frodo89 is offline Junior Member

Need some diet advice from the pros please

Hi all,

I have recently been paying a heap of attention to my diet, finally figuring out that just going to the gym is about 10 per cent of the effort that you need to put in daily, and the rest is trying to fit in some proper eating.

Only problem is I need some advice from the pros. I have been reading a few threads on this site for a while and have put together a proper eating plan that I will go through later. Only problem is I have not calculated fats nor carbohydrates just proteins and calories. Hopefully someone can give me a hand with that or direct me to a site that has all the macronutrients listed.

My diet looks a little something like this:
    (protein/calories)

Breakfast 7:30 am
    - 3 whole eggs (18.81/ 234.32)
    - 2 egg whites (7.2/ 51.48)
    - 1 slice of wholemeal bread (2.71/ 68.38)
    - One table spoon of raspberry jam (0.07/ 55.60) (mainly for an insulin spike as I have not been eating for about 8 hours)

Between meal 10:00 am
    - 200g of low fat yogurt (10/ 188)
    - 100g of low fat cottage cheese (12.39/ 72)
    - ½ cup of oats (13.175/ 303.42)

Lunch 12:30 pm
    - 190g of chicken breast (37.26/ 320)
    - 220g of sweet potato (4.01/ 231)

Work out at 1:30pm (except on Tuesday and Wednesday see below)

PWS 3:00 pm
    - Hydrolysed whey protein (39/150)
    - Gatorade powder (0/100) (again for the insulin spike, as I need to get them amino acids in quick and some glucose into the muscle cells)

Dinner 5:30 pm

- 190g of chicken (as above);
    - 190g of salmon (29.67/ 208.5); or
    - 185g of tuna (36/230)
    - Cup and a half of veggies (I like to change these veggies around to get a variety of them, but I normally have diced peas, carrots, corn, mushrooms, capsicum, onion, broccoli and snow peas)

Later dinner 8:00 pm
    - Any of the above (chicken, salmon or tuna, with the same amount of vegetables)

Bed time
    - Tablespoon of crunchy PB (need to find some natty) (5/ 156)
    - Casein protein (39/ 150)

My next little problem is that on Tuesday and Wednesday I have to train at 8:30 and have my PWS at 10:00 am. This cancels out my oats and sweet potato, which normally fuel me for my workout at 1:30. Should I throw in a cup of oats at breakfast on these days to keep my carbohydrate intake almost the same as the rest of the days I train?

Thanks to mg1228 (your advice to other members is great by the way) I have calculated my BMR to be 1741.6 and my TDEE is 2699.48.

I have about 20 percent body fat possibly a bit lower, I want to get leaner, but I would also like to be putting on muscle. So I’m looking for a magic number of calories and protein that will help me get that result.

All your advice would be appreciated, especially in concern to my Tuesday and Wednesday regimen.

**TOP** is offline Senior Member
    What are the total macros in the diet you proposed? Pro/fat/carb/ cals?

I still need to work out my fat and carbohydrates, but my total calories come up to being about 2629.6, and my total protein count comes up to being about 222 grams. I can calculate total carbohydrates and fats soon (I know it would help).

My problem is if i should add the extra carbs before (eg cup of oats) early morning training on tuesday and wednesday, then cut out that carbs for the other meals after my workout.

Got myself on to Fitday, my total macros for the day look something like this 2, 629 total calories, 68.3 fat, 188 carbs, 240 protein.

