Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The Cyclic Ketogenic Diet.....

HeavyL is offline Junior Member
    just eat some fruit 30 minutes before your lift..

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    banana and snickers are fully loaded with fructose and sucrose which will kick me out of ketosis and let me drain liver glycogen further before my workout....
    bingo!!! Although its not a snickers bar its the snickers marathon bar because its loaded with sucrose and fructose.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    bingo!!! Although its not a snickers bar its the snickers marathon bar because its loaded with sucrose and fructose.
    i might sound stupid here...BUT what do you mean TOP, do class the snicker and the bannana as a marathon bar or is there a bar in the US called snickers marathon.....i know years ago a snickers was called a marathon

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    ^^^^^^ ahhh there is a bar called snickers marathon, they are not sold in the UK,wey ive never seen them..

Sorry eb sometimes i forget you guys are not local,yes there is a bar called a marathon bar and its formulated specifically for glycogen loading.

http://www.snickersmarathon.com/

B1gDaddy is offline Associate Member
    alright here goes nothin. this is what i figured out so far

3095 TDEE
    181 LBM
    724 protien cals
    181g (LBM)of protien a day 724(27%) cals from prot
    2595 consumed cals total in a day** ( minusing the 500 cal defic for fat loss)
    207grams of fat a day 1871(69%) cals
    20 carbs (3%) 80 cals

Cals are too high so moved grams of fat down to 172 g so this is what i made it to to make it work..

Prot 181g 30.5% 725 cals
    fat 172g 65.3% 1550 CALS
    carbs 25 4.2% 100 cals

so now its 30/65/5 basicly

Look alright to you TOP? I'll be putting together a diet as best as i can hopefully, i might use one of the diets posted on this thread as my example to work off of an make my own daily diet up..

And what shud ur macros look like on carb load days? typically high fat high carbs an prot? :s Or low fat an carbs an prot high, but its kidna hard to find food with high prot an high carbs but low on fat
    Last edited by B1gDaddy; 03-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.

carb up is low low fat, high carbs and moderate protein

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyL View Post
    carb up is low low fat, high carbs and moderate protein
    kk thanks

Is it normal to feel dizzy at times and really exhausted at the beginning stages of keto? i just about passed out after i got up after sitting for about an hour reading the forum an thats never happened before. I started keto yesterday basically so im about 2 days in. im not sure on the nutrition facts but is it ok to have a energy drink like NOS or monster, redbull etc?

danielli is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B1gDaddy View Post
    Is it normal to feel dizzy at times and really exhausted at the beginning stages of keto? i just about passed out after i got up after sitting for about an hour reading the forum an thats never happened before. I started keto yesterday basically so im about 2 days in. im not sure on the nutrition facts but is it ok to have a energy drink like NOS or monster, redbull etc?
    pretty sure the drinks are ok as long as you watch the carbs in them.

Failure is offline Associate Member
    Feeling tired is normal. Sometimes dizzy is as well. I don't think your body is used to using fat as an energy source yet.

It isn't hard to find food that are high pro and high carb if you look for them separately. Bagel and chicken breast. Sweet potato and London Broil(leaner of the red meats). Even low fat meals in restaraunts may work for you. Easier to find palatable food on off days than on days.
    Last edited by Failure; 03-23-2010 at 02:51 AM.

^ Chicken breast doesnt have carbs lol. See for urself

http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/food_search

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    Well, I threw my hat into the ring as of yesterday. I've done similar keytogenic diets in the past with some good success and it's time to get disciplined with my diet again and lose some weight.

A few stats:

Weight: 239 lbs
    Height: 5'10"
    TDEE = 3344
    BRM = 2158

No idea what my body fat comp is, but I'm guessing between 25%-30%. Pitiful, I know. I'm struggling a bit with adding more healthy fats to balance out my ratios. I have plenty of protein (too much, according to TOP) and I'm looking for options.

So far, I'm eating:

- Protein powder/water shake pre-workout (35gm of Protein)

- 6 egg whites/3 yolks; chopped green peppers; 2 slices of ham - post workout

- 2 hard boiled eggs, palm full of walnuts; 3 green pepper strips - "breakfast" at work.

