scared1 is offline Junior Member

Cutting diet....will this work?

Ok...first the stats.
    39 yo
    6' 185 lbs.
    bf % 16-18
    RMR 1860
    1 hour cardio on an empty stomach each day
    1 hour workout each day except Sundays or when my body tells me to take a rest.

I forget how I came up with this figure but I think I want about 1700 cals per day and they come out like this.

1682 kcals/ 253g pro/ 74g carbs/ 44g fat

I don't have a job that allows me to keep a strict schedule so my routine changes often. That being the case, I don't want to give you a specific diet and times but I can tell you that I split this up in smaller meals of about 6-8.

I am just now learning about proper dieting and want to cut bf before I start bulking. Does this seem like I am in the ballpark?

Can too much protein lead to a gain in bf?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I think your cals are too low even for cutting...how did you calculate your BMR?

I used some machine at the local gym....it is my RMR not my BMR. Resting met rate.

I will add that before, I was dieting wrongly trying to stay around 1200 cals but often went into a 1200-1500 cal range. I realize this was wrong and i was killing myself for no reason. I was more than likely burning more muscle than fat. So I am not sure what "mode" my body is in right now. It might still be in "survival" mode. Also...on this restricted calorie diet I would not pay attention to macros...just calories. So who knows what the hell was happening.

Also...I have to say....i have a desk job and if i am not running or working out...i don't get a whole lot of movement.

with those calories if ur meals are spaced out right plus the cardio u should lose weight
    too much protien (as long as its lean) shouldn't cause an increase in bf in ur situation

my short simple answer

Thanks for the replies guys....what types of protein are NOT lean?

D7M
    Blog Entries
    If you can figure out your BMR and TDEE that would help alot. If you don't know the formulas for that, or can't google BMR and TDEE formula's let me know, and I'll dig them up for you...

some examples of lean protein sources:
    Chicken Breast
    Turkey Breast
    Eggs/Egg Whites
    lean beef (ground beef, roast beef, london broi)
    Fish (tuna, salmon, talipa etc..)

Ok...my protein is coming mostly from eggs, tuna, shrimp, scallops, chicken, beef jerky, and shakes. I think that is considered lean. Can you name some examples of protein that is NOT lean and that i would want to avoid?

D7M
    Blog Entries
    Try to get the BMR and TDEE figured out, because I really don't think you're eating enough.

Um...non lean protein sources? any fried foods (fish), any non lean cuts of beef (very marbled steaks, 80/20 ground beef). I can't think of too many non lean meats. Just stick to the lean ones and you'll be fine.

I did some calculators via the net and came up with TDEE= 2500 to 2700 cals and BMR of 1880

bump

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by scared1 View Post
    I will add that before, I was dieting wrongly trying to stay around 1200 cals but often went into a 1200-1500 cal range. I realize this was wrong and i was killing myself for no reason. I was more than likely burning more muscle than fat. So I am not sure what "mode" my body is in right now. It might still be in "survival" mode. Also...on this restricted calorie diet I would not pay attention to macros...just calories. So who knows what the hell was happening.
    Wow, we really are alike - you probably saw my post basically saying the same thing. The worst part is I KNEW better and still did this! Being a grotesque 255lbs, all I cared about was losing weight and paid no attention to the quality of the weight I was losing - I just knew I was getting 'smaller' and that's all that mattered. Of course I now regret that way of thinking.

Ok...my protein is coming mostly from eggs, tuna, shrimp, scallops, chicken, beef jerky, and shakes. I think that is considered lean. Can you name some examples of protein that is NOT lean and that i would want to avoid?
    I'd probably rely less on shrimp and scallops and more on the other protein sources. It's ok to have, but shrimp in particular are LOADED with cholesterol. Watch the sodium in that beef jerky too!

I guess if protein is the only concern, these are fine. If your aim is to eat as clean as possible, then sodium and cholesterol start becoming more of a concern (2 things I NEVER cared about before). Just my .02

Thanks man. I just mentioned Shimp and scallops that day because that is what my wife made me. I have a whole tupperware bin full of cooked chicekn breast ready to go. Although I am the pickiest eater I know (won't touch veggies), 1 thing I do love is eggs and chicken and tuna....so that should be cool. If you even knew what I used to eat you'd be amazed I am still alive. Getting the diet in check or even close is a HUGE step in the right direction. I have no plans for it right now but when i reach some milestones in my training....my old friend Bacardi will be introduced to celebrate.

mg1228 is offline Senior Member
    list out each meal with macros and cals--and then total up both for the day---i think ur tdee is off aswell--do a search on this forum for tdee and use those equations to re-figure ur tdee----and then we can really help

If you even knew what I used to eat you'd be amazed I am still alive. Getting the diet in check or even close is a HUGE step in the right direction. I have no plans for it right now but when i reach some milestones in my training....my old friend Bacardi will be introduced to celebrate.
    LoL you don't have to tell me! My diet LITERALLY consisted 7 nights a week of either: Chinese Food (pork friend rice, General Tso's Chicken, Egg Roll, etc), Pizza/Calzone/Subs, or McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, KFC, etc. Litererally every night for years. It's amazing that I didn't get past 255lbs - maybe I have a better metabolism than I think!

Thread Information