gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Low carb diet, fat and strength loss

I am about to wrap up week 3 of my cut diet which is basically a 45/35/20 (P/C/F) split. I'm only taking in about 1900 calories, so my daily carbs are around 150g - much lower than what i'm used to - I was probably taking in 400-500g daily.

I am noticing some strength loss, and an overall lethargy; I am assuming that this is due to the relatively low carb intake, but I don't want to carry on like this just to find out after X amount of months that it's due to muscle loss. How can you tell the difference?

PS - I am having my first refeed day this Sunday, so i'm hoping that gives me a big boost come Monday morning.

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I am about to wrap up week 3 of my cut diet which is basically a 45/35/20 (P/C/F) split. I'm only taking in about 1900 calories, so my daily carbs are around 150g - much lower than what i'm used to - I was probably taking in 400-500g daily.

I am noticing some strength loss, and an overall lethargy; I am assuming that this is due to the relatively low carb intake, but I don't want to carry on like this just to find out after X amount of months that it's due to muscle loss. How can you tell the difference?

PS - I am having my first refeed day this Sunday, so i'm hoping that gives me a big boost come Monday morning.
    That will make a difference,why havent you been doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by **TOP** View Post
    That will make a difference,why havent you been doing this?
    When I was putting this diet together, a few members (at the moment I can't remember specifically who) told me not to refeed for a few weeks because I wouldn't be depleted of carbs enough so early on, and wouldn't really be 'refeeding' anything.

Yea, aside from the strength boost i'm expecting Monday morning, I'm just looking forward to chowing down on some food! I'm going to go for 80g of carbs for each of my first 4 meals of the day, then drop them and go back to fiberous veggies the remainder of the day. As usual, fat will be kept around 40g and I will keep it minimal during those first 4 meals, and eat most of it later in the day.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Re-feeds do more than just restore glycogen levels (which would be low after a week of low carbs anyway), like raise leptin levels and keep your metabolism trucking along.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    Re-feeds do more than just restore glycogen levels (which would be low after a week of low carbs anyway), like raise leptin levels and keep your metabolism trucking along.
    Well, no doubt this is what i'm after!!! I'm aware of the physiological purposes of the refeed, but of course i'm looking forward to the obvious and immediate benefits, like a strength boost (albeit temporary) and a break from the diet (restoring my sanity).

mg1228 is offline Senior Member
    i believe that was me gbrice---nark had me start incorporating a refeed after 2 or 3 weeks in---so i prob reccomended it to you---which is fine---ur good----my refeed is tmro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mg1228 View Post
    i believe that was me gbrice---nark had me start incorporating a refeed after 2 or 3 weeks in---so i prob reccomended it to you---which is fine---ur good----my refeed is tmro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MG - it was you and actually another guy or two... can't remember, need to check the old thread.

Enjoy your refeed, I KNOW I will! It's the perfect day too - I plan on not showering, staying in pajamas all day, eating like a pig (well not quite, but compared to what i've been doing), and watching football - heaven!

Thread Information