Thread: snacks

RyDawg88 is offline Junior Member

snacks

Is beef jerky and port rines a ok snaek for low carb high protien diet?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I eat beef jerky all day long

Pork Rhines are basically pig skin which probably has high fat. Don't know for sure though, I havn't had them in about ten years

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    UUuuummmmmmm..................NO! Beef jerky has a shit load of sodium which you don't want and pork rines are nothing but absolute FAT. Let me do some looking around and I'll get back with youon some bettersnacks.

yellows2k is offline Member
    How many times a day do you eat? I never eat snacks cuz I eat every 2-3 hours.

Beef jerky is fine IF YOU MAKE IT YOURSELF!

Don't buy the convenience store garbage... more chemicals and salt than meat in there! I eat home made jerky all the time

I just posted a thread on jerky making on another board yesterday... I'll copy the message here...

There are recipes for all palates and tastes...

My favorite remains one of the simplest...

Cut ***lean*** beef into strips 4-6in long by 1/4in wide. (meat must be reasonably lean as fat will be tough to eat and go rancid with time)

Marinate overnight in the fridge in a mix of:
    garlic (a ton!)
    teriaki sauce (low sodium if you can find it)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3 shredded jalapenos
    1-2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    1-2 tbsp A-1 Sauce

Now comes the tricky part...

Once well marinated you have to jerky the meat. To do this msny people dry it in a dehidrator. I don't have one, so like the rest of us cheap b***ards I use my kitchen oven (which in my opinion is a lot more efficient than any expensive dehidrator).

First you line the oven racks with foil. Preheat oven to 150 F. Then you lay the meat strips on the foil. Drop drying temperature to 140 F after 1-2 hours. Leave space around the racks for air circulation. It helps to prop the door 2-3" open and place a fan at one side to blow across the open door and remove wet air. Personally I use a computer fan drawing air our of the oven by the "chimney vent" instead (this is usually in the rear left stovetop element on electric ovens)and keep the door propped open 2".

You dry the meat until it becomes leathery to taste. Some people like it more like soft leather, some like it dry like ruffles chips.

Obviously you are not adding protein by dehydrating, but by removing the water content from the meat you are concentrating the amount of meat protein per volume (the meat shrinks a lot during drying).

Also be removing water content, you make a snack that doesn't need refrigeration for up to a few months (depending how "leathery" you make yours). So it,s a great solution for folks who are in school and can't bring fresh food in class or start opening a can of tuna just pull a jerky stick out and nibble on it.

It also rehydrates nicely in a soup.

As you may guess this is the staple food of lightweight backpackers like myself. I've lived up to 2.5 weeks on the trail out of my backpack with home dehydrated meats, fruits, veggies and good pasta.

By the way for a lot more recipes check out: http:// www.greatjerky.com/beefjerkyrecipes.html

This is a good link on home food drying: http:// www.netwoods.com/Cooking/drying2.html

Red

PS:

Oh and one last word of advice... if anyone decides to try making some, I highly suggest that you have 2-3 trial runs with no more than the size of one small steak each time. Fine tune a recipe and drying time before doing a large batch.

Dehydrating really concentrates the taste in food and I really messed up badly my first attempt

harl is offline Associate Member
    thats cool.... ill have to try that.

Shit R.K., You ought to try fish jerky, I make that frequently and it's good as hell with a little spicy mustard.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Red...sounds good. I'm definatly gonna try it.

Pheedno- Fish jerky?!?!?!?! oh hell no! I like fish but for some reason that does'nt sound good. Of course I would have to try before criticizing it.

Pheedno ... fish jerky? Thats intriguing! What kind of fish do you use? I have access to fresh smallmouth bass almost year long. Going to have to try it!

I guess it's not that far fetched... I really enjoy my uncles home smoked salmon. Yum with a capital Y!

Red (getting seriously hungry!)

RyDawg88 is offline Junior Member
    thanks guys for ur reply's

Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    Pheedno ... fish jerky? Thats intriguing! What kind of fish do you use? I have access to fresh smallmouth bass almost year long. Going to have to try it!

I guess it's not that far fetched... I really enjoy my uncles home smoked salmon. Yum with a capital Y!

Red (getting seriously hungry!)
    Basically any white meat fish. I've tried it with croppy, bass, & brim. Never tried it with Salmon and thats my favorite fish. Salmon fillet with some asparagus and Hollandais. Yumm Yumm eat'em up

Audra91 is offline New Member

Lightbulb Home-Aid Beef Jerky

If you get some beef at the store, get it cut into very thin stripes, non-fatting. Marinate is

Liquid Smoke-about 1/4 cup
    Worshire Sauce-about 1/2 cup
    Soy Sauce-About 1/4 cup

You can put as much marinade in there as you would like.. Let marinate in fridge over not, but in Dehydrator for about 24-38 hours.. It's delicious! If your dieting, a dehydrator is the best thing you can possibly own..lol

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If I even look at beef jerky I have to mega pound water for the next week to drop the added retention. Beef Jerky make we add water weight - BIG TIME.

Thread Information