Thread: No carb?

crackajap-attack is offline New Member

No carb?

I'm wanting to try something new and do a low carb diet for a few weeks to try and shed that extra belly fat. I want to try it for at least 2 weeks to see how I handle it and then maybe take it 1 week at a time for no longer then 6 weeks (thats if I can have the will to do so). I'm wondering what y'all would recommend my overall calorie intake to be, between fats and protein.

Right now my diet has been between 2,000-2,500 looking like 200g carb 200g protein 50g fat. Give or take some protein and carbs here and there. Eating about 5 times a day.

I am 5'9 and weigh 182lbs.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    My advice is stay away from a keto diet unless you are nearing the single digit BF%.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    60% cals from fat, 35% from protein, 5% (at very most) from carbs - that's how you set up a keto diet. Run a minimal deficit (you'll have to to still get your protein in with such a high fat intake) of 200-500 cals and do LIT only. You'll lose weight quickly if you stick to it properly and don't eat hidden carbs.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    My advice is stay away from a keto diet unless you are nearing the single digit BF%.
    why is that?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    why is that?

x2. I find that below 10% body fat keto is a bad idea. It's better to just step up the cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    why is that?
    Because you can achieve the same amount of body fat loss with carbs in your diet. I felt absolutely awful on that keto diet I did for 2 weeks and lost 5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    x2. I find that below 10% body fat keto is a bad idea. It's better to just step up the cardio.
    Well there are alot of competition level body builders on this board that will disagree with you.

yerrr is offline New Member
    I've tried keto, balanced and so far my favorite which I'm doing now is kind of a modified carb cycle. I only really have carbs pre workout and post workout fruit. Every few days I'll have 150g's or so- it helps keep me satisfied.

crackajap-attack is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    60% cals from fat, 35% from protein, 5% (at very most) from carbs - that's how you set up a keto diet. Run a minimal deficit (you'll have to to still get your protein in with such a high fat intake) of 200-500 cals and do LIT only. You'll lose weight quickly if you stick to it properly and don't eat hidden carbs.
    How many calories should I try to take in? And what would be some of the best sources to get my healthy fats from?

Sorry I'm new to the board and working on my lingo, but what is "LIT"?

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    i feel great on the CKD........

Thread Information