Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Simple or complex carbs while cutting?

It seems that I've been misinformed about almost every single aspect of cutting......

Is it worse to consume more complex or simple carbohydrates while on a low carb cutting diet??

I've been consuming more simple carbs (in the form of fruit, mostly) than complex.... am I totally off track here?

yellows2k is offline Member
    ONLY complex carbs EXCEPT post workout, that goes whether you are bulking, or cutting.

So should I limit my fruit intake? A lot of my meals, and good portion of my breakfast, consists of lots of fruit... bananas, apples, pears....
    is this bad?

They contain a lot of sugar, I would eat only one fruit at most early in the day if you like fruit so much. Now vegetables, have as much as you like.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by yellows2k
    They contain a lot of sugar, I would eat only one fruit at most early in the day if you like fruit so much. Now vegetables, have as much as you like.
    Exactly!! Veggies (especially greens) are low in calories and high in fibre, therefore they take a little while to digest and leave you less hungry. Use slow burning carbs for 90% of your carb intake (yams, oats, brown rice) and stay away from breads, pastas, white rice (basically any carbs that are refined). Don't eat any carbs after 4pm except for veggies (salads). The only significant simple carbs should be ingested immediately after training along with a fast absorbing protein source (powder). It will cause an insulin spike which and replace depleted glycogen stores, switching the body from a catabolic state to a muscle retaining state.

Thanx for the info pete & yellows2k

Crew is offline New Member
    Originally posted by yellows2k
    ONLY complex carbs EXCEPT post workout, that goes whether you are bulking, or cutting.
    well i'm pretty sure fruit in the morning is good too. has something to do with spiking your insulin levels. correct me if i'm wrong.

Crew is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Pete235

Exactly!! Veggies (especially greens) are low in calories and high in fibre, therefore they take a little while to digest and leave you less hungry. Use slow burning carbs for 90% of your carb intake (yams, oats, brown rice) and stay away from breads, pastas, white rice (basically any carbs that are refined). Don't eat any carbs after 4pm except for veggies (salads). The only significant simple carbs should be ingested immediately after training along with a fast absorbing <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> source (powder). It will cause an insulin spike which and replace depleted glycogen stores, switching the body from a catabolic state to a muscle retaining state.
    ). Don't eat any carbs after 4pm so what if u work out at night. shouldnt u consume complex carbs before workout and after work out meal.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Of course there would be exceptions to all rules. What you have to do is figure out when you plan on sleeping and then do your best to limit carb intake4-6 hours prior to going to sleep. Yes, it is a good idea to have a slow burning carb before training (abnout 2 hours before) so if you train at 6pm, eat something at 4pm. Also, keep your post workout drink (high in simple carbs) becuase it will be utilized/processed almost immediately and will not be stored.

As far as fruit, fruit is healthy and chock full of vitamins and minerals. It's not bad for you unless you are on a super strict cutting diet, so go ahead and have an apple, orange or banana sometime throughout the day if you are just trying to eat well.

I eat carbs throughout every meal except my prebedtime meal.
    I wake up at 11AM and have most my carbs in my first 3 meals which brings me to about 5 or 6 Pm i probably have consumed about 100-120g of carbs. My 8 pm meal has about 15-20. My 10pm meal has about 10-15. And at 1am I have like 3-5g.

hardasnails1973 is offline New Member
    First of all an spike in our insulin level is going to slow lipoysis down by about 6 hours. So if you are cutting its caloires in vs caloires burned with steady insulin levels thorugh out the day. SO I would cut your simple sugar post workout or cut them down to a bare minimal may be like 25 grams simple to 50 grams whey protein and 5 grams glutemine and 5 grams BCAAS and 250 mgs ALA to offset the sugars in you are worried. Just as long as you don't exceed caloric intake I see no harm in some simple sugars, i know I get super dry when i do cut all simple sugar except for few stralwberries here and there which actually aid in fat burning.

Mr x said it best
    10-12 times body weight for cutting
    13-16 x bodyweight for maintence
    17-20 x body weight for lean bulking

Every ones body is different have to find out works best for you.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Polska
    So should I limit my fruit intake? A lot of my meals, and good portion of my breakfast, consists of lots of fruit... bananas, apples, pears....
    is this bad?
    Apples and Pears are don't effect insulin secretion like bananas do. Bananas cause a rapid increase.

The lowest GI fruits are cherries, plums and grapefruit... fructose. Mild secretion comes from Apples, Pears, Grapes, Peaches...

Rapid insulin producing fruits are Bananas, Raisens, Apricots, Papayas, Mangos... these should be used only as post workout or otherwise when an insulin spike is desired. Also eaten in moderation due to their effect on insulin.

Insulin response can also be buffered by adding fats.

More importantly than simply avoiding certain fruits altogether is to know the right time to use them... and in the right amount.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Crew
    well i'm pretty sure fruit in the morning is good too. has something to do with spiking your insulin levels. correct me if i'm wrong.
    Inulin secretion stops cortisol production. So yes, in the morning is good (have to break the fast with breakfast) and post workout.

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    I take a good multi-vitamine and vitamine C in the morning. Only eat fruits after workouts myself (with whey)

I love reading your replies Warrior. They're always full of useful information, easy to understand, and usually give reasons why.

Thread Information