1luv is offline Associate Member

Question strict high protein diet on a budget...is it possible?

whaddup fellas (and ladies),

its been a while since ive posted much but I'm back with a new type of question. For the first time in my life, I really want to get my diet precise to see just how much of an effect it can have. Call it more of an experiment than anything, but i am going to go with a good diet and really stick with it and see what the results are.

My problem...eating high protein and good food is expensive. I wonder if anyone has any suggestion on how to pack tons of good protein into meals for cheap. Also, i need to be able to eat a lot of these meals in the office.

I am going to split 350g of protein throughout the day into 8 meals - 45g each meal being my goal. i figured 2 of those meals the protein will come from a shake (protein blend AM and PM and 100% whey post workout). The other meals I am thinking egg whites (occasional yolk), chicken, fish, beef, turkey. Ideally, I would just eat a ton of the canned cooked meats...just pop em open and scarf em down...but at over 2 bucks a pop, i definately cannot afford that. Any help would be awesome.

americanoak is offline Member
    if you dont mind it but up a bunch of eggs ( pretty cheap ) and hard boil them, you can bring them to work and throw out the yolks. When your home you can make an egg white omlet with some fat free american cheese ( 25cals, 0fat, 2carbs, 4protein ). Great way to not spend alot of money n get alot of protein if you dont mind eggs.

i actually love eggs...and dont mind that at all...but what's an egg...like 5g of protein without the yolk? i can see myself eating 10 eggs per meal...possibly supplementing meals with eggs though. thanks americanoak.

I mean, its not that much protein in one, but they are low calories and pretty cheap i supose. No problem

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    the cheapest I ever dieted and best I ever looked was on this diet

meal 1- 11 egg whites, 1 egg whole scrambled
    1.5 cup oats

meal 2- 50 gram whey shake
    8 oz potato or 1 cup white rice

meal 3- 8 oz chicken or steak, 8 oz potato or 1 cup white rice

train

meal 4(PWO) 2 packs instant flavored oats
    50 gram whey shake

meal 5- same as meal 3

meal 6- 11 egg whites, 1 whole egg

I started at 234 lbs, I did that exact diet the entire 14 wks and didnt change shit, and here is where I ended up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails strict high protein diet on a budget...is it possible?-train-tracks.jpg  

forgot to mention, all I eat is ghetto shoulder steaks. They're lean and like $2 each. I eat steak almost every single day!! During my 14 wk diet I probably went through 10 lbs of chicken and that was it, I hate chicken!! I look better on red meat anyways. Now occasionally I would substitute Tilapia for meal 1 or 5 above.

So lets see here, steak- $5/day, potatoes- $10/wk MAYBE, protein powder- $20/wk, eggs- $16/wk, total- $51 + $20 miscellaneous, lets call it $70/wk. Thats the cheapest I could do it, but not bad IMO

were you using eggs or like an egg beaters liquid for the 11 egg whites?

bigjoe30 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvr2big1 View Post
    the cheapest i ever dieted and best i ever looked was on this diet

1.5 cup oats

train

meal 4(pwo) 2 packs instant flavored oats
    50 gram whey shake

meal 5- same as meal 3

i started at 234 lbs, i did that exact diet the entire 14 wks and didnt change shit, and here is where i ended up
    look good man great job! I think its gonna take me a long time to get there.

Hey n2b why white rice over brown?

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    costco salmon patties. cheap and tons of protein. eggs are good, eat the whole thing.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I picked up 5kg of frozen fillets at walmart for about 15$ recently. There are lots of cheap protein sources. Simple cans of tuna is cheap too but cooking those fillets in some oil with vegies was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe30 View Post
    Hey n2b why white rice over brown?
    I have tried both time and time again, I look much better on white rice and white potatoes over brown rice and yams. I think they keep my glycemic index more stable or something, or maybe I'm predispositioned to need slightly higher insulin spikes than some people. White potatos just make my muscles blown up and grainy as hell, I love them for dieting. I know a lot of guys like this, that diet was given to me by an IFBB pro believe it or not. He said that I didn't need any supplemental fats yet, and he looked at me at 8 wks out and still said no supplemental fats. At 4-5 wks out I was looking so good I said screw it, lets go in on just carbs and protein(and the very little fat in the shoulder steaks) and see what happens. I've never looked so hard and grainy before in my entire life. And I was not using that much juice either!! Just winny @ 50mg eod, tren @ 75mg eod, and prop @ 100mg eod, and didn't even start the cycle until 8 wks out from my contest.

big joe, how did you prepare your meals, did you mabe them all like in the morning and have them throughout the day or just made them as the day went on. It seems like it would be extremly difficult to folow that for 14 weeks

difficult? hahahha, brother you should see some of my past diets!! This one was the easiest to follow. I would bring my cooler w/ me with everything cooked ahead of time, and if I did not have time to boil the potatos I would bring a bag of raw potatos with me, when it was time to eat you take a knife and slice them really thin(so they cook faster) and throw them in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or so. Then I would just dunk them in ketchup or bbq sauce or whatever and eat em like potato chips. You only dunk them in just enough to give them some sort of flavor, its very little. But then again, I wasn't as worried about sodium as my diet had hardly any fat in it, and the sodium did a good job of holding nutrients in my muscles

good idea man
    thnks

Quote Originally Posted by americanoak View Post
    big joe, how did you prepare your meals, did you mabe them all like in the morning and have them throughout the day or just made them as the day went on. It seems like it would be extremly difficult to folow that for 14 weeks
    not sure if this ? was for me but anyway i make 4 meal nite before if i have work (laid off now) and other 2 i make that day at home. iv been using a griller like a forman grill and grilling fish,chicken or turkey on it comes real good. and throw like 3-4 cups aof rice in a rice cooker and split that up for the meals.

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    I have tried both time and time again, I look much better on white rice and white potatoes over brown rice and yams. I think they keep my glycemic index more stable or something, or maybe I'm predispositioned to need slightly higher insulin spikes than some people. White potatos just make my muscles blown up and grainy as hell, I love them for dieting. I know a lot of guys like this, that diet was given to me by an IFBB pro believe it or not. He said that I didn't need any supplemental fats yet, and he looked at me at 8 wks out and still said no supplemental fats. At 4-5 wks out I was looking so good I said screw it, lets go in on just carbs and protein(and the very little fat in the shoulder steaks) and see what happens. I've never looked so hard and grainy before in my entire life. And I was not using that much juice either!! Just winny @ 50mg eod, tren @ 75mg eod, and prop @ 100mg eod, and didn't even start the cycle until 8 wks out from my contest.
    i was always told brown rice and yams, but a friend of mine got a diet from a BB he kows and he told him white rice. im no where close as ripped as you some im afraid of the white rice and potatoes. i do eat white potato after WO, i still think im not eating enough.

the cheapest I ever dieted and best I ever looked was on this diet

1.5 cup oats

train

meal 4(PWO) 2 packs instant flavored oats
    50 gram whey shake

meal 5- same as meal 3

I started at 234 lbs, I did that exact diet the entire 14 wks and didnt change shit, and here is where I ended up
    where the before pic?

all great stuff guys...thanks

heres a strange question...i have a ton of pork and sauerkraut frozen from earlier this year...how is that as a meal?

sec_s is offline New Member
    Hey guys do mean to interrup this thread but NVR2BIG1. Withall that food wht is your workout if you dont mind me askin i new at all this.

Quote Originally Posted by sec_s View Post
    Hey guys do mean to interrup this thread but NVR2BIG1. Withall that food wht is your workout if you dont mind me askin i new at all this.
    My workout was FST-7 the entire show prep, I trained with only moderate weights and trained solely for squeeze and pump. I only did 30 min cardio 3x wk on stairmaster. I use cardio solely to keep my metabolism firing but do not overdo it. I probably did weights 3-4x/wk 45 min/workout max. FST-7 is truly an awesome training style

what is FST-7 ?

what is FST-7 ?
    also interested^

suprman09 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    costco salmon patties. cheap and tons of protein. eggs are good, eat the whole thing.
    you have macros on these? thanks.

what is FST-7 ?

FST-7 stands for "fascia strength training" its a style of training that is meant to volumize muscles and give ur muscles a fuller and rounder look. Basically I would do 2 or 3 exercises for chest, then after those I would pick a machine like a hammer strength press, and do 7 sets w/ only 30-40 seconds rest in between sets. The intent is on building a pump beyond a pump, an insane pump. The point of the 30 seconds rest is this :think of your muscles as a balloon full of water, I can poke a hole in the balloon and some of the water will leak out, but if I fill it with more water in 30-40 seconds the balloon still gets bigger. Your not training for weight on your FST-7 sets. It does not matter whether you use 100 lbs or 50 lbs, you just do 7 sets 8-12 reps w/ 30-40 seconds rest.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    costco, sam's, bj's, whatever should be your best friend. Bulk buying is the way to go as long as you can store your food.

From bags of chicken, 10 lbs of oats, a box of eggs ( 7 dz per box ), cans of tuna and 6 lbs of whey prot are just a few, plus all the tupperware youll ever need is at these stores...

Check it out....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a salmon pattie breaded and full of preservatives?

POPS is offline Senior Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a salmon pattie breaded and full of preservatives?
    I think what Twist was referring to are the bags of salmon FILLETS that are pre-packaged, considering that we both shop at costco and I think I know what hes talking about.

My wife buys them all the time and are not breaded....Im not a fan of salmon but these are not bad at all...

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    i weigh significantly less than you guys but i can diet for $40/week buying eggs, chicken breast, almonds, oats, veges at trader joes and costco

Thread Information