Thread: fructose

elfin1mf is offline Associate Member

fructose

Read alot about fructose. Nearly all vegetation contains some amount of it. I decided to try to reduce my fructose to less than 1% of my total carbs for the past couple months. As far as I could tell, the difference in fat gain was phenomenal. It seems to me that as long as I do not eat fructose, I gain fat MUCH slower, and lose it slightly quicker. Does anyone else avoid fructose?

I also read that ethanol, vinegar, sugar alcohols (polyols) and certain other sources of energy are metabolized differently. I do not know how the body uses these, but I know they actually do have caloric value albeit very low value. What effect do they have on my body in terms of fat and muscle and does anyone have any info on how the body uses these?

ADB007 is offline Associate Member
    I try stay away from fructose and sucrose as best I can

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    I don't avoid fructose, (most) fruit is delicious and good for you. Fructose, although a sugar, is relatively low on the GI and is slowest digesting of all sugars. If you feel it Fs up your diet though, that's your choice. IDK about ethanol or vinegar, but I know sugar alcohols are supposed to NOT spike your blood sugar at all.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly, fructose is one of the leading causes of obesity in this country. More so, High Fructose Corn Syrup or HFCS. I use the term "supposedly" very loosely. Check out cdc.gov and nih.gov for studies regarding fructose.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    fructose is def dif than hfcs

Which is why I mentioned them separately.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Nothing wrong with fruit at the right times IMHO.

High Fructose DOES make you gain body fat.

Seen the commercial with someone being mocked for pointing out that a product has High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and claiming that "it's no different than ordinary sugar"?
    Well, it's NOT the same as other sweeteners, including "sugar", according to a powerful Princeton University study.

Rats who had access to HFCS gained "SIGNIFICANTLY" more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when the amount of calories they ate was the same.

And the long term use of HFCS also led to increased storage of body fat especially in the abdomen, and increasing in triglycerides floating in the blood.

In other words, no good can come from this product.

It appears that the composition of the HFCS seems to be the reason for the gain in body fat. The chemistry is just wrong for consumption. Time to let it go. There are so many other natural sweeteners that you and your clients / patients can experiment with.

Just this week a study demonstrated how maple syrup contains over 20 anti-oxidants, 13 of which were just recently discovered. And your not going to beat the taste! Help your clients explore taste and quality of cuisine. Not just empty sweetness.

We can make better choices and better enjoy our lives. Help your clients make a better choice by sharing this information.

The Princeton research was supported by the U.S. Public Health Service.
    This was an email I got from a weekly subscription

nonotone is offline Associate Member
    ----
    Last edited by nonotone; 05-20-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Thread Information