- (1) chicken breast, palm full of walnuts - lunch

- Tuna mix - real mayo and chopped celery - afternoon snack

- (1) chicken breast, steamed broccoli - dinner

- protein powder shake before bed.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what my ratios are or my calories count based on these portions. I've never counted calories and really don't know where to start -- not sure I want to. But, based on just the info listed, does it look like I need to add more fat to the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by B1gDaddy View Post
    ^ Chicken breast doesnt have carbs lol. See for urself

http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/food_search
    hes not refering to the chicken breast as having carbs mate, hes pointing out a good pro/carb meal...i.e chicken and bagel, sweet potatoe and staek..

hes not refering to the chicken breast as having carbs mate, hes pointing out a good pro/carb meal...i.e chicken and bagel, sweet potatoe and staek..
    Ah alright. My mistake

So im doing a keto diet for a guy here locally and amazingly he was able to establish ketosis in 2 days with a blood sugar level around 62 and still feeling fine. I was wondering if anyone else had been checking their blood sugar?
    Mine is usually around 80 in ketosis and during carb load.

Im just taking a pole to get a better study.Post em if you can...TOP

62 what TOP?.......what are the units?........

62 what TOP?.......what are the units?........
    What do you mean what do i mean? Im saying his blood sugar was tested using a diabetic sugar tester and it came back 62.

LOL......well ive got a diabetic sugar tester but the readings are from 0-20mmol/L roughly......is this the thing that you prick your thumb, drop blood onto a stick, then into the little accu measure machine?

Any progress reports here. Im wondering about some of the success you guys are having on this diet. I would love to see some results posted. Ill post mine up in about 4 more weeks when Im going to be checking my results

well i feel and look better on the CKD......ive been off the CKD this week tho......back on from monday........ill not be taking results till week 12.

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    It's early for me, but I'm down 6 lbs since Monday. I'm sure most of that is due to running a calorie deficit compared to what I usually consume (I'm probably just getting into ketosis today), but as usual, as long as I have my meals lined up to eat every 2-3 hours I do not get hungry. My energy level this morning was pretty low, but I did fine the first three mornings at the gym. Today was cardio, only, and I was happy that's all I had to do. Since I have a LOT of weight to lose and am less concerned about retaining muscle mass, I'm doing this through Saturday and will do a light carb up on Sunday with good carbs, then back on it for another week.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Ed View Post
    It's early for me, but I'm down 6 lbs since Monday. I'm sure most of that is due to running a calorie deficit compared to what I usually consume (I'm probably just getting into ketosis today), but as usual, as long as I have my meals lined up to eat every 2-3 hours I do not get hungry. My energy level this morning was pretty low, but I did fine the first three mornings at the gym. Today was cardio, only, and I was happy that's all I had to do. Since I have a LOT of weight to lose and am less concerned about retaining muscle mass, I'm doing this through Saturday and will do a light carb up on Sunday with good carbs, then back on it for another week.
    Sounds good ed!

edgarr is offline Member
    Good Bye CKD

Well I really quit last week but I took this whole week off. Funny things is, I didn't put on any weight, I weigh exactly what I did after week 1 of CKD...180 and this week I ate EVERYTHING. White carbs, candy, booze you name it. I did my am cardio but that's it, no weights.

So Monday I start a 40/40/20 diet and will run that for 10 weeks to compare.

Good luck everyone!

thats too bad about your success with CKD, keep us posted on your other diet

Bren is offline Associate Member
    Just finished my 4th on CKD and according to the scale I am only down 5lbs, but my abdominal and waist measurements are both down about an inch each and my arms are measuring 1/8thinch bigger.Starting Monday I will be doing 45min of cardio every other day and on my non-lifting days I will be lowering my calories by 300 under my TDEE so I can really get my fat loss going.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    While I am consistently an anti-ketogenic advocate. I cant help but notice the buzz the CKD is getting. So I am doing a 2 week experiment with it. I just started Tuesday and am following the guidelines and here are my results thus far. Since tuesday I have lost 2 lbs of fat. I check my body fat every morning. While I find this to be a positive - here are the negatives.

Absolutely no energy.
    Loss of strength.
    Consistently hungry through out the day/Hunger pangs.
    Lethargic.
    Difficulty with concentration.

I did my full body workout today and it was agony. Im waiting until Monday evening to start my refeed and hopefully I will feel better after that.

To be fair: I did come down with a mild cold, so I cannot directly blame this diet just yet. Ill let you know how I feel next week. Now how are you supposed to come off of a diet like this? How do I reintroduce carbs?

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    While I am consistently an anti-ketogenic advocate. I cant help but notice the buzz the CKD is getting. So I am doing a 2 week experiment with it. I just started Tuesday and am following the guidelines and here are my results thus far. Since tuesday I have lost 2 lbs of fat. I check my body fat every morning. While I find this to be a positive - here are the negatives.

Absolutely no energy.
    Loss of strength.
    Lethargic.

I did my full body workout today and it was agony. Im waiting until Monday evening to start my refeed and hopefully I will feel better after that.

To be fair: I did come down with a mild cold, so I cannot directly blame this diet just yet. Ill let you know how I feel next week. Now how are you supposed to come off of a diet like this? How do I reintroduce carbs?
    Only allowing for 2 weeks will only make you hate life! This is usually the amount of time it takes for the body to shit to a fat burning metabolism. The first few weeks you may feel like you have the flu because your body isnt used to the conditions,so dont be suprised if you come away still hating ckd. Its not a magic bullet.

Why would you do any diet study for 2 weeks? If i were to say im gonna do a 40/40/20 for 2 weeks and see if i lose loads of fat people would call me crazy...Just my opinion..TOP

Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    Only allowing for 2 weeks will only make you hate life! This is usually the amount of time it takes for the body to shit to a fat burning metabolism. The first few weeks you may feel like you have the flu because your body isnt used to the conditions,so dont be suprised if you come away still hating ckd. Its not a magic bullet.

Why would you do any diet study for 2 weeks? If i were to say im gonna do a 40/40/20 for 2 weeks and see if i lose loads of fat people would call me crazy...Just my opinion..TOP
    I never said that I planned on losing loads of fat, and I also never established what my experiment was about. According to the original post, there are many positive effects with this diet so upon achieving ketosis I would assume that I would experience these effects. Are you claiming that it takes 2 weeks to achieve ketosis?

How do I reintroduce carbs?
    What do you recommend?

Absolutely no energy.
    Loss of strength.
    Lethargic.

I never felt any of these.

Absolutely no energy.
    Loss of strength.
    Lethargic.

Also my fat loss didn't really kick off until the 4th week.
    I love this diet and I am making gains on it.

What do you recommend?
    You only did it for 2 weeks. Just start eating like normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I never felt any of these.

Absolutely no energy.
    Loss of strength.
    Lethargic.

Also my fat loss didn't really kick off until the 4th week.
    I love this diet and I am making gains on it.
    Well clearly your not eating with a deficit. You cant make gains if your not eating for it. If I was eating for a gain that would be a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You only did it for 2 weeks. Just start eating like normal again.
    Ok hypothetically speaking, if i continued for 8 weeks, how would I reintroduce carbs.

Bump

edgarr is offline Member
    Ok hypothetically speaking, if i continued for 8 weeks, how would I reintroduce carbs.
    I splurged for a week eating all kinds of carbs. Didn't put a pound on that week

BigTMan123 is offline New Member
    I didn't see if this had been asked yet:

Is it alright to take ECA for extra energy and fat burning?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I would personally start by re-introducing carbs around your training:

pre and post wo.

Actually your two meals pwo (pwo and ppwo) could be carbs, depending on your sensitivity, and the amount of carbs you take in.

See how that goes, then start adding some oats to meal 1. the rest of your meals are pro/fat, and carbs around training.

That's what I would do....

Half way through my 5th week now, and wow, I am burning some freaking fat! Not losing much strength except for my Friday workouts, but my Monday workouts I am gaining strength and a little size.
    I am zig-zaging with my calories. I eat More calories on my workout days and go on a big deficit on my off/cardio days.
    I also take caffeine and aspirin for energy on Wednesday and Friday workouts.

Thread Information