using fats for energy.

Im going to roll with this for a while and go from there..

You will just have to come up with a plan and stick with it for a few weeks and decide from there if what you are doing is good and stick with it or change it up.

You must be patient my friend. And do yourself a favor, if you have a scale, throw it out. It will drive you mad!!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    Everybody has their own views and ideas on such things. I am just referring to what I am currently doing and what works for me. Im 39, 5'7 185 and about 19%bf. I have tried a lot of different ways to shed bf and I found one thats working for me. I did not see much results doing only 30 min so I kicked it up to 45 and started to notice a dif. And last week I also added HIIT on 2 of the 5 days I do cardio. I also have my daily carbs at 3%, But remember Im carb cycling every 14 days and I am using fats for energy.

Im going to roll with this for a while and go from there..

You will just have to come up with a plan and stick with it for a few weeks and decide from there if what you are doing is good and stick with it or change it up.

You must be patient my friend. And do yourself a favor, if you have a scale, throw it out. It will drive you mad!!

Good luck!
    haha I hear ya on the scale thing :P I only weigh myself once a week.. 3% carbs wow.. that's rough.. I'm gonna aim for 20-25% carbs and see how that works and cycle a 40/40/20 day every few days/once a week (not sure yet).. I think between the exercise and the caloric deficit, I should continue to lose weight.. thanks for the advice!

haha I hear ya on the scale thing :P I only weigh myself once a week.. 3% carbs wow.. that's rough.. I'm gonna aim for 20-25% carbs and see how that works and cycle a 40/40/20 day every few days/once a week (not sure yet).. I think between the exercise and the caloric deficit, I should continue to lose weight.. thanks for the advice!
    youre welcome. If you find yourself in a sticking point ( like I did ) you may have to change it up. Your body will tell you....

Thread Information