Looking at your breakdown its pro/carb/fat -41/32/26 i would reduce protein and fat and raise carbs just a little. Also you dont have your stats posted anywhere on the thread enter your age height weight bodyfat. And as for the "Post workout insulin spike"........LOSE IT! There are many better ways to go than that!...TOP

~~~~

thanks top, my stats are:
    - age, 20
    - height, 5' 8"
    - weight, 179 lbs
    - body fat, 19 per cent

Any advice on what I should take for an insulin spike PWO. I was watching Milos secrets of the pros and he said anything with simple carbohydrates is good, that's why I opted for the Gatorade powder. Should I reduce my carbs after workout too on the days that I train early, or keep them to keep my macros the same everyday.

[QUOTE=frodo89;5092301]thanks top, my stats are:
    - age, 20
    - height, 5' 8"
    - weight, 179 lbs
    - body fat, 19 per cent

Any advice on what I should take for an insulin spike PWO. [QUOTE]

Looking at your stats i would direct you towards protein and fat post workout,surely not gatorade its really unnecessary.Did you ever redo your diet?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    [QUOTE=**TOP**;5092400
    Looking at your stats i would direct you towards protein and fat post workout,surely not gatorade its really unnecessary.Did you ever redo your diet?[/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy. He helped me a lot and really introduced me to the concept of pro/fat pwo nutrition. Great way to get lean.

I am definitely open to changing my diet I just need some help on putting it together, this is something I put together just having a look on this forum and some flex magazines I have had on dieting. But it would be great if i could get somethings I could change my diet with, eg what type of pro/fat foods I could change to.

ps thanks damienm05

mrdude is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=**TOP**;5092400][QUOTE=frodo89;5092301]thanks top, my stats are:
    - age, 20
    - height, 5' 8"
    - weight, 179 lbs
    - body fat, 19 per cent

Any advice on what I should take for an insulin spike PWO.
    Looking at your stats i would direct you towards protein and fat post workout,surely not gatorade its really unnecessary.Did you ever redo your diet?
    I have always thought that you should have only proteins and carbs after a work out and no fats. And pro carb for the second meal after the PWO meal. That it´s most important to have protein and some fast carbs after work out.

MRDUDE,

one of many articles that explain why NOT! The same man who wrote this is also the same guy who wrote the ANABOLIC DIET,and is also the doctor that is very intelligent!
    I hope this helps you!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm

Thanks top, yes this guy does seem to know what he is on about, and definitely makes proper justifications for his propositions. The confusing part is if you scroll down and read the related articles there are a number of other articles that provide simple carbs are necessary after workout lol, so that's just great news. Anyway, I will be cutting the gatorade as you suggested. But as of the rest of my diet, what meals would you change and to what, that would be great help mate.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by frodo89 View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently been paying a heap of attention to my diet, finally figuring out that just going to the gym is about 10 per cent of the effort that you need to put in daily, and the rest is trying to fit in some proper eating.

Only problem is I need some advice from the pros. I have been reading a few threads on this site for a while and have put together a proper eating plan that I will go through later. Only problem is I have not calculated fats nor carbohydrates just proteins and calories. Hopefully someone can give me a hand with that or direct me to a site that has all the macronutrients listed.

My diet looks a little something like this:
    (protein/calories)

Breakfast 7:30 am
    - 3 whole eggs (18.81/ 234.32)
    - 2 egg whites (7.2/ 51.48)
    - 1 slice of wholemeal bread (2.71/ 68.38)
    - One table spoon of raspberry jam (0.07/ 55.60) (mainly for an insulin spike as I have not been eating for about 8 hours)
    I would drop the jam

Between meal 10:00 am
    - 200g of low fat yogurt (10/ 188)
    - 100g of low fat cottage cheese (12.39/ 72)
    - ½ cup of oats (13.175/ 303.42)

drop this meal and replace it with something else. Oats and dairy is not a good muscle building meal

Lunch 12:30 pm
    - 190g of chicken breast (37.26/ 320)
    - 220g of sweet potato (4.01/ 231)
    great
    Work out at 1:30pm (except on Tuesday and Wednesday see below)

PWS 3:00 pm
    - Hydrolysed whey protein (39/150)
    - Gatorade powder (0/100) (again for the insulin spike, as I need to get them amino acids in quick and some glucose into the muscle cells)
    Like everyone said, drop all fast digesting carbs. I would supplement with a slower digesting protein also, a mix is the best. add fat or carbs. If you gain fat easily make it a pro/fat shake, if you don't gain and are "average" then use oats and protein mix.
    Dinner 5:30 pm

- 190g of chicken (as above);
    - 190g of salmon (29.67/ 208.5); or
    - 185g of tuna (36/230)
    - Cup and a half of veggies (I like to change these veggies around to get a variety of them, but I normally have diced peas, carrots, corn, mushrooms, capsicum, onion, broccoli and snow peas)
    I like this meal but could you move it a half hour to an hour closer to your pwo shake?
    Later dinner 8:00 pm
    - Any of the above (chicken, salmon or tuna, with the same amount of vegetables)
    ok
    Bed time
    - Tablespoon of crunchy PB (need to find some natty) (5/ 156)
    - Casein protein (39/ 150)
    average
    My next little problem is that on Tuesday and Wednesday I have to train at 8:30 and have my PWS at 10:00 am. This cancels out my oats and sweet potato, which normally fuel me for my workout at 1:30. Should I throw in a cup of oats at breakfast on these days to keep my carbohydrate intake almost the same as the rest of the days I train?
    so you eat breakfast then go train right after? sorry I don't understand your question

Thanks to mg1228 (your advice to other members is great by the way) I have calculated my BMR to be 1741.6 and my TDEE is 2699.48.

I have about 20 percent body fat possibly a bit lower, I want to get leaner, but I would also like to be putting on muscle. So I’m looking for a magic number of calories and protein that will help me get that result.
    lol the magic number. Anyway you need to see how you respond to food. I would recommend for the above results eating at a maintenance level of calories and doing cardio to make up the difference.
    All your advice would be appreciated, especially in concern to my Tuesday and Wednesday regimen.
    I don't get your tuesday wednesday regimen... see bold

On Tuesday and Wednesday I go straight to the gym after my breakfast, and I have been reading that carbs should be dropped after workout (replaced with good fats preferably), but at the same time I want to maintain the same amount of macros, plus before I get to the gym in my normal eating regimen i get the half cup of oats and the sweet potato. I can't get that when Im training early in the morning. Thanks for the advice twist, freeking awesome, what would you recommend for my 10 am meal rather than the oats and the dairy, some lean meat (like tuna) and complex carbs (more sweet potato or brown rice)?

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    make meal one have 6 whole eggs and make meal two chicken and some sort of carbs. It is not necessary to omit carbs after workout. I don't recommend it unless you are cutting with no need to add muscle or you are doing a serious cut and are in need of bf loss regardless of muscle mass. You may be in the latter boat. post a pic that helps a lot when telling someone which route to go. For most there is no need to cut or bulk, most people who are average weight and average build need to do maintenance clean calories and add cardio. post a pic for better help

Thanks heaps twist. I have put up a picture. I have been told that I am about 20 percent body fat, so that's what I have used to calculate my tdee ect. Now in Australia it is going to be winter, and I would really like to get some more muscle on me, and I will start dieting in winter for spring. So what ratios should I be looking at for gaining more muscle protein/ carb/ fat wise. Or should I be doing something else, Im not sure you judge by the picture.[ATTACH]105***[/ATTACH]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06032010007.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	659.1 KB 
ID:	105904
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some diet advice from the pros please-06032010005.jpg  

Thread